Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from broadband

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

I like ecksors world view.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 10,501 Mod ✭✭✭✭ecksor

Actually, if I offered that reasoning to one of my lecturers they'd correct me very quickly.

Technically you didn't say anything about people who did understand, only about people who don't understand.

Boston, stop calling people names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,163 ✭✭✭✭Boston

Awh discrete mathematics, what if i used the existential quantifier and this predicate. There exits a user who is a tool and who also understood the banning. wink.gif
    Boston, stop calling people names.

Ok, number one.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

Boston wrote:
    There exits a user who is a tool and who also understood the banning.

Could be me but equally could be you ...

Anyway - it's been fun ... time to move on ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Well what can you say, this was originally a bitch-fight between moriarity and dub45 but it's totally gone off the deep end mate. In anycase i've better things to do on the anime forum so to quote eric cartman...

"Screw you guys, i'm going home!"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

hobbesspiral.jpg

The cards are great

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Okay, let's get this straight:

There were some posts on a thread full of posts that seemed to be posted by posters who hadn't read the posts about what posts are good posts and what posts constitute bad posts, so they went ahead and posted bad posts without realising that their posts were bad posts and then the moderator posted another post banning the bad posters (or perhaps they're good posters, just with bad posts?) and deleting the bad posts but some of the bad (or good) posters don't believe their bad posts were bad so they've posted here on the feedback forum about how their other posts weren't actually bad posts and there were lots of other bad posters who really are bad who'd posted bad posts that were worse than their bad posts.

So now the bad posters (who could really be good) are posting posts here quoting other posts about how their posts were unfairly deleted while bad posts from bad (really bad) posters were left posted.

But if they keep posting these posts here they'll eventually get completely banned from posting posts because the posts they're posting are just bad posts across the board and take away from the overall value of the good posts on boards.ie, then they won't be able to post any more and they they'll have to complain to boards by sending post in the post...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Yeah, pretty much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Yes Bernard.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

This is possibly the funniest thing i've read on boards this year.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭parsi

Okay, let's get this straight:

There were some posts on a thread full of posts that seemed to be posted by posters who hadn't read the posts about what posts are good posts and what posts constitute bad posts, so they went ahead and posted bad posts without realising that their posts were bad posts and then the moderator posted another post banning the bad posters (or perhaps they're good posters, just with bad posts?) and deleting the bad posts but some of the bad (or good) posters don't believe their bad posts were bad so they've posted here on the feedback forum about how their other posts weren't actually bad posts and there were lots of other bad posters who really are bad who'd posted bad posts that were worse than their bad posts.

So now the bad posters (who could really be good) are posting posts here quoting other posts about how their posts were unfairly deleted while bad posts from bad (really bad) posters were left posted.

But if they keep posting these posts here they'll eventually get completely banned from posting posts because the posts they're posting are just bad posts across the board and take away from the overall value of the good posts on boards.ie, then they won't be able to post any more and they they'll have to complain to boards by sending post in the post...

Thank God for someone who's able to distill pages upon pages of drivel into the essence of the issue. But why are we talking about postmen ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

/me smirks at latest PM
    Steve S wrote:
    Moriarty wrote:
    You've been banned from broadband for a week along with a bunch of other people for acting the plonker.

If I forget to remove the ban after a week feel free to PM me about it.

Remove it now, please.

You ought to be banned for posting my PMs publicly. That's a breach of the ethics in any board I've ever been on and is what led to my injudicious posting in Feedback (at 3am on a Saturday night and erased 5 minutes later, but of course you couldn't let it pass).

See you at the next boardstock.

I'm lenghtening his ban to a month to see if his attitude changes. I don't want to have to clean up after him when he inevitably starts fighting the power.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,727 ✭✭✭✭Sherifu

See you at the next boardstock.
    Den da den den, den da den den den
    *flashing lights and thunder*

He sure knows how to get himself unbanned. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Moriarty wrote:
    /me smirks at latest PM

I'm lenghtening his ban to a month to see if his attitude changes. I don't want to have to clean up after him when he inevitably starts fighting the power.

he does raise a point though, whatever about his last posts, should this one not be in either the moderators forum or forwarded to an admin rather than put on public display?

Moriarty wrote:
    /me smirks at latest PM

While it might be fun to try and make an ass out of people publically, sooner or later this could come back to haunt you. It might be better to quit while your ahead, expecially if he actually runs into you in person....

haha.. ill take my chances :)

Moriarty wrote:
    haha.. ill take my chances :)

Well if it does happen don't say I didn't send a warning.
    Also it has been a week since you've had dub45 banned...

