Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

€50 in Scalps Game

Options
  • 19-02-2005 2:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭

You know how some days it just isn't your day for cards? That was today for me.

The signs were all there a really tough day in work, got home and didn't really want to drag myself out of the chair. Arrived late for the tournament and so on and so forth. If there was any doubt then it was confirmed in the first 5 hands that I played

1st hand I sit down to I'm dealt QQ, I raise to 200 from MP and nobody plays with me...
    2nd hand I'm dealt KK, I raise to 200 again from MP and this time I get 5 callers. Flop comes down 7 8 T rainbow. BB checks utg bets 200 and I raise to 1,000.

BB Thinks for a while then goes all-in and UTG checks. Now at this point I had folded in my head but not quite before my hands had thrust my chips into the centre..BB turns over 6c9c for the filled straight...

what he was doing in there with 69s is beyond me though.

One rebuy later and I'm dealt AQs just before a bum deal is called because someone after me has been given a 3rd card and looked at it, probably just as well no doubt I'd of been outdrawn.

Anyway the rest of the tournament passed uneventfully as we went from 10 tables to the last 24. Didn't see much and what I saw I bet aggresively and took down for the most part. Still with 24 left the blinds were 800-1500 and I've only got a 16K stack. UTG makes it 3K to go, In middle position I look down and I've AJo, call the 3K and Derry sitting next to me pushes all-in for 19K. UTG folds fairly rapidly and I spend a couple of minutes thinking about what he could have. In the end I figured the worst hand he had was AKs and even that was unlikely, so guessing he had one of the three top pairs I fold and show my cards. He turns over KK and I'm happy enough. For a minute I thought he was on a steal, had been raising a lot of pots preflop without getting called.

Anyway I've 14K with the blinds at 1K-2K and I've ATs in MP raise all-in and pick up the blinds. Two hands later I get AKo and raise all-in again for 17K, guy in late position thinks for ages and then calls with JJ, for his entire stack,I get no help and go out in 23rd (around 100 starters tonight, must be close to a record)

Don't think I could have played it any differently, had I flat called or min raised I think the JJ would have to have gone all-in anyway, which I would have called. Frustratingly close, with 35k I'd of fancied my chances to get a top 3 finish but it wasn't to be.

Not my day for cards...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭F Fiesta

Unlucky man, nothing you could do in the end really. Take it you were happy enough earlier when you saw the KK.

35k in the total pot? How was it to be divided?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

I hate nights when you dont get the cards/luck,the bloke with 69....what was he still doing in the pot...!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

on a side note was anybody else here on table 8 at the start of the night? Didn't recognise anyone but the craic on the table was great. Loose doesn't begin to descibe it though, 6 rebuys and two players gone before the break from that table, every other hand there was an all-in bet with the blinds at 25-50 and 50-100 crazy stuff.

Hussain was in Seat 1 and was doing his utmost to distract and put people off, all in good fun I'm sure, and certainly the rest of us had a laugh at it. One down point was one of the dealers though, new girl I think (at least I haven't seen her before) and to be honest she didn't seem to have the first clue as to the rules or how the game was played. Couple of mistakes that stood out

1. Not dealing to a stack because the player wasn't at the table at the time
    2. Putting all the chips into one pot when one player was all-in on a sidepot against two players who were still playing
    3. Not realising that she actually had to deal cards after the preflop betting had finished, had to be prompted on practically every hand.
    4. When there was a split pot she asked whether we should divvy it up or should she?
    5. This is the best of the lot, and it happened twice, the first time I was involved...

Lady in MP raised all-in for 725, I'm in LP and have TT so I call, everyone else folds. Chips go into the middle, and the lady turns over QQ, I turn over TT and say nice hand.. dealer pushes all the chips to the lady!! A couple of us pipe up with you have to deal the cards anyway, as it was I got no help so maybe she just knew in advance and was saving time.

About 10 hands later she did the same thing to much laughter. She was probably really nervous and there was no real damage done, it was taken in good spirit and it definitely helped the atmosphere at the table, apart from Hussain who seemed royally pi$$ed at the whole thing.

