Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from broadband

Options
  • 19-02-2005 12:40am
    Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I have been banned from the broadband forum for a week by the administrator.

The post that triggered the ban is as followss:

'Surely it would be in Smart's own interest as much as anyone else's to
    clear up this fudge at the start? What is wrong with removing the 'no
    monthly limits' claim and stating something to the effect that Smart do not
    with to impose a cap at this stage and in the light of usage/experience will
    give users definite download guidelines after say three months of the
    product launch. (and in the meantime they reserve the right etc etc). If
    they do not do something like that I cannot see how they can come out on the
    right side of this particular aspect of the product''

I have been critical of Smart since the launch of the product because I
    consider that they have not thought out certain issues carefully.

I do not think that being critical of a company in measured terms should
    result in being banned.

It is my view that the moderator is allowing his own prejudices in favour of
    Smart to cloud his judgement and I wish to formally protest about this.

Surely boards is about free speech within acceptable limits and that free
    speech should not be at the whim of a moderator and his or her prejudices.

Dub45

Below is my correspondence with the moderator:

''Originally Posted by Moriarty

You've been banned from broadband for a week along with a bunch of other people for acting the plonker.

If I forget to remove the ban after a week feel free to PM me about it.''

My reply:

I really feel at this stage that you are acting as a censor. There is absolutley nothing wrong with my last post and I would be grateful if you would tell me what exactly is wrong with it? I made a constructive suggestion as to how Smart can save themselves from what will inevitably turn out to be a serious situation for them and you consider that reason to ban someone. You are letting your own prejudices cloud your judgement.''

Moderator's reply:

"It wasn't your last post, it was the sum of all your posts over the past week or more. I didn't have time to do much then, but I do now. If you don't agree with me, you can take it to feedback and appeal to the admins.

Now, if you'll excuse me, I have to go waste another half hour deleting useless posts."
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

dub45 wrote:
    I have been banned from the broadband forum for a week by the administrator.

The post that triggered the ban is as followss:

'Surely it would be in Smart's own interest as much as anyone else's to
    clear up this fudge at the start? What is wrong with removing the 'no
    monthly limits' claim and stating something to the effect that Smart do not
    with to impose a cap at this stage and in the light of usage/experience will
    give users definite download guidelines after say three months of the
    product launch. (and in the meantime they reserve the right etc etc). If
    they do not do something like that I cannot see how they can come out on the
    right side of this particular aspect of the product''

I have been critical of Smart since the launch of the product because I
    consider that they have not thought out certain issues carefully.

I do not think that being critical of a company in measured terms should
    result in being banned.

It is my view that the moderator is allowing his own prejudices in favour of
    Smart to cloud his judgement and I wish to formally protest about this.

Surely boards is about free speech within acceptable limits and that free
    speech should not be at the whim of a moderator and his or her prejudices.

Dub45

It wasn't for that post and you know it full well, because I just told you it wasn't in a PM that you've read. It was due to your attitude over the past week or more. You're among one of six people that I've just banned for a week, for similar crap.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Moriarty wrote:
    It wasn't for that post and you know it full well, because I just told you it wasn't in a PM that you've read. It was due to your attitude over the past week or more. You're among one of six people that I've just banned for a week, for similar crap.

I was editing my post as you wrote. Again you are revealing your own prejudices in your reply and your 'intemperate' language.

dub45 wrote:
    I was editing my post as you wrote. Again you are revealing your own prejudices in your reply and your 'intemperate' language.
    Yes. My prejudices against stupid people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

It's an achievement to be banned from broadband. Also Moriarty is to bloody old to have his jugement impair by the new kids on the block. He's seen the likes of smart at least four times in the past, As have I.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Link the thread.

• Advertisement

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=224613 (It's rather long as you may notice). I'm in the middle of splitting a load of posts off into another thread that'll be left in the bb forum aswell, in an impossible attempt to keep the first thread vaguely useful.

Ok, since you felt the need to post this AND send it to us via e-mail you've been deemed a spammy git until proved otherwise.

He was abite quick off the mark, kinda suggests he was expecting a ban.

