Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fare Thee Well; Nitelink (Midwek)

Options
  • 19-02-2005 9:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭

This has really annoyed me. (http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=227623) I am a big fan of the Nitelink, and use it a lot to go to College and other events during the week and sam really pissed of that this has happened. In fact I hoped that they would increase the service.

They way I see it is I'm gonna have to stop going out in the week because I can't afford a Taxi Fair or stay in a mate's which I prefer not to do a lot for a number of reasons.

I think this will have a big effect on the College Social scene.

Comments

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

i am VERY annoyed about this.....

for myself to go out on a wens... ( thursday is our only late start) it will cost me the guts of 30 euro just to get home.....

/me serriously rethinks applying for campus accomidation

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Start a petition on this one seriously - even if its only a 3am one and nothing else, its better than a total shutdown..........

• Registered Users Posts: 8,452 ✭✭✭Time Magazine

That really is quite bad. I live in Leixlip and that means if I'm in town or college I have to leave before 11:30pm.

I shall get Fine Gael onto this!

No, seriously, I'm pursuing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

move your house to be near the luas and you have until 1am to stay in town

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Andrew 83

That's really bad news. I frequently get Mon-Wed Nitelinks so it's a big blow though I'm not really surprised considering how much they've been cutting back on them over the last year or so. I think students will be the worst hit as some of you were saying as a lot of us can't exactly afford taxi fares every night :-(

• Advertisement

Yeah it'll mean less 4 euros spent on buses and more drunken cycling home, which in the long scheme of things probably isn't good.

I am sure a Nitelink service is viable.

Put the fare up to €5. Allow passengers en route and double up the service on the way back in maybe. Running 1 bus per night (2 where demand allows) is surely not that expensive. I bet you could get a driver doing a run for €100.

And whether something is literally profitable or not does not necessarily mean it's not a good investment. Take security guards, they cost but their cost is greater than the enivitable stolen goods.

Dublin Bus have to run services at obscure hours to facilitate those of us who don't drive etc. If Dublin Bus failed to provide a service into town at a crap hour, people who sometimes get that bus (and pay €2.10 every morning as well) will buy a car.

And DB have to break even, yes I do study Economics, but the government do not say they can't run any necessary loss-makers. I'm sure the Min for Transport wouldn't mind one bus at a night.

Its also a case of public service. Dublin Bus exists to serve the community that needs them - and people need to be able to get home late at night.

We should start lobbying. Many TD's and councillors do respond to e-mail.

could we pull a "lorna jenning's"?

could we pull a "lorna jenning's"?

:D:D:D:D:D

That phrase should be added to the Urban Dictionary as synonymous with Spam.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭elle

Oh my god this is just so bad, i work in town, nitelink was so handy for me coz its right by the place I work. I generally wouldn't finish til 1am and really getting a taxi home every night would cost me about e100 a week. I thought the luas might make up for the loss of nitelink, but last luas is at 12.30. it's a joke, really even if they did increase the fare to 5e, do they not take into account how many people rely on the bus service?What's the point in running a bus service if it's gonna mean restricting where you go an when you go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,523 ✭✭✭ApeXaviour

elle wrote:
    I generally wouldn't finish til 1am and really getting a taxi home every night would cost me about e100 a week.
    If this does end up happening I'd seriously recommend moving to town (student accomodation obviously), you'd save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

if in march, they do actually stop all nitelinks during the week i recommend armageddon.

i wrote this last night after making the nitelink, then sleeping thru my stop, then ending up 7km from my house. yay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭ClareBear

This is so out of order. :mad:

is angry banana actually enda kenny. i know his first name is enda. they are so similar it's scary.

is angry banana actually enda kenny. i know his first name is enda. they are so similar it's scary.
    Well that depends on your opinions on cloning.

i knew it.

I'm not as friendly or as boyishly handsome as my namesake Kenny.

yeah. ur more a rugged handsome ness. you are talkative. friendly? probably.

That sounds scarily like flirting.

• Advertisement

i prefer boyishly handsome.

(Damn)

Do you rescue little old ladies from cars in your spare time?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,095 ✭✭✭Chick

Who doesn't? :p

• Registered Users Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

DrIndy wrote:
    Do you rescue little old ladies from cars in your spare time?
    Isn't that abduction?

everyone needs a hobby.....

philately - stamp collecting.
    grannytely - collecting grannys/ emmerdale

I collect Emmerdale.

I was referring to enda kenny.......... :D

• Advertisement

Haha, I was making reference to the post immediately prior to mine though.

Advertisement