Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

emails

Options
  • 18-02-2005 6:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

does anyone know where i can dail members email address.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,659 ✭✭✭✭dahamsta

Would I be wrong in saying that all telephone, fax and email information for Deputies and Senators has been removed from the Oireachtas website? Isn't that just a tad... dodgy? Aren't they paid to represent the people that voted for them, in which case we should be able to contact them? Is snail mail now the only Governmnt Approved method?

(Please correct me if I'm wrong/blind. If I'm not, some noise needs to be made.)

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,483 ✭✭✭✭daveirl

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

you can go to the partys websites and get them there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,746 ✭✭✭pork99

Or call Sinn Fein, they seem to like to keep tabs on that sort of thing ;)

They would probably be able to tell you a lot more than the contact details (ask Aengus O'Snodaigh & Niall Binead)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

pork99 wrote:
    (ask Aengus O'Snodaigh & Niall Binead)
    Not helpful pork (and old so I didn't even laugh). There are enough threads about these particular individuals and their particular organisations and their activities and alleged activities and connections and alleged connections and alleged barbecues that I fail to see the need to move it into this one (or any of the other non-designated control areas).

solice wrote:
    you can go to the partys websites and get them there
    They're not an official government source though.

Ok, fair enough, they're in the phone book, but isn't this an odd message for one of the leading eGovernment proponents? Don't other people feel that this information should be listed on the official government website? I'm starting to feel like a crank here guys, help me out...

adam

everyone has a phonebook! not everyone has web access.....

ok, maybe they should be on a website, irishgovt.gov or something but its in the front of your phonebook

• Closed Accounts Posts: 964 ✭✭✭Boggle

I'd tend to agree with dahamsta on this - Every effort should be made to make them easily contactable by the public and a govt website SHOULD have their mail addresses.
    Funny how they're only interested in talking to the public at election time....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

They may not be as available online as elsewhere so as to prevent the spamming of inboxes by bots scanning webpages for mail addresses.

[Edit]
    Here's a list of the email's of current ministers, taken from the department of the Taoiseach website:
    http://taoiseach.gov.ie/index.asp?docID=248
    [/edit]

• Advertisement

solice wrote:
    everyone has a phonebook!
    Do they? Think now before you answer.
    dregin wrote:
    They may not be as available online as elsewhere so as to prevent the spamming of inboxes by bots scanning webpages for mail addresses.
    True, but it's very easy to set up so that doesn't happen. And what about the phone numbers?

Well spotted on the addresses on the Taoiseach's site, but of course they should be on the Oireachtas site, the official repository of information about Deputies and Senators.

adam

every household with a phone is issued with a phonebook (correct me if im wrong) and the majority of housholds in ireland have a phone. alot more than the number of housholds that are connected to the web.

i agree they should be accessible by web as well but i dont see why this is an issue

solice wrote:
    every household with a phone is issued with a phonebook (correct me if im wrong) and the majority of housholds in ireland have a phone.
    Because of the high cost of line rental, the convenience of mobile phones and the growth of wireless Internet connectivity, this number is decreasingly rapidly. I don't have numbers, but I'd imagine it amounts to tens of thousands at this stage.
    alot more than the number of housholds that are connected to the web.
    This isn't about majorities, it's about universal access to public information, which is what eGovernment is supposed to be all about.
    i agree they should be accessible by web as well but i dont see why this is an issue
    If you agree that they should be accessible, then not seeing non-accessibility as an issue is illogical.

adam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

dahamsta wrote:
    Because of the high cost of line rental, the convenience of mobile phones and the growth of wireless Internet connectivity, this number is decreasingly rapidly. I don't have numbers, but I'd imagine it amounts to tens of thousands at this stage.
    Even if we consider that your figure of “tens of thousands” of people with wireless Internet connections but no landlines, has absolutely no factual basis but appears to be based on nothing more than opinion, you are ignoring people’s access to phonebooks at work, through friends/family, etc or that they probably could just phone up the Dail (on their mobiles) and ask.
    If you agree that they should be accessible, then not seeing non-accessibility as an issue is illogical.
    I think the point he was making is that while the issue of access to this information is important, it’s not an issue on the basis that it is not actually that difficult to get it at present.

Hmm, they're telling me that contact information was never on the Oireachtas site, but I'm pretty sure it was. Wayback machine is no help to me. Am I just plain wrong? Anyone remember?

If it wasn't, shouldn't it be?

adam

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭pete

dahamsta wrote:
    Hmm, they're telling me that contact information was never on the Oireachtas site, but I'm pretty sure it was. Wayback machine is no help to me. Am I just plain wrong? Anyone remember?

If it wasn't, shouldn't it be?

adam
    no, i don't think you're wrong.

I have a distinct recollection of them all being there at one point.

I could find that information at a dozen locations solice, that's not what we're talking about here.

Long shot, but there wouldn't be anyone out there with the old Oireachtas pages in their cache by any chance? This is bugging me now.

adam

Advertisement