Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Taking up rugby again after some years...?

• 19-02-2005 10:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭

Heyo :)

I used to play schoolboy rugby in St.Marys College, Rathmines up until about 2nd year I suppose. I used to do a lot of sprinting too etc.. I've since left collge, but have stayed quite fit. I'm quite sure I'm far below the fitness level of regular rugby players though.

I've living in Dublin City Centre.... anyone got any thoughts on a club or contact I should be pointed towards?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,958 ✭✭✭✭RuggieBear

plenderj wrote:
    Heyo :)

I used to play schoolboy rugby in St.Marys College, Rathmines up until about 2nd year I suppose. I used to do a lot of sprinting too etc.. I've since left collge, but have stayed quite fit. I'm quite sure I'm far below the fitness level of regular rugby players though.

I've living in Dublin City Centre.... anyone got any thoughts on a club or contact I should be pointed towards?

You'd be suprised at the lack of fitness at the lower levels.... :D

There are a few city centre'ish clubs.....Bective, Old Belvo, Old Welsey, Monkstown....all in D4. You could try St Mary's in Templeville road, or Stillorgasn who play out of Bird Ave or Clontarf over on the North side

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭plenderj

Ahh thanks.... hmmm D4. I'm from around that area originally, so no problem travelling to there.
    Any in particular you'd recommend?

And what would a club actually do with a new member? I mean, I'd be useless (I'd imagine) for any real purpose...

plenderj wrote:
    Ahh thanks.... hmmm D4. I'm from around that area originally, so no problem travelling to there.
    Any in particular you'd recommend?

And what would a club actually do with a new member? I mean, I'd be useless (I'd imagine) for any real purpose...

Well i have a few mates who play for Bective. Usually you'll be thrown at the lowest team and you work your way up on merit from there. Something like J3 level. Depends what position you play really?

The positions I played in school were stupid. I think I was the youngest and smallest in my class, and was put into the front row. The point of that is beyond me.

After I gave up rugby and was playing tip-rugby in school, they wanted me back after I continuously outran the winger on the JCT team.

I'd only be interested, and suited, for a position in the backs...

if you have a bit of pace you'll be fine

Mind you you'll find adult rugby very physical compared to schools....

• Advertisement

Yeah I can imagine :eek:.
    I went onto the bective site and sent them a mail. Bit late to call at nearly eleven ;)

Well it's not that the hits and tackles are harder, it's just that the ripping of the ball at rucks/tackles is much stronger.

That was my main issue when i left schools rugby....as an 18 year old prop/no 8 i kept getting the ball ripped of me by stronger/older wingers and the like. Soon bulked up and was fine.

But i found it quite disheartening at first.... :D

I'm a sucker for self-punishment. I'm taking up Taekwon-Do too at the moment too :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 wicklow

Any of the clubs would welcome you with open arms ! Kinda depends what social life you want from it too. Have you any mates in Marys still ? Or some of your college mates may have gone on to one club or another. I believe Stillorgan is an up and coming starter club and the players are good mates. I saw a number on a lamppost at the corner of Bird Avenue in Clonskeagh. I think they train Tuesday and Thursday in CUS grounds at Bird Ave. Bective has good social life too. None of them are as socialable as they used to be though imo.

Nah don't hang around with anyone from Marys or College anymore I'm afraid. But my family's living in Milltown they do a lot in Donnybrook, so I think Bective would be a logical choice. I've been in contact with them via email, so hopefully this should get the ball rolling - no pun intended ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Ring the club, ask what night their j3/j4 teams train, turn up at the ground with your gear. That's all there is to it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Longstaff

Spend the next few months getting fit and play rugby league in the summer. It's just like tip rugby except with tackling. Great fun.

Advertisement