Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Top Ten Most Pirated TV Shows

• 19-02-2005 2:29am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭

Here: http://www.p2pforums.com/portal.php?article=10509

There have been lots of media reports about the downloading of TV shows, raising the profile of it. There was a report on the BBC yesterday. I've a feeling that the authorities will move to try stop this soon.

Does anyone know why there is such a gap between TV shows airing in the US and airing in the UK and Ireland? Maybe soon we will see shows like 24 being shown in the US and here at the same time? It would definitely reduce the amount of users downloading the shows.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

I don't understand why it would be a problem to channels/producers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭stagolee

the film and tv business is in need of a shakeup in my opinion, why do they release everything at a later stage here than the u.s.? i cant think of any logistical reason that couldnt be overcome with modern technology and possibly a moderate expense.
    maybe thats the problem the expense, they arent willing to spend a few quid updating their distribution networks because they reckon if they can get the courts to fix things for them and criminalise filesharers, it will work out cheaper in the short run, hey maybe theyll even make a few bucks sueing people on the back of vastly inflated estimates of lost profit.
    if most new films or tv progam came out at about the same time both sides of the pond a lot more folks would walk down to the local cinema or even switch on the telly than would search the file out on the internet and probably not have it downloaded for a day or two if not longer
    thats my (possibly misinformed) opinion anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

plazzTT wrote:
    Does anyone know why there is such a gap between TV shows airing in the US and airing in the UK and Ireland?
    Simply because the UK channels aren't going to bid big money for shows that get cancelled halfway through a run. Or new shows that may be crap. Waiting till a show's run past it's first thirteen weeks is often a prudent move for UK channels as that way they're less likely to get stuck with large amounts of airtime dedicated to promoting John Doe or Odyssey 5 when the shows get dumped in the US. There's also the stop-start airings in the US (where the shows often take a break for up to a month mid-run some time in the winter) which isn't the practice here. Battlestar Galactica was an obvious exception to the rule as we got to se it first. That doesn't explain why we get to see almost everything after but it explains most of the practice. I'd imagine the gap will get smaller but I doubt it'll disappear to any great extent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

plazzTT wrote:
    Here: http://www.p2pforums.com/portal.php?article=10509

There have been lots of media reports about the downloading of TV shows, raising the profile of it. There was a report on the BBC yesterday. I've a feeling that the authorities will move to try stop this soon.

Does anyone know why there is such a gap between TV shows airing in the US and airing in the UK and Ireland? Maybe soon we will see shows like 24 being shown in the US and here at the same time? It would definitely reduce the amount of users downloading the shows.

Noticed that the shows Europe gets within a short time space are further down the list. Really obvious then that to cure this would be to show them quicker like they do big movies now for same reason.
    I bought Cablelink Digital mostly for the Sci-Fi channel - only to find it was something vastly different than the US one, with hardly any new stuff on it. doh.

1. 24
    2. Stargate Atlantis
    3. The Simpsons
    4. Enterprise
    5. Stargate SG-1
    6. The O.C.
    7. Smallville
    8. Desperate Housewives
    9. Battlestar Galactica
    10. Lost

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,335 ✭✭✭radiospan

Unless FX289 get Family Guy Season 4 very, very quickly, I can see a new number 1 coming this summer. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭ozmo

plazzTT wrote:
    Unless FX289 get Family Guy Season 4 very, very quickly, I can see a new number 1 coming this summer. :D

American Dad is already out. (really bad).

“Roll it back”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

1. 24
    2. Stargate Atlantis
    3. The Simpsons
    4. Enterprise
    5. Stargate SG-1
    6. The O.C.
    7. Smallville
    8. Desperate Housewives
    9. Battlestar Galactica
    10. Lost

Enterprise at number four, and behind three very popular shows. No doubt add a bit of weight to the 'Save Enterprise' campaign.

TV studios should really be putting thought and effort into an Internet distribution system at this stage. They have the benefit of hindsight as to what happened the music 'industry' and can surly see that nothing short of nuclear war is going to stop the file sharing.

They also have a medium that is more suited to advertising. Obviously no one wants commercial breaks in there downloaded TV shows but if it meant full (or at least guarantied) quality, I think most people wouldn't mind putting up with it a bit (or maybe not - ?)

All the studio would have to do is make the file available and hey presto! An audience of millions.

Granted most people aren't quite ready for those types of downloads yet (myself included) but something like the above should be getting done, imho, rather than throwing lawsuits all over the shop.

2c.png.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Movie producers have copped onto this.
    Since the late 90's, a lot of films are released over here and in the US at the same time.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

Hmm. Another P2P thread! :( Although nothing illegal has been discussed here, thankfully :), may I just remind you that you may not link to or discuss warez or torrent sites and files, etc.

