Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

which mortgage? tracker?

Options
  • 18-02-2005 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

in the process of buying a property.

on one hand there's bank of ireland offering a 3.1% tracker mortgage,

and on the other side is EBS's 3.3% variable rate.

i've read that the ECB'S interest rate is supposed to be going up.

i know this will afect our tracker, but how much will it influence ebs's?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭threebeards

paperclip wrote:
    in the process of buying a property.

on one hand there's bank of ireland offering a 3.1% tracker mortgage,

and on the other side is EBS's 3.3% variable rate.

i've read that the ECB'S interest rate is supposed to be going up.

i know this will afect our tracker, but how much will it influence ebs's?

You're right about it affecting a Tracker, but it will also affect EBS's or any other lenders variable rate offering. The only difference being that the margin applied to the tracker (i.e. 1.1% on the BoI Tracker you mentioned) is guaranteed whereas the margin on a variable rate (1.25% on the EBS variable)can be altered by the lender at any stage. Given the choice between variable and tracker, I would choose tracker. How much do you intend borrowing? Loan amount and Loan to Value can have a substantial difference on the rate (if it's a tracker you choose).

Good luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

on the subject of mortgages , is there any (legal) way around getting the full (8%/10%) deposit ?

Advertisement