Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ninth Chevron

Options
  • 18-02-2005 7:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,650 ✭✭✭

The stargate usually uses 7 chevrons to dial another gate and the eighth chevron is used like an area code to dial Gates alot further away (like when they dialled the asgard gate). But I just found out that a ninth chevron can be used on the gate aswell. Just wondering has has anyone has any ideas what it could be used for. (I dont think it has been used yet)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

yep there is a ninth lock thngy on the gate but theyve never used it and ive never seen it talked about so id say it pure speculation as to what it does.

maybe its just the ancients way of planning ahead, in case they wanna go even further again some time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭thelordofcheese

I've heard a few theories ranging from it being for dialing gates on the same planet [makes about 0% sense, but ya never know]to the 9th Chevron would be used for dialing parallel universes.

Take yer pick

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

I've heard a few theories ranging from it being for dialing gates on the same planet [makes about 0% sense, but ya never know]to the 9th Chevron would be used for dialing parallel universes.

Take yer pick

could be the address to asend.....

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭senordingdong

I'm putting my money on time travel.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

You know I used to think that but the Ancients never mastered time travel entirely, bar a couple of instances as we saw in Moebius. Given they built the Stargate network, it'd be odd if they built in a time-travel function they couldn't actually use...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭JustHalf

The Ancients were incapable of time travel at the time the gates were constructed. Remember that planet with the dodgy time machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

It is probbley for dialing alternite realaties or mabe for making connections with gates not on the gate network like being able to lock onto a gate on a ship in the middle of knowhere

I was actually being sarcastic but I guess I'm glad I turned some heads.

I think it's failry obvious that it's to achieve a greater distance.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭Lawdie

Could it just be that they were thinking of the exchanges and building plans for more gates. Jesus maybe the ancients were eircom and drove around the universe hooking up lines/gates, however when the nasty wraith (every other telecoms) came knocking they just would'nt unbundle and did the only remaining course of action and had a nice cup of tea which is kinda like ascending I think.

Art imitating life

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Assuming that a seventh chevorn is minimum for dialing other gates, Eighth for intergalactic distances then a Ninth chevron would connect you one further other galaxies outside our main group of galaxies perhaps?
    Or if that is covered in the Eigth chevron then maybe not alternate realities but maybe sister universes, a tad risky seeing as the laws of physics and physical contants could be different there and incompatible with our mere existence.
    Then again given that virtually everyone in the stargate universe speaks english with either a US or British accent not to mention locates their stargates in a gravel pit I don't reckon it will trouble the writers for very long!

You do all know they make this stuff up?
    Right?

• Advertisement

made up? oh no, its all real, i just left a briefing with SG-1 and they confirmed that they are real.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,610 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Sg-1 is a great show all the same, yet to be convinced by Atlantis though, give it time I guess. Maybe they could dress the no-name Wraith fodder up in red jumpers like in Star Trek!
    That would be kinda cool!
    Maybe even put numbers on the back so we know who is going to get nailed first!
    Although not having Robert Patrick in the opening titles was a bit of a dead giveaway that he was going to meet a sticky end by the finish of the opener!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

atlantis is actually quite good. had several episodes on the computer and never bothered watching until the other night and i must say they are quite good.
    their constant struggle with the wraith and the storyline that is easy to follow makes it just as enjoyable as sg1 but just not as cool as those auto-shotguns they use against the replicators :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Ok i aint no expert on star gate but i do delve in every now and then. I knew there was one extra chevron, used for going inter galactic. The news of a yet another lock is new to me.

I doubt it would be for time travel. Why would the ancients build a time travel machine when they could time travel by the stargate. Its not really logical.
    I would also doubt that it brings you to parallel universes. There was that device that SG1 found. It looked like a mirror on a rock, when you touched it, it brought you into an alternate dimension. I dont know the name of the episode but i do remember in the episode, earth in the alternate universe was under atta ck from a ghould (however you spell it) and was destroyed. If that rings any bells for ye. So basically, an inter dimensional storyline was already done, so why do another?
    I dont like the idea of it having anything to do with ascension (you know what i mean). Seems a bit daft that the idea of ascending can be done by walking through a wormhole......

