Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wireless 802.11b and Wireless Alarm system.

• 19-02-2005 12:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭

Hi Guys and Gals,
    I've recently moved into a new house. I am currently using Eircom homestarter BB with their Netopia wireless modem/router. May not be the best kit in the world but it works and does what I ask of it. ( plus the company pays for it :D )

The missus wants to get an alarm in and shes been talking to the sales folk that came knocking.

She has it in her head that we are going to get a wireless alarm system or I can use my fist :eek:

My query is ....does anyone know if the signal used by the Eircom wireless phone watch interfer with 802.11b or G signal to the router?

Thx,

Goosey

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It shouldn't. Check that the Wirless Alarm doesn't operate in the 2.4GHz range, and it should be fine.

The phonewatch website doesn't give technical spec of their equipment. Don't believe the salespeople when they tell you it won't interfere with your router (and they will say that). They have no brain and a penchant for barefaced lying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 115 ✭✭Goosey

seamus wrote:
    They have no brain and a penchant for barefaced lying.

Cheers Seamus ....that's what I thought when I asked them the quesion and got a blank vacant stare for about 2 secs. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

If at all possible AVOID a wireless alarm system. I had the misfortune of 'upgrading' an existing (but older) wired system to a wireless one, hand have been plaugued by a 300% rise if false alarms from the PIR, and the panel reporting loss of conntact with certain receivers.

There isn't an issue with WiFi, as the levels of errors were the same both before and after it was installed. We went back to a wired system but with a new panel and detecttors and all is well.

Wireless is only successful were a wired system would be impractical - for a house alarm or doorbell, it's worth the effort to follow the wired route!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Yea, 2.4Ghz is bad for wireless networks as I found out. I have wireless video senders that I plugged in and my network died. Hence I'm selling the video senders ;)

John

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 651 ✭✭✭sirlinux

eircom phonewatch operates around 400 ->430 mhz if i remember, strangely enough those wireless oil tank meters can feck up phonewatch, but phonewatch wont make a difference to your wireless network.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Gosh

okonski wrote:
    ... have been plaugued by a 300% rise if false alarms from the PIR, and the panel reporting loss of conntact with certain receivers.

Had the same problem with loss of contact and false alarms, after 5 visits by the engineer he adjusted the antennae in the control box to go diagonally across the box instead of down the side (which btw was against a solid wall) ... since then absolutely no problems at all in 3 months.

Phonewatch wireless works on 4+ GHz - I've had this and a wireless network in the house for 6 months (Phonewatch panel and wireless AP in the same hallway - no more than 30 feet apart) with no problems at all ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,536 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

I've had no problems at all with my wireless alarm system (Phone-watch) and my 11b wireless router. I also have wireless audio/video running, and some RF sockets and a microwave.

They all work perfectly well together.. We just need to wear tin-foil hats in the house at all times. :D

BTW: Phonewatch may not be too keen to install a wireless alarm system if they know you have broadband.. (it certainly is the case the other way around, i.e. installing BB if you have a wireless alarm system). They'll probably try and charge you an extra 150 quid for a 'special' engineer! In my case, I lied, and told my BB provider I didn't have a phone-watch alarm (and everything works fine), but it may not be as easy in your case, where the phone-watch engineer will be performing line tests etc., so it's probably in your interest to tell them up from you have their DSL product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

If your phonewatch is a 'cream' coloured box with a mans voice, it works on 319.5mhz

If its a white box with NO voice, its operating on 433.0mhz ('Piece of white trash' us engineers used to call that one... :D )

If its a white box WITH voice and two big ugly aerials up the top, it also works on 433.0mhz - or VERY recently 868.25mhz.

They don't use Ghz at all - they're not permitted.

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,486 ✭✭✭Redshift

If its a white box with NO voice, its operating on 433.0mhz ('Piece of white trash' us engineers used to call that one... :D )
    ;)

Ah god bless DA Systems :rolleyes:

But The Security Man is correct with the frequencies and they are well away from the sort of frequencies wireless networking uses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭The Security ma

It looks like we might know each other Redshift??

Did they screw YOU in the end as well, like they did ME ??

• Advertisement
Advertisement