I've read about 20 dub45 posts on that thread now and my eyes are starting to hurt.

well there's only bannage for it now. Go to work ecksor, ban him, ba him where it hurts.

• Advertisement

dub45 wrote:
    Surely boards is about free speech within acceptable limits and that freespeech should not be at the whim of a moderator and his or her prejudices.

I have only picked out your posts to read rather than going through the entire thread, but it appears that none of your posts were individually too bad but taken together it is kindof a broken record and potentially disruptive. "within acceptable limits" (not a bad phrase), free speech is a reasonable approximation of what we sometimes offer to most people on certain forums[*], however it may sometimes be deemed necessary by a moderator to curtail some people's ability to exercise that privilege if it appears that it's acting to the detriment of others getting their point across or the development of the thread.

[*] hopefully that's vague enough not to be used against me the next time I point out that nobody really has free speech here.

ecksor wrote:
    I have only picked out your posts to read rather than going through the entire thread, but it appears that none of your posts were individually too bad but taken together it is kindof a broken record and potentially disruptive. "within acceptable limits" (not a bad phrase), free speech is a reasonable approximation of what we sometimes offer to most people on certain forums[*], however it may sometimes be deemed necessary by a moderator to curtail some people's ability to exercise that privilege if it appears that it's acting to the detriment of others getting their point across or the development of the thread.

[*] hopefully that's vague enough not to be used against me the next time I point out that nobody really has free speech here.

I accept of course that some of my posts reiterated the same points but if you listened solelyto the contributions of anyone engaged in a long conversation over broadly the same topic with new people constantly entering the conversation then of course the points are going to be made again as the issues are raised again.

You mention ''potentially disruptive'' and ''acting to the detriment of others getting their point across'' I dont think any of my posts were either potentially disruptive or detrimental to anyone getting their point across'' but that of course is a matter of opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭Mercury_Tilt

This post has been deleted.

This post has been deleted.

Voice No 1 "that book should definietly be banned!!!!"

Voice No 2 " Have you read it?"

Voice No 1 'Certainly not! I dont need to read it to know it should be banned!!!

And just so as you know:

I did not request more bandwidth or greater uploads or ask technical questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

No but your posts were a pain to read through. "Want it all" is a great phrase for describing some if the posters on that thread. Admittedly there are some 'holes' in Smarts plans, but berating them will only make them want to ignore you. Garfield seems to have taken on at least some of the ideas that people have posted, but he's the Product Manager, he has to report to others higher up. For now they see it to be more economically viable to offer the current product. Who knows what they may offer in a couple of months, thanks to our input? But annoying them now is more more of an incentive for them to kick people off their service for 'abusing' it.
    ecksor's post above is similar to what Smart are saying, ie. we allow a certain amount of usage (maybe heavy-ish) but if you start taking the p*ss then they will pull you on it. Just like what Moriarty/ecksor has done to you dub45, free speech on boards is ok when you don't abuse the privilege and/or other posters.

My 2c

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 Steve S

I was banned, apparently for my first post in that same thread.

I can't look at it now (because I'm banned), but if memory serves, this was a post where I went to the trouble of looking at some French ISPs' sites and providing a summary of the services on offer as a point of comparison with the Smart offering.

Again, if memory serves, the first person to respond to my post was Moriarty himself in order to disagree, saying I wasn't comparing like with like (I was, in at least one instance, but that's another matter).

So I'm supposed to believe that the post was worth a substantive response from the mod but also merited a week's banning from that same mod?

This is arbitrary and capricious behaviour worthy of some unstable tinhorn sheriff.

I insist that I, along with dub45, be reinstated now.

Good post, apart from the last line which kinda makes me want to ignore you.

By the way, Moriarty is playing the same game with me in PMs that he's playing with dub45, alternately claiming I was banned for the 'sum of [my] posts' and that it was the first post that got me banned.

Remind you of any 3rd-world regimes?

Yeah, I PMed Robert Mugabe last year after he banned me unfairly and I felt I didn't get a fair hearing.

ecksor wrote:
    Yeah, I PMed Robert Mugabe last year after he banned me unfairly and I felt I didn't get a fair hearing.