Funniest hand on the table was when Hussain was under the gun and flat called, a guy in MP goes all-in out of turn and Hussain jumps out of his seat "You go all-in, I call, I call" needless to say everyone else folds, Hussain calls for almost his entire stack and turns over A5s against AQo...hits a 5 on the river to win it and proclaims "I bet, I win, I play, I win" :D more money than sense...

F Fiesta wrote:
    Unlucky man, nothing you could do in the end really. Take it you were happy enough earlier when you saw the KK.

35k in the total pot? How was it to be divided?

No the hand I went out on would have given me a stack of 35K, well closer to 40K really but there you go.

I think there was about 8-8.5K in the prize pool last night, maybe around 3-4K for first, one of the lads that were working late might be able to confirm..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Iago wrote:
    One down point was one of the dealers though, new girl I think (at least I haven't seen her before) and to be honest she didn't seem to have the first clue as to the rules or how the game was played. Couple of mistakes that stood out

1. Not dealing to a stack because the player wasn't at the table at the time
    2. Putting all the chips into one pot when one player was all-in on a sidepot against two players who were still playing
    3. Not realising that she actually had to deal cards after the preflop betting had finished, had to be prompted on practically every hand.
    4. When there was a split pot she asked whether we should divvy it up or should she?
    5. This is the best of the lot, and it happened twice, the first time I was involved...

Lady in MP raised all-in for 725, I'm in LP and have TT so I call, everyone else folds. Chips go into the middle, and the lady turns over QQ, I turn over TT and say nice hand.. dealer pushes all the chips to the lady!!
    That's a bit odd, I thought all the newer dealers at the Fitz got a good bit of training these days, I've seen Luke and Danielle and other showing them how to do side pots and other stuff when the club opens in the evening and is quiet.
    Had you ever seen the new dealer before? Would it have been one of the gaming floor staff who was thrown in at the deep end because of a lack of staff?

• Advertisement

It could well have been one of the gaming floor staff as Iago said it was very busy and they may have been cought out with to few dealers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,476 ✭✭✭Samba

It's those hands that decide whether you go to the final table or not.

next one is yours Iago ;)

lafortezza wrote:
    That's a bit odd, I thought all the newer dealers at the Fitz got a good bit of training these days, I've seen Luke and Danielle and other showing them how to do side pots and other stuff when the club opens in the evening and is quiet.
    Had you ever seen the new dealer before? Would it have been one of the gaming floor staff who was thrown in at the deep end because of a lack of staff?

She might have been although I haven't seen her at any of the gaming tables either so I don't know. I think it's more likely that she's only recently started there, still no harm no foul.

Not as bad as a dealer on the last table I played on, kept burning cards, then burning the replacement cards, talking back to the players and getting very aggresive. Don't know him, his name was Richie or something, thought it was going to come to blows at one stage ;)

Samba wrote:
    It's those hands that decide whether you go to the final table or not.

next one is yours Iago ;)

Here's hoping Samba, preferably in the €270 game at the end of the month! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Not as bad as a dealer on the last table I played on, kept burning cards, then burning the replacement cards, talking back to the players and getting very aggresive. Don't know him, his name was Richie or something, thought it was going to come to blows at one stage

Whilst this wasn't me (I'm more known for the fact that any ability to count chips expires after 12am :rolleyes: ) I'd be quite suprised if this was Ritchie, he's a good dealer from what I've seen.

A lot depends on the table, the more players that are out to make the dealers life more difficult, the more mistakes you tend to make.

If things are getting very tense you can always ask the TD/floorperson for a dealer change, if you are not one of the people involved in the 'tension' the dealer will probably thank you later.

MadsL wrote:
    Whilst this wasn't me (I'm more known for the fact that any ability to count chips expires after 12am :rolleyes: ) I'd be quite suprised if this was Ritchie, he's a good dealer from what I've seen.

A lot depends on the table, the more players that are out to make the dealers life more difficult, the more mistakes you tend to make.

If things are getting very tense you can always ask the TD/floorperson for a dealer change, if you are not one of the people involved in the 'tension' the dealer will probably thank you later.

It was definitely Richie ;) but I'm only joking and waiting for him to rise to the bait!

