Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rented accomadation and broadband

• 19-02-2005 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭

I'm going to have a property to rent soon and was wondering about including free broadband (maybe of the SMART variety) possibly with a wireless router thrown in. Would this be a big draw for potential tenants??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

IMHO probably not and it would not be a primary feature of the property. I'd put it in the "nice to have but not essential" category. Many web users are not even on broadband and would not really see a 2MB connection as any great shakes, never mind understand what that means, especially if it appeared to add more to the rent. But go for it, think it's a good service to install and IMO all private properties should really have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,837 ✭✭✭✭cormie

I'm considering moving out and a wireless connection would definitely be a big plus as I would have to pay a set-up and monthly fee otherwise. I need a net connection for running the below. I wouldn't expect to pay for it though since it is only costing the landlord €30 per month and they would be getting 3/400 rent pm.

Just out of curiousity, where is your property located, what do you charge etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭digitaldr

Property is in Cityside (first letting)http://www.ireland.com/newspaper/property/2004/0916/700750623RPFINGLAS.html

3 bedrooms 2 ensuites and 1 main bathroom. Also has a dishwasher, microwave, washer drier etc. Would be looking for around €1200. Should be ready in about a month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

You're mad.
    You're in a seller's market - most landlords think a tenant is doing well if they include walls and electrics. Put on the market first and then think about it. Anyone interested in broadband will know what they're looking for before they move.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

It'd be a little incentive for me but I'm not normal people. Also I wouldn't be sharing a 3 bedroom apartment with anyone as I like my sanity and hence wouldn't be in your catchment area in any case.

To be honest if people are paying 1200 a month, 30 euros worth of stuff for free would probably be better spent on a Sky sub.

Even if the main bathroom has a microwave and a dishwasher:p

(of course if it's of the Smart variety effectivel it's a 50 quid value as the line rental is free as well. Might be sellable on the free phone rental thing moreso than the BB)

• Advertisement
Advertisement