Funny! :D

• Advertisement

Steve S, please stop contorting what I said. I explictly said that your first post was OK and that it was your following posts that got you the ban. Infact, for all those that are enjoying a good read, here's the full PM conversation, split into two to make it slightly easier to follow..
    Steve S wrote:
    Moriarty wrote:
    Steve S wrote:
    Moriarty wrote:
    Steve S wrote:
    Moriarty wrote:
    You've been banned from broadband for a week along with a bunch of other people for acting the plonker.

If I forget to remove the ban after a week feel free to PM me about it.

Sorry but what are you talking about?

What rule am I supposed to have violated?

Steve

It was the sum of all your posts over the past week or more that tipped you over the edge in terms of being more of a liability than an asset to discussion. I didn't have time to do much then, but I do now. If you don't agree with me, you can take it to feedback and appeal to the admins.

That's ridiculous! My posts were informative and on topic. One of the ones you erased had interesting information about broadband offerings in France. As I read French, I was able to translate for the benefit of those who don't the terms and conditions on French providers.

I won't be appealing this because it's not worth the energy. But you really ought to be just a little more circumspect about the way you wield your power. I did nothing wrong and your decision is both arbitrary and capricious. I invite you to reread my posts (if you have a way of doing that once you've censored them). There was nothing wrong in them: nothing insulting, nothing off-topic and plenty of information.

I really am appalled by this, I must say. I almost wonder if you haven't mistaken me for someone else.

Your posts weren't deleted, they were moved to this thread. I don't go around banning people for the fun of it, as I have better things to be doing with my time - infact, I've given temporary bans to less than 20 people in the past year.

Your first post (in the seperated caps thread) was ok, but the rest of them descended into toy/pram/ejection moans.

You'll be unbanned next friday.

First it was the 'sum of all my posts' now it's apparently just one. One that, conveniently, I can't read because I'm banned from the forum.

Apparently, you do ban people, perhaps not for the fun of it but just to feel like a big man. Basically 50% of the posts I've seen from you are threatening to ban this or censor that. OK, well, I hope you've had your fun Mr Tijuana Border guard.

I'll remember this.
    Steve S wrote:
    Moriarty wrote:
    Steve S wrote:
    First it was the 'sum of all my posts' now it's apparently just one. One that, conveniently, I can't read because I'm banned from the forum.

That's not what I said, go and re-read the previous PM.
    Steve S wrote:
    Apparently, you do ban people, perhaps not for the fun of it but just to feel like a big man. Basically 50% of the posts I've seen from you are threatening to ban this or censor that. OK, well, I hope you've had your fun Mr Tijuana Border guard.

I'll remember this.

ahahahahahaha

Pinochet couldn't have said it better. Enjoy your power trip, little man.

Speachless I am. Well ok, almost.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

That should be in the humour board Moriarty! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

Steve S wrote:
    This is arbitrary and capricious behaviour worthy of some unstable tinhorn sheriff.

I insist that I, along with dub45, be reinstated now.
    I thought you said "I won't be appealing this because it's not worth the energy".

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

@Moriarty

Labour of love it is,dont know where you get the time!!!

Ah those pm's should be like Mission Impossible,once read they will self-destruct in ten seconds.No evidence. :D

That could be arranged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

ecksor wrote:
    That could be arranged.
    If you pay for it

Steve S wrote:
    Oh, you don't like people distorting (that's the word, not 'contorting,' pinhead) what you say?

Well, too ****in' bad, pal. I don't appreciate being banned just because you weren't able to get your boyfriend's dick hard this morning.

Yes, yes indeed.

fucking rofl

Steve S banned from System category.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

Steve S wrote:
    Oh, you don't like people distorting (that's the word, not 'contorting,' pinhead) what you say?
    Well, too ****in' bad, pal. I don't appreciate being banned just because you weren't able to get your boyfriend's dick hard this morning.
    flamingmuppet.jpg

• Advertisement

steve wrote:

Ridiculous, Moriarty always get moi hard.

Advertisement