Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gameboys and Aer Lingus

Options
  • 20-02-2005 1:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭

Does anybody know if you are allowed to use an SP on Aer Lingus flights?
    I have a flight on Monday morning and I have to play Tiger Woods or I'll be bored out of my skull.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Depends on the flight from what iv seen from past posts/threads. Web Site says its ok I think, so policy may have changed and been staightened out. Take it out and play it see what happens ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,374 ✭✭✭Gone West

i was on the dublin - lax and they let you use them 10 mins after takeoff until 10 mins before landing. 11 hours is probably enough!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,216 ✭✭✭MrVestek

What i don't understand is... how could a GameBoy interfere with Airplane instruments? That just doesn't make sense, a mobile phone or laptop i can understand... but a gameboy?!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Only wireless features could interfere so far as I know, which probably just means no multiplayer DS action on a flight (no matter how much that would rock...).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

I dunno, it's not like they have lasers in them.
    As long as I can listen to my mp3 player and play Tiger Woods I'll be happy.
    Couldnt find a list of banned things on the Aer Lingus site.

• Advertisement

yeah i know, but just to have a blanket ban, they say any "portable electronics." silly, i know but what can you do? theres little tvs on the back of every seat with games etc on it (only tranny atlantic flights AFAIK). have a good un

Only wireless features could interfere so far as I know, which probably just means no multiplayer DS action on a flight (no matter how much that would rock...).

WiFi is available in flight from some air lines so dont see it being a big problem but I reckon Aer Lingus wont go for it for a while ;)

Taken em this long to go for GameBoys!

This thead is identical to the last on the subject BTW :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,503 ✭✭✭Makaveli

Meh, I couldnt be bothered searching. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,285 ✭✭✭Smellyirishman

Nice response from a mod! That is totally my new signature!

(I bet you tell people to search everyday in whatever board you mod, or at least you wish they did)

Slightly on topic, I would imagine both a DS and a GBA would be fine, usually, plans are on a different frequency, and since GBA doesnt even send out info they are harmless. Although, despite this being so, you might get an airhostess that just says no to all electronics out of ignorance :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,918 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

Bottom line is that it depends on the captain on the flight...unfortunately they think they are GOD. Officially you can use most electronics after takeoff up until before landing.

That "laser controlled electronic devices" was bollocks. There is absolutely no way a laser can interfere with an aircraft. (unless its shining in the pilots eyes). However it is remotely possible that the harmonics from any electronic device can interfere with the Aircrafts electronics. This is especially so for non-pc electronics that dont have to pass FCC shielding requirements like PC's and laptops do.

However since Airlines have just copped onto the fact that they can make money from people who want to use Wifi and Mobiles on a flight - expect the tosser sitting next to you to be using both in a couple of years time. Ie its only a safety issue if the airline cant make money out of it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

Yeah, you can use portable game devices on Aer Lingus, they (finally) uplifted the ban last year.

as of sep 11th lasers or all kinds are banned on hand luggage/on person on all domestic american flights. I think that some national/international airlines have adopted this stance too.

Thats laser pointers not the internal lasers of cd players and cd-roms.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,815 ✭✭✭✭po0k

Bottom line is that it depends on the captain on the flight...unfortunately they think they are GOD.
    Well while they're at the controls, for all intents and purposes, they are God. Your life is in their hands.

SyxPak wrote:
    Well while they're at the controls, for all intents and purposes, they are God. Your life is in their hands.

Pilot has legal responsibility for everyone on board so you he's god and what he says goes...

SyxPak wrote:

Actually usually the real god is the autopilot :D

They are just glorified bus drivers after all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

When I went to new york two years ago they wouldn't let me use my gameboy. It made the trip oh so painful :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DeBeere

Actually usually the real god is the autopilot :D

They are just glorified bus drivers after all.

Glorified bus drivers my ass...considering they have to study more for their licence than college courses....have you ever heard of auto land and auto take off?? didnt thinks because there is no such thing.....what about saftey checks and all that stuff

Think about what you write next time ;)

DeBeere wrote:
    Glorified bus drivers my ass...considering they have to study more for their licence than college courses....have you ever heard of auto land and auto take off?? didnt thinks because there is no such thing.....what about saftey checks and all that stuff

Think about what you write next time ;)

AirBus have had an AutoLand feature for ages (atleast 10 years). Alot of planes have an AutoLand other then the Airbus as well. Depending on how you look at it either the computer (and its 7 backups and internal voting system etc.) or the pilot is the backup system. Really depends on you point of view...

;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,080 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

Next time somebody should think about what they write before they write it. :)

LOL I was going to say that but bit my tongue (or fingers as the case may be) ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,865 ✭✭✭Syth

DeBeere wrote:
    Glorified bus drivers my ass...considering they have to study more for their licence than college courses....
    Not to mention all the medical tests they have to pass. Can't have the piolet having a heart attack midway across te atlantic. And perfec vision.

Syth wrote:
    Not to mention all the medical tests they have to pass. Can't have the piolet having a heart attack midway across te atlantic. And perfec vision.
    The medical tests arent all that strenuous, and the requirement for perfect vision disappeared years ago. Loadsa pilots wear glasses nowadays.

Advertisement