Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

OE. No Messages in Folder, yet DBX file says its 13MB!

• 19-02-2005 11:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭

Yes, a curious one.... and I am still using Outlook Express. OE 6, XP Pro SP2.

I have several folders in OE open, as sub folders of the Inbox, and these have started to grow and grow over the years. Now, when I click on some of the folders, there are no messages displayed. In the corner it says "0 Message(s), 0 unread". Yet, the DBX file in the store folder in windows reports the correct size, in this case 13MB. I have larger folders, and they are the same. Other folders, such as Inbox are OK and viewable.

Annie eye dears?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

does compacting the mailbox make any difference? I don't where the option is in OE, but there should be one somewhere.

KR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Your mail folder is empty, yes?

As King Raam said, compacting should help out. In the folder pane, click the Outlook Express icon at the top of the tree so no folder (e.g. Inbox, Outbox etc) is selected. Now click File > Folder > Compact All Folders. Now wait for this to finish and don't do anything on the machine until its done.

This is needed because when you delete a message, OE doesn't actually remove the message from the database, it merely flags it for deletion, like many other database programs. The message is only deleted when the DB is compacted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

I shall give it a whirl later. Thanks :)

No, I'm afraid the same occurs after compacting. It has actually decreased that one folder to 137kb, when it was full with 13MB. :(

• Advertisement

Is it that when you store messages in the folder they simply disappear?

I encountered this problem in a school once, the principal's laptop couldn't store any messages, they'd download but then be deleted immediately. I later found that the problem was caused by McAfee. Removed it and the problems stopped.

No, not quite that... I have message rules setup for them to go into certain folders, and then, I was presented with that.

Those messages appear to be gone now so, ah well. :(

Advertisement