He did make a few mistakes, but they were brought on by players at the table acting the eejit and getting on his nerves. It did get very tense at one point but then there was a break and it calmed down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭Marq

Requested dealer changes do not happen in the fitz. the club's policy is not to change a dealer at the request of a player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

hi Iago. I was moved to table 8 about 1/2 hour before the break and yes indeed it was quite a fun table. The dealer in question did appear to be new as I have never seen her either on the poker tables or on the gaming floor. She was a little Indian girl and good natured but appeared to have never dealer poker before and was quite unsure of the rules. Apart from the mistakes mentioned she also accidently exposed some of the players mucked cards as she was collecting them. Nevertheless the table was very good natured and everything was taken in good spirit. Apart from Hussein everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and there was voiced disappointment when the table was broken up.
    Hussein was a maniac. The hand where he called the all-in out of turn was really stupid. Furthermore his action influnced others on the table as he showed his cards to the all-in player with people yet to act before him. One short staked played who moved from another table folded 10 K spades which he have gone all-in on also if it weren't for Hussein and his actions. He would have won also as the flop came down 10 10 x.
    When the table broke down Hussein and I got moved to table 3 where Hussein met the rath of Bob with a big chip stack. Bob took Hussein out of it fairly lively and Hussein then stook around for pretty much the rest of the tournament looking on.

hi Iago. I was moved to table 8 about 1/2 hour before the break and yes indeed it was quite a fun table.

What seat where you in? I was in seat 8..I think, yeah definitely 8

The dealer in question did appear to be new as I have never seen her either on the poker tables or on the gaming floor. She was a little Indian girl and good natured but appeared to have never dealer poker before and was quite unsure of the rules. Apart from the mistakes mentioned she also accidently exposed some of the players mucked cards as she was collecting them.

I noticed that, as well as exposing cards from a player who had won a pot without a showdown and had thrown his cards face down back into the pack!

Still it was good craic while it lasted, wouldn't have minded staying on that table for a while, there were a few stacks up for grabs at it.

How does Hussain come across to you lot....?I have played with him a few times and he is some showman.I no alot of the older players hate playing on a table with him.So how do you find him...?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,700 ✭✭✭tricky D

Iago wrote:
    It was definitely Richie ;) but I'm only joking and waiting for him to rise to the bait!

He did make a few mistakes, but they were brought on by players at the table acting the eejit and getting on his nerves. It did get very tense at one point but then there was a break and it calmed down.

Hmmm bait...

Most of the few mistakes, some mine, some not, occured on a single hand and it was a bit of a clusterfsck. Accidents happen at the tables and there are rules for when they do. Unfortunately, they weren't followed properly in this instance, mainly by 3/4 in particular, making my situation difficult. As MadsL says a few posts above: 'the more players that are out to make the dealers life more difficult, the more mistakes you tend to make' - so true. These ppl are regulars who on this occasion didn't seem to know the rules or ettiquette (out of turn, hiding cards and stacks, calling the wrong rules, hands in pots, throwing cards, etc.), so some tension as I attempt to be assertive with limited success. Cue some of that patronising Sunday night rudeness thread behaviour and this dealer goes on a bit of a tilt, takes deep breath and counts to 10. Got off the table a few hands later.

A bit of an eyeopener wrt rude vs polite players. Iago was of course polite even if he's a house on the river beatin my nut flush on flop swine ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

Thanks Marq, didn't know that.
    Any reason why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 158 ✭✭BrendanB

People are too bloody superstitious, they'd be asking for a new dealer as often as they ask for a new deck, and certain players have had issues (both bad beats and otherwise) with certain dealers, and would just make life too difficult if they could call for a new dealer.

Though if there was a real problem I'm sure that if you had quiet word in Luke's ear he'd sort something discreetly.

I remember it happening when I had just started and Jim Heffernan had had a bad run of cards (nothing spectacular, but he hadn't played a hand in a round or two), and he leans over politely from seat 6: (only funny if you know Jim)

Heffo: 'Can I have a new dealer?'
    Me: 'Excuse me?'
    Me: 'I'm sorry, is there a problem?'
    One of the regulars: 'What wrong with you Jim?'
    I call Danielle over.
    Dan: 'We don't change dealers here.'
    Pause.
    Heffo: 'Can I have a new deck?'