Thank you ;)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the story with people in the US downloading shows from the BBC? Seeing as they don't have any ads, is there really anything even slightly wrong with that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

apparently the us dont really care if a few people download there shows.
    it encourages the channels over here to buy yhe more popular shows quicker,
    and since the programs are "prepaid for by advertising" theres no revenue lost

to note:
    pilot of american dad showed after the superbowl, the saeson starts may 1st
    american dad is not family guy season 4
    south park, for example, stops for most of the summer, with 8 eps from mar1 to may, then 8 more in october

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 490 ✭✭delop

byte wrote:
    Hmm. Another P2P thread! :( Although nothing illegal has been discussed here, thankfully :), may I just remind you that you may not link to or discuss warez or torrent sites and files, etc.

Thank you ;)

Where would we be without Self important moderators to remind us hot to behave....
    Are those kind of discussions allowed?

delop wrote:
    Where would we be without Self important moderators to remind us hot to behave....
    huh?

member since 2002, surely youve seen how quickly threads can decend into ..

idiot 1"ooh were can i get that ..."
    idiot 2"heres a link to www.warezontheintenetjustforyoumyfriend.com"

Chalk wrote:
    huh?

member since 2002, surely youve seen how quickly threads can decend into ..

idiot 1"ooh were can i get that ..."
    idiot 2"heres a link to www.warezontheintenetjustforyoumyfriend.com"

So its like saying Bomb in an Airport.... So you can say what you want in a pub but not on the internet??

Boards.ie started off as a great community but degenerated into childish powerplays by a few 14yr olds with their first taste of power.....

ehhhh
    ill say this slowly for you.

piracy is i-l-l-e-g-a-l
    almost any site that has tv shows on it has more warez
    boards cannot allow links to warez from the site

Chalk wrote:
    ehhhh
    ill say this slowly for you.

piracy is i-l-l-e-g-a-l
    almost any site that has tv shows on it has more warez
    boards cannot allow links to warez from the site

Now I assume you are 'saying' it slowly for your benefit, what you were saying was pretty simple , and I can read it twice if I need to.... and you think that statement will be news to anyone? Surely the site that hosts the illegal content is responsible for its actions and a person who speaks about it may not be commiting a crime.. For instance I didnt realise it was illegal to install a P2p program? Surely its the downloading of the content or worse again sharing of the content thats illegal..

Am I responsible for the Earthquake in Iran becaus eIve posted a link to a website? http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/02/22/story190467.html

*sigh*

yes, yes your right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭Abdiel

Unfortunately most systems evolve to prevent the actions of a few people who seek to exploit\abuse said system. Personally I would rather they evolve to encourage or promote the actions of those who seek to improve, sustain or contribute something to the system, but no lets all get on our high horses about a few people who try and ruin it for everything.

Of course all the problems do not stem from the user side as many users who have been banned simply for disagreeing with an overly opinionated mod will testify. It's not just boards either, the law become increasingly complicated to deal with the people who try to exploit existing flaws\loopholes in the system, we end up with strict laws designed to punish or discourage offenders while at the same time effectively punishing the innocent for the acts of those offenders.

Increasingly in modern society the rights of the average citizen are infringed upon in attempts to prevent the anti-social behaviour of a minority.

But still, I know what delop is getting at, it's a bit patronizing at times to be having a normal conversation with nothing untoward even being mentioned, only for somone to jump in and remind us what we cannot do. It's a bit like driving along minding your own business only to be pulled over every 5 minutes to be reminded that you shouldn't speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,107 ✭✭✭John R

delop wrote:
    So you can say what you want in a pub but not on the internet??

Yes because the Irish laws mean that anything posted on this messageboard is effectively published by the boards.ie owners and they are legally responsible for any illegal or libellous posts.

Add to that the propensity the music/film piracy nazis have for going after popular sites that link to pirated material.

So quite rightly they have banned the linking of dubious sites to save the headache of a potential lawsuit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,909 ✭✭✭✭Wertz

John R wrote:
    Yes because the Irish laws mean that anything posted on this messageboard is effectively published by the boards.ie owners and they are legally responsible for any illegal or libellous posts.

Add to that the propensity the music/film piracy nazis have for going after popular sites that link to pirated material.

So quite rightly they have banned the linking of dubious sites to save the headache of a potential lawsuit.

...and not just Irish law.
    I frequent a number of US forums and the admin/mods have similar anti-warez rules.

Why should anyone have a problem with this? There are plenty of means at your disposal if you so desire to d/l illegal content.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,130 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

delop wrote:

WTF? Can you not read? There was no need for the rant, I allowed the thread to continue, but as said by somebody else, the posting of links to warez is illegal and boards.ie could be held responsible. End of story. I just gave a nice reminder.

Now, if you've nothing relevant to say, please go elsewhere on boards. It's big enough.

Thread closed. :(

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement