Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

P4 3.0ghz prescott Vs Athlon64 3000 (Winchester)

Options
  • 18-02-2005 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

heres the thing, i bought a prescott 3ghz (478) and an asus p4p800 and i am buying a athlon64 3000 (winchester core) (939) and i dont know which mobo yet, it will be an agp model 1 anyway. I want to use 1 as a media center for dvds , games, music etc (the more powerful one). Question is which 1 is more powerful?? I will be overclocking 1 of them on watercooling (i dont have the money for 2 watercooling kits) but i dont know which 1 to overclock. Which 1 would preform better overclocked for media?? The otherone will be used as an ftp server with scsi-3 storage server (compaq proliant). Which setup is more suited for each purpose?? Does the extra 512kb cache make a difference on the prescott??

Thanks for the help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

It depends what the main rig will mainly be used for. The a64's outperform the p4's in most games but the opposite is true when it comes to video and audio encoding + multitasking.

I'd say test both of them out on the water cooling to see how high you can overclock them and then make your decission. Some of those p4's will go over 4ghz on water cooling if your lucky. The winchesters are also very good for overclocking. It all depends on the quality of the chip you get.

I doubt there would be any difference in performance using either in the ftp server.

BloodBath

Advertisement