Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Now that's what I call broadband!

• 18-02-2005 11:43pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,329 ✭✭✭✭

I've just come back from Paris and all over the city there are ads for a new broadband service. The package being offered is 8Mbs and free unlimited calls (there was some restriction on this, I think it was only local calls) all for the princely sum of ONE EURO a day. A friend over there told me that there's so much competition that all the BB providers are offering really good deals at the moment. I wonder what decade Ireland will get 8Mbs?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

zaph wrote:
    I wonder what decade Ireland will get 8Mbs?

Decade ? More like which Century !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Unlike Europe, Eircom controls a large majorty of the telephone network and is resisting attempts for competition to access its exchanges.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Infini wrote:
    Unlike Europe, Eircom controls a large majorty of the telephone network and is resisting attempts for competition to access its exchanges.

And at the same time suffocating innovation and keeping Ireland back in the dark ages.

WTF are COMREG and the Competition Authority doing and how can IDA quote excellent infra-structure to entice companies like Yahoo to Ireland - who are they kidding? What a load of b***ocks !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Attol

Because the infrastructure is excellent for companies like Yahoo. It's just **** for home users. A company like Yahoo can tap into a fibre line as fat as a tree trunk wherever they want in Ireland..... Just eircom dont want to let any home users do it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,713 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

For well over a year now my sister has in her place in Boston, a 10 meg line with 3 comps,her TV and phone setups all operated via the broadband this for $40 a month.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bountydublin

Ahhh Paris....

I'm french and obviously, I think that Ireland doesn't know for the moment BB.. :D .
    For example In France:
    - free.fr : 29,99 € / 20 Mbit/s ( telephone free : national call !!! not local)

- Wanadoo : 8 Mégas / 29,90€

- cegetel : 8 mégas / 24.90€ ( telephone free : national call !!! not local)

and so on...

Ahh Paris.... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

I'm french

You have our sympathies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Bountydublin

merci beaucoup.... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,008 ✭✭✭rabbitinlights

With smart offering 2Mb, how long will it be till we have 8Mb? although the UK doesnt have public 8Mb offers yet........

s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

With regard to competition. Esat BT are trying their hardest to make a stand against Eircom. they have struggled for the last year or so, trying to get Eircom to allow EsatBT their own billing system.(get one bill from EsatBT instead of one from EsatBT and one from Eircom). They managed to achieve it not to long ago.
    EsatBT are also bringing down the price of calls, although not free like France, they are very respectable.
    I have just received my recent bill from EsatBT.

22:04 min call to Cyprus at the weekend - €5.47
    13:36 min to Australia at the weekend - €0.89c
    11:28 min to Tralee during the day - €0.35c

Compared to Eircom prices they are nearly the half price in some cases.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭kasintahan

kleefarr wrote:
    With regard to competition. Esat BT are trying their hardest to make a stand against Eircom.

You're joking right?

Esat unbundled 40 exchanges years ago with gov. subsidy.

Then nothing.

They were happy to sit back and resell Eircoms product.

Single billing? Fantastic, one less sheet of paper every two months, SAME PRICE!.
    The only people single billing really helps is the marketing depts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

smart is going to push esat to unbundle their exchanges as well and release competitive products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

kasintahan wrote:

They were happy to sit back and resell Eircoms product.

Surely if they were reselling Eircom products they would have to charge the same prices for calls? Or are Eircom just ripping people off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,132 ✭✭✭Dinner

kleefarr wrote:
    With regard to competition. Esat BT are trying their hardest to make a stand against Eircom. they have struggled for the last year or so, trying to get Eircom to allow EsatBT their own billing system.(get one bill from EsatBT instead of one from EsatBT and one from Eircom). They managed to achieve it not to long ago.

Would this be the same as what UTV are doing? I'm with UTV bb and for phone calls aswell, as far as I know we dont get any bill from eircom, we just pay our line rental to UTV and UTV pay eircom. That and as everyone already knows there is free calls to anywhere in Ireland and UK after 6 and on weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 866 ✭✭✭thund3rbird_

zaph wrote:
    I wonder what decade Ireland will get 8Mbs?

already 9Mb in Dungarvan Co. Waterford

€40 pm uncapped

see here

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭XT_Dweezil

Well i have to say that Eircom has done everything that they can to prevent the BB becoming available here in Ireland.

Remember in 2001 sitting in Sweden on a 2.5mb (€28/month) and considering it to be slow. Moving here made me realise what a luxury that speed was since i haven´t been able to get anything until october 2004, then it was time for NTL and their 1.5mb offer.

But things will improve in August when i move back to Sweden (study). Then i will have the option of either 10mb for €17 or a shared 100mb for €21 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

yeah i just moved to arizona and i just got 5.5mbit cable with 80 tv channels (including the major networks) fot 30 dollars a month. No cap. I really do get the 5.5 in practice downloading. Long way from 56k in westmeath

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Ahhh Paris....

I'm french and obviously, I think that Ireland doesn't know for the moment BB.. :D .
    For example In France:
    - free.fr : 29,99 € / 20 Mbit/s ( telephone free : national call !!! not local)

- Wanadoo : 8 Mégas / 29,90€

- cegetel : 8 mégas / 24.90€ ( telephone free : national call !!! not local)

and so on...

Ahh Paris.... :rolleyes:

Neuf : 8 Megs, 14.90€ pm

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well probably only start getting proper broadband in this country when the ISP's start going at one anothers throats. As zaph said there was much more competition for broadband over in Paris so thats probably why there actually some real BB offers there.

Advertisement