Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is the sony psp worth buying at the moment or should i wait

Options
  • 18-02-2005 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,089 ✭✭✭✭

just been looking at the psp reviews and man that thing looks class, finally hand held gaming is coming of age

what im wondering tho, is it worth buying now, or are there sufficient games available to make it worth my while?

how much should i be looking to pay?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,225 ✭✭✭Ciaran500

You should be paying about €200 for the PSP alone.

There are about 3 really good games out now and another batch of great looking games are coming out for the American lauch. Its up to you if you want one now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

If you can get one at standard price then it wouldn't be a bad deal. If you are going to use it for MP3's a movies as well its a good deal. Just remember that you will also have to pay for a very expensive memory stick as well.

For me its not worth it. Not many games other than lumines interest me. I will wait until there is a must have game or the inflated prices have settled down. The other features don't interest me, just the games.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,969 ✭✭✭mp3guy

sure, if you want to buy a Play-Station-Portable-For-Only-2-And-A-Half-Hours go ahead..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

mp3guy wrote:
    sure, if you want to buy a Play-Station-Portable-For-Only-2-And-A-Half-Hours go ahead..

Stop talking out of your ass. The battery lasts 5-6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭Zhane

do people just close their eyes and ears when the battery life is mentioned, sure seems like it, cos iv seen them mentioned at least 10 times on this board.

It runs for about 3-5 hours when playing games, mate. look if ya have the money and you want it, get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭yawnstretch

If you can get one at a reasonable price then go for it - all I would say is watch out for customs if you're buying from outside EU.

It will be out soon and so will all the games - at this stage it may be worth waiting.

If anything - PREORDER. There wont be many.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

http://www.videogamesplus.ca/ have their preorder page up for the psp and their charging 300$CDN ~ 186euro for the value pack which is the cheapest ive seen yet. Plus if u change ure mind u have the option to cancel it tilll the 21st of march, btw does anyone know if wipeout pure is confirmed to miss the american lauch date or what?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

Its well wort getting.

I am very pleased with mine. I paid a lot more then what I would have paid if I had bothered to wait till it arrived out here ... but I just couldnt wait someone was a bad influance ;)

One of the best buy's ive made in the last while.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Is it set to get a battery upgrade?...
    http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8340

• Closed Accounts Posts: 807 ✭✭✭ViperVenoM

european release date is now may 20th or something i think..

so id defo get 1 imported! they rock :D

2hr30 battery my arse...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Bluehair

Dunno why people are still freaking out over battery life, I'm getting at good 5-6 hours out of mine playing Ridge Racers which is fairly power intensive (even regular umd access).

imho it rocks, might still pick up a ds soon but frankly it's not in the same league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

monument wrote:
    Is it set to get a battery upgrade?...
    http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8340

wouldn't take spong.com too seriously, thye seem to get their info from tea-leaves or something

if you read it elsewhere, might be true:)

while I was looking for some info on that I found out sony are to fix all the dodgy [] buttons because they just copped that it WAS a fault :rolleyes:

link

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Bluehair wrote:
    I'm getting at good 5-6 hours out of mine playing Ridge Racers which is fairly power intensive (even regular umd access)league.

isn't RR CPU limited?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 276 ✭✭Illuvatar

I plan on waiting a bit to get mine. There's not a very good game selection at the moment. And if there's anything wrong with it it will give them time to work it out.
    I don't know much about currency but it's going to be around $150 for the PSP and $180 to $190 for the PSP plus all the extras.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,951 ✭✭✭L5

Illuvatar wrote:
    I don't know much about currency .

you can say that again.
    Its $250 for launch in US with the "extras". There is no way of buying the PSP on its own without said extras in the US. so if you want one there it will cost you $250. So it will cost at least that here, in Sonys eyes $1 = €1

Advertisement