Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can one upload by FTP or any other means in UCD?

• 19-02-2005 4:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭

I wish to upload some HTML files to my webspace. I know I can do this via my browser but it involves attaching each file individually...ala attaching files in e-mail. It's time consuming to say the least.

Surely there's a quicker option than this? I realise FTP doesn't work on wifi and my mate told me computer science doesn't allow uploading by FTP.

Help?!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,580 ✭✭✭uberwolf

NAL has an FTP client in there.

Also you can FTP in UCD, some of my mates have set themselves up as FTP servers to swop films etc, not sure it works so hot on the wireless though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭Bri

Yeah I've seen the FTP client but presumed it was restricted or something. Should have been more nosey.

Thanks!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Irony of irionies, isn't the computer science department web server a Win 2000 server - maybe the FTP server is just crashed on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Yep you can use FTP. (I've had no problems, YMMV). Netsoc have a FTP client linked from their homepage http://www.netsoc.com, it's called FileZilla (it's on the bottom left). It lets you install the programme anywhere, so you don't have to install it in C:\Program Files.

If you mean netsoc then you should be alright, although FTP access to anywhere including netsoc won't work on WiFi.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

Red Alert wrote:
    If you mean netsoc then you should be alright, although FTP access to anywhere including netsoc won't work on WiFi.
    Ah WiFi.... Never used to old WiFi myself, so I don't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

FTPing is no simple task in my experiance. I can access a server i'm using as part of my project using Tera Term on NAL but to move files between the server and my desktop machine, i have to use a yahoo website as a go between because the server's on the staff network.

is this the elusive eleceng server?

can you log into the console? if so you could ftp your files to somewhere like netsoc or straight to home over broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting seamus. Have you used it much yourself?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yep.

The first few times, have an online german-english dictionary there till you get used to the interface! :D

Only problem is because it's HTTP-based, you can't upload large files (not sure, but maybe > 5MB).

Cool thanks alot for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

I can log on to the yahoo website, but i'm having no luck contacting the ucd server, there isn't an ftp set up on it maybe, my knowledge of such things is, to use the technical term "sketchy"

Advertisement