Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Help me out here?

Options
  • 18-02-2005 7:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

Hi,

I looking to buy a car and have narrowed it down to 2 choices.

Volvo S40
    Alfa Romeo

I have seen in other threads that the reliability on the Romeo is not great.

Price Range though seems good on the cars I found.

Volvo S40 -- Year 2000 -- Mileage 59000 -- 10,495

Alfa Romeo -- Year 2001 -- Mileage 41000 -- 10,995

The Volvo doesnt seem to have the looks of the Romeo, but then Volvo has a great reputation. What would your suggestions be?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

To be honest, there isn't much space in the back of either of them cars, if you will have people over about 5 foot 8 for long periods, don't, that could hurt, you could look at an older but bigger car, such as an S-Class or 7-Series. If you don't need the extra space I'd reccomend the Alfa, but only if you can get a decent warranty on it, if you can't, I'd stay away.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

alfa looks good but at 40k may not last as long as Volvo.
    Variator/oil problems and other electrical gremlins hunt the good looking ALFA

• Registered Users Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Wheelnut

That S40 was a joint effort with Mitsubishi, theirs was the Charisma. Not the best Volvo (to say the least) and Fiat/ Alfa reliability has improved greatly, so they may not be that far apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

My head says volvo, my heart alfa. :) I owned an s40 a reliable if somewhat boring car.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,310 ✭✭✭alias no.9

If I were to tell you that the volvo most likely features a renault engine, would you still see such a large distinction in terms of reliability?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Depends what you want the car for, to cart around the family/shopping, or as an executive motor. I'd probably go for the Alfa personally, its a 156 you're talking about right?

get a jap car

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Mazda 6?

lafortezza wrote:
    Mazda 6?
    they are still pricey

Advertisement