Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geocaching?

Options
  • 18-02-2005 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭

Anyone else here into Geocaching?
    Just started recently myself, and find it a great way to go out and about. It's a lot of fun too.

Geocaching is like a global treasure hunt. People hide caches, which are usually tupperware boxes, which contain a log book and a load of little goodies. They then post the GPS co-ordinates for the Geocache on www.geocaching.com . Anyone with a GPS receiver can then take those co-ordinates and go looking for the cache. When found, they take one of the goodies, leave one, and sign the log.

There are currently over 200 caches hidden all around Ireland, and I'm starting to tick off the ones I have found. Will probably never get them all, but I can sure try!

I'd recommend anyone who is even slightly curious to have a look at the website and try to get their hands on a cheap GPSr receiver. You can currently find some one eBay for around GBP60.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

<sigh> This is why no one posts in these little-used forums :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well in fairness geocaching doesn't have a huge following.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Well it seems there are some geocaching events coming up. Geocaching Ireland has the details. They've also a forum so you may have more luck there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Evil Phil wrote:
    Well it seems there are some geocaching events coming up. Geocaching Ireland has the details. They've also a forum so you may have more luck there :)

Cheers - have signed up to the geocachingireland forum, just seeing if I could get some more people interested by posting here!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 468 ✭✭trap4

I'm only learning about GPS now and would really appreciate pointers as regards what type of receivers are best and what the different features I should look out for are.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭Kev

I started in August but haven't done any since November because of the weather and other things, Its good fun and I hope to start doing some again soon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭towel401

geocaching has a better following now. nearest cache used to be 18 miles away from me a couple of years ago now there's probably 10 within that range

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

This geocaching thingy sounds a little like orienteering for the 21st century - only not as active...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,922 ✭✭✭fergalr

This geocaching thingy sounds a little like orienteering for the 21st century - only not as active...

Well, doesn't seem to involve navigation, or running, so the orienteering parallel is questionable...
    but sounds like fun :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

I'm doing this, its great fun.
    Reviving this thread

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭IrlJidel

Tallon wrote: »
    I'm doing this, its great fun.
    Reviving this thread

There's a fairly active forum on geocachingireland.

Bad timing though. Site is down for upgrades this weekend.

IrlJidel wrote: »
    There's a fairly active forum on geocachingireland.

Bad timing though. Site is down for upgrades this weekend.

Yep i know :)
    Thanks

Just thought I'd keep this one alive

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

Just got into this recently too.

I love my little GPS receiver and the adventures he brings me on.

Found this lovely cache in Wicklow on Saturday:

cache.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,464 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Hmmm, nothing new .. something essentially the same, known as 'letterboxing', started over 150 years ago in Dartmoor in SW England, waaay before GPS had even been thought of ...

http://www.dartmoorletterboxing.org/history%20of%20Letterboxing.htm

Just got into this recently too.

I love my little GPS receiver and the adventures he brings me on.

Found this lovely cache in Wicklow on Saturday:

http://omg.wthax.org/cache.jpg

I really like the DOF on that photo :)
    Good to see another man on-board

Haven't had much luck finding some of the microcaches around Dublin though.

The one in Dublin Castle was driving me nuts. Same for Guinness... just couldn't find it.

I did find the one at Christ Church though.

The one in Dublin Castle was driving me nuts. Same for Guinness... just couldn't find it.

I found it a few weeks ago. I work near there will check its still there at lunchtime.

I havn't done any in dublin yet.
    The one at the spire "stiffy on the liffey" is the easiest one ever

There's a a multipart one in the Stardust Park that's just about 200 metres from my office... must try and give it a go some lunch time.

I was thinking of doing my own series of ones set around the theme of haunted locations in Dublin.

I was thinking of doing my own series of ones set around the theme of haunted locations in Dublin.

PLUG: my friend wrote a book on Haunted Dublin you could use as a reference

• Advertisement

PLUG: my friend wrote a book on Haunted Dublin you could use as a reference

Ah yes. I know it well. The blather guys were at our paranormal convention last year.

I think it could work out as a nice idea as I don't think there are any active ghost walks in Dublin at the moment. So it would a be a good way to introduce people to the paranormal history of the city.

you have to find 50+ before you can create your own, I think

Really? Well 2 down so far... I better get to work.

There's no such rule. See this thread on geocaching ireland.

However. it is prob best not to create one until you have found a few dozen so you can get a feel of what makes a good cache. Good rule of thumb is that a cacher should either have a nice walk or learn something new/interesting by visiting the site. Don't just stuff a box in a hedge just because you want to.

I found geocaching useful when I moved house into a new area I wasn't familiar with. It was a good way to get to know the local history and the local beauty spots.

good job I put "I think" at the end :p

I'm going to create a couple at the weekend so :)

Haven't had much luck finding some of the microcaches around Dublin though.

I did find the one at Christ Church though.
    I found it a few weeks ago. I work near there will check its still there at lunchtime.

Just checked it and Guinness is still there. PM me if you want a hint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 t00116131

found first cache today, really enjoyed it, went looking yesterday and couldn't find it so I had to go back today... i think i just found a new activity!!!

t00116131 wrote: »
    found first cache today, really enjoyed it, went looking yesterday and couldn't find it so I had to go back today... i think i just found a new activity!!!

Good stuff :)

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Sordini

Can anyone recommend a good cache in wicklow?
    Just starting out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭bada-bing

aw this sounds fun! would prefer if you didnt need a GPS though!

Advertisement