Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Txting on a Pocket PC phone

Options
  • 20-02-2005 2:41am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭

My next phone will more than likely be something that is capable of Wifi and running Skype/Vonage. However since this may lead me down the pocketpc route and I do a lot of txting...how does texting work on a PocketPC phone. Do you use a virtual numeric keyboard with T9 text or do you have to pick out the letters using a stylus?
    I ask because it may influence me getting an Imate Jam or not. Im not interested in a big PDA phone its either the Jam or a MS smartphone.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭okonski

Well, my PDA uses the standard stylus which I find easy to use and there's also the ability to store a selection of pre-formed phrases. As for using this with Wi-fi VOIP I've heard mixed reports so as I use mine for business I'm not going dow that rout at present. As for MS Smartphone, text entry is either T9 or multiple key depresses, and I've yet to hear of a VOIP capability for these.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

okonski wrote:
    and I've yet to hear of a VOIP capability for these.

You can get SIP VoIP clients for series 60 phones not Skype though...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭secret_squirrel

I own an ms smartphone already so I know how they work. ;) I've owned a pocket pc too - just not a phone capable one.

I was assuming the pocketpc phones have a virtual numerical keypad on the touch screen that you use for dailing numbers? I was wondering if you could that for text messages rather picking the letters out using a stylus.

As of march Imate are shipping skype with their PocketPC based phones like the Jam - so I figure its just a matter of time before they get it right. I know its a bit problematic at the moment.

The Mitac 8870 MS smartphone (which looks like an ehanced HTC Typhoon phone like my SP3i) is shipping with an SDIO slot - so I figure its a matter of time before you will be able to use Wifi to make calls from it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Iv an XDA-II it has a virtual numeric pad for dialing but SMS is done in the same as any text entry in PPC via the virtual keyboard.

There are a few PPC phones with drop down real keyboards. Skype works well on PPC as long as you cn plug in a head set (bluetooth or wired).

Advertisement