Have you been paying attention to this discussion at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,637 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I have two theories...

First, it's a gate that transports you onto Jean-Luc Picard's Enterprise, causing you to slap your forehead (rather than his slaphead).

Secondly, you end up in a galaxy where everyone speaks German. (?) (By the way, why don't the nasty/Nazi guys in Star Trek: Enterprise speak in German, or even pretend to have the accent?....Más é do thoil é.....?

Telly has gotten very lazy, especially from the days of Playschool and Jackanory....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jt4buffy

Ok guys im new here so hear me out

we all know that a long time ago there was an alliance with four races, asgard, ancients, nox and furlings

now the seventh chevron could take you to the nox and the ancients

the eighth could take you to the asgard or the ancients again

but we know nothing about the furlings (unless ive missed some episodes), so maybe the ninth chevron takes you to wherever the hell they are. after all, if there was an alliance, then everyone must have had to be able to communicate wit each other.

it would also explain how SG-1 are gonna kick goa'uld ass in one or two seasons (im guessing thats roughly how many more there are to come), they may discover the furlings and ask them for help

any feedback on the idea?

Jay :)

It's already been established that the extra co-ordinate is to cover a greater distance.

Well I guess until the writers come up with some episode set inside John Malkovich's head we will simply never know about the purpose of the ninth chevron.

On a side issue, if a race has control of exotic matter and can force open a wormhole, or an Einstein-Rosen Bridge i think thats the technical realword term for them, then the harnessing of blackhole and other anomalies in spacetime would be easy, time travel would be the first thing to be cracked, given at the level of physics the wormholes operate on the time dimension and the 3 spatial ones are freely interchangable.
    I still imagine that the next distance to cross via wormhole would be the gulf between sister universes, not parallel ones but rather unverses that share reality with us, they can have any set of properties at all, I think the scientists currently believe that huge mass cosmic strings are where two unverses intersect, wow the real world is much weirder than fiction!
    But at least by making timetravel a difficult prospect in stargate they have spared us never ending story lines that rely on time travel to try to refresh a stale show, look what happened to the Star Trek franchise.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Xcom2

Maybe it just reverses the charges?

X

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,350 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

you know this thread is showing up on a page 1 google of 9th Chevron?

Well done lads. Bump.

And we had a Winner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 The Jester Race

Draupnir wrote: »
    maybe its just the ancients way of planning ahead, in case they wanna go even further again some time

And this came even before that on the first page. Maybe it was the ancients - or ahem..the show's creators leaving the opportunity for more story lines when they're out of ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

i know they didnt plan it, but 7 was a normal local address, 8 would be to ring abroad, and 9 was to ring a satelite phone that can be anywhere in the world,

or maybe they read this board to get the idea;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Well the 8th Chevron was first used in "The Fifth Race" in season 2 of SG1 which would of been aired why back at the start of 1999.

Also the film in 1994 used a Stargate with 9 Chevrons. So i think the show kept with there gate design.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Volvagia

User45701 wrote: »
    It is probbley for dialing alternite realaties or mabe for making connections with gates not on the gate network like being able to lock onto a gate on a ship in the middle of knowhere

This theory was pretty close too. A ship in the middle of nowhere...

The writers definitely read this thread ;)

User45701 wrote: »
    What did you know?! WHAT DID YOU KNOW!!>?!?!?!>

I can't remember making those postings, given that it was 5 years ago and all, but I must say I am proud of myself this morning :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭FGR

My question is..

If the ninth chevron can be seen on the earth stargate...

why not dial Destiny? :D

My question is..

If the ninth chevron can be seen on the earth stargate...

why not dial Destiny? :D
    Power. the only way they had enough power to try it the first time was because of the planet Icarus and its Uranium core.

Short Answer, they have no way of recreating the same power levels used to dial it the first time now that Icarus has been destroyed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,905 ✭✭✭User45701

lol no way!

thanks for digging up the thread overheal :)

Advertisement