Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Quest for Monthly Profit.

• 20-02-2005 3:12am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭

Ok so I'm only gonna pick 1-2 horses per week and the hope is that at the end of the month the selections will show a profit to a 1pt stake. Your bank can be whatever you can afford so if it's 20 bucks its ten on each singley or 5 e/w etc. Your bank could be 2 quid a week with 50 cent each ways, we're just gonna hope that at the end of each month we've made some money.

This is putting shocking pressure on myself but we're all friends here on the racing forum so what the hay.

Gonna kick it off with a horse called...

JOROBADEN 3.40 Towester.

The favourite in this race, Almah has won three times since last november, is a worthy favourite and will certainly run her race. However I think the second favourite who has a claimer on board who has already won on him and is taking off a valuable ten pounds is the good thing in this race. Related to some good winners on the flat and also a useful flat horse in his own right, Jorobaden loves the soft ground and is going to come on even further from his most recent impressive win. I must say I'm confident of a good start with this one. He's forecast as being the 9/4 2nd favourite but don't be surprised to him steal favourtism from Almah. Still though I think the price won't be too bad.

D

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

currently trading on betfair at 4.3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

ok...so he's about third favourite now. 3-1 is a nice price I think, come race time though I hope he hasn't got any bigger than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

I was thinking that we could set up a sort of competition where everyone starts out with 100points and we bet on however many horses on whatever days we choose, and we see how we all do.

For example.

3.20 Uttoxeter Jojo 10pts E/W
    4.10 Towester Milking Man 5pts WIN

Closing Balance: 75

Then you come back, edit your post and add the SP odds and a Profit or Lose line and the new closing balance...

And we can see how it goes...

It wouldn't be a place to say why you betted on whoever or such, but just to keep track of how we all are doing. The points system can represent real or pretend bets...

They do this on lots of forums, might be good laugh, we can be flexible as well and say you can bet whenever and however often you want, you just have to keep track of...

anyone up for it?

I think it's a good idea chump but to be honest I would never take a tip from anyone if I didn't know why they picked it, I mean they could just pull the horse's name from a hat for all I know. I know that probably wouldn't be what they'd do but it's reasonable to expect some kind of analysis into why you think that horse will win. That way people will know what to expect from the horse etc and frankly it's more satisfying if the horse wins when you've told everybody exactly why he'll win.

Good idea though.

Ah no, what I mean is people continue to tip as per usual in other threads but we reserve 1 thread for this... no discussion, just a kitty to keep a tally on how we do...

A bit of entertainment, and a bit of freedom so some1 can post up on it everyday or someone else every 2-3weeks...

• Advertisement

I vote you for maintanance technician!!!

Flatened the 2nd last and put pay to his chances...ran on again well but couldt get to the leaders. A good run though. (if anyone has an internet betting account..there's a strong word for a horse of pipes called "nice horse" this afternoon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,780 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Ace idea there chump simply ace... :D:D:D :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

Heard a word for Nice Horse myself yesterday, I never got round to backing it though.

Good idea Chump about having some sort of tipping thread were we can all keep track of our profits (losses in my case). We could have 2 threads one with just the selections and running totals etc. and another with reasons and discussions, just have links in each thread referring to the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭Hobart

We used to do a fantasy racing, once a month, some time ago. Went well for a few months, might not be a bad idea to start it up again. An example of the rules and such are here => http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=118765 . If anybodys interested in gettting involved in this I might put up a monthly prize of betting vouchers.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

I think that its a great idea,when does it start!

Yea I was thinking about it last night...

I'll put up a proposal tonight, we can have a look at it, make a few recommendations and get it started by friday...

If anyone else wants to take the helm that's not a bother though! :)

No no.....you're the man chump!!!! Did anyone back nice horse yesterday by the way? I had him in a yankee....3 out of 4...you can guess who let me down...

Here's what I'm thinking

The rules.

You are given an opening balance of 100pts.
    Wagers are placed either to WIN or EW, no special bets. (Simplicity)
    You can bet any day of the week, on any race, on any horse, or multiple horses. (Complete freedom)
    You can bet however often you want.
    You can wager any amount, but once you're at 0, you're out.
    The first run of the competition will end at the end of the final days racing at Cheltenham (March 18th).
    Prices on all bets will be those SP prices as listed by Paddy Powers.
    EW fractions (1/4, 1/3) and places paid out on, are as stated on the Paddy Powers racing rules page: http://paddypower2.custhelp.com

It is your responsibility to calculate your returns and update your post (ideally within the same day of the results).
    The idea will be to keep the thread as clean and neat as possible. This will make it easier to follow and keep track of the competition.
    Because of this, it is hoped all discussions relating to your bets will be discussed in the various other threads, reasons for your selections included.

An up-to-date table listing everyones points will be at the top of the thread, and I will update this as often as is necessary.

It is expected the competition will be an honest one, but anyone found trying to cheat will be killed.

Below is how the posts should look:

Balance Carried Forward: 100pts

Selections for Tuesday 14th
    2.10 Uttoxeter Bad Boy 10pts WIN, Little Willy 5pts EW
    3.50 Southwell Bunny Boiler 3pts WIN

New Balance: 77pts

Then you will return and edit the post when the results are out. You can of course do each result as they happen.
    For example, the above will be edited to show:

Balance Carried Forward: 100pts

Selections for Tuesday 14th
    2.10 Uttoxeter Bad Boy 10pts WIN, Little Willy 5pts