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Hey Moriarty, how about a whole bunch of us welcome him :)

Somebody call logic1, he loves welcoming these sort of people >:)

(dibs on his lower back btw)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Ernie Ball

I'm new around here, so mebbe don't have a right to comment but I'm very uneasy about the idea of a mod posting PMs publically. That just seems like an abuse of power to me. Most boards dont allow it. Is that not the case here?

I just reread this thread. Whatever about the content of the guy's messages. He obviously feels hard done by. Is it true that he made the post that got him banned here at 3am on a sat night and erased it himself 5 minutes later. Do you not get any leeway after a night on the piss? :eek:

this is a serious point tho: is it not possible an injustice has been done? are there any rules a mod is supposed to follow or can they just do as they please? i'd like to know before I start really contributing here

going to broadband forum now to read other thread.

Ernie

Ernie Ball wrote:
    I'm new around here, so mebbe don't have a right to comment but I'm very uneasy about the idea of a mod posting PMs publically. That just seems like an abuse of power to me. Most boards dont allow it. Is that not the case here?

Hi there. Welcome to boards.

There's no problem in you commenting when it's reasonably made (like you just have). I made the PMs public so that everyone would be clear on exactly how things went. There was nothing personal in those PMs so I had no real problem in posting them - if there had been personal stuff, I wouldn't have. I respect peoples privacy when they give basic respect to other people.
    Ernie Ball wrote:
    I just reread this thread. Whatever about the content of the guy's messages. He obviously feels hard done by. Is it true that he made the post that got him banned here at 3am on a sat night and erased it himself 5 minutes later. Do you not get any leeway after a night on the piss? :eek:

this is a serious point tho: is it not possible an injustice has been done? are there any rules a mod is supposed to follow or can they just do as they please? i'd like to know before I start really contributing here

He clearly felt hard done by. On the other hand, it was originally only a weeks ban from one board among more than 300 here on this site. It was a slap on the wrist that was handed out en masse, to try to get some sembalance of maturity and order into a board that was seriously lacking it. I don't think it was unreasonable.

There's no specific set of rules that mods follow here, because there'll always be a minority that enjoy pushing and bending rules to see how far they can get. Mods are expected to act fairly and in the best intrests of the board(s) they mod. If people have problems with a mod, they can bring it to Feedback and the boards.ie admins will take a look to see if there's a problem.

• Advertisement

Ernie Ball wrote:

Well, most moderators don't do it very often, but if a user comes along and makes claims about the contents of a set of PMs (as Steve S did here), then I think he/she has opened them up for discussion.

Absolutely not. If you come home pissed and think you're posting something you wouldn't normally, then please strongly consider stopping, especially if it is something that you think will get you banned. This isn't a holier than thou thing, if you look closely you'll probably find my posting style a bit different at certain hours of the day and I'm no stranger to cringing in embarrassment when I think of some of the stupid drunk things I've done, but that doesn't make me any less responsible for doing them.

Besides that, there's no way of knowing for sure in most cases if a person actually is drunk or otherwise affected when posting.

Raise the issue here or on the Help forum (depending on whether you just want admins to respond or for it to be open to all users to respond) as calmly and as reasonably as you can and with links/quotes to specific examples and you should get a reasonable answer.

Others may disagree with my optimism, and I'd imagine quite a few participants on this thread would agree with it. You'll just have to judge for yourself I suppose.

Besides, since you were able to raise a problem you saw within 3 posts here without getting anyone's back up or inviting a flame I'd imagine you will not have (m)any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭dueyfinster

In response to Dub45, why do you care about the ban, this is boards.ie!!!

Honestly, it's not even in the top 15 for sites visited in Ireland: http://www.alexa.com/site/ds/top_sites?cc=IE&ts_mode=country&lang=none

Just buy yourself hosting and create a forum/blog..........

You might even be more popular :D

Newbie dragging up old threads make me not like newbie.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

ecksor wrote:
    Newbie dragging up old threads make me not like newbie.

Makes you wonder why he is pimping his site if this place isn't good enough for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,628 ✭✭✭Asok

Hey maybe mr grogan has a point.....

*Note: Before anyone goes weh about data protection its called google and whois so :)

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Pretty good result for boards there, this is the fourth highest ranked .ie webpage accessed in Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

May be regarded as off topic:

Has anyone ever sucessfully appealled a banning?

• Subscribers Posts: 9,716 ✭✭✭CuLT

Sure, I've withdrawn the occasional ban that was handed out too hastily (by me).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,980 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

All the time, but usually when someone explodes all over the internet after a one week ban, they aren't worth anyones time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

Just curious, thanks for the replies. TBH I haven't spotted any injustices yet.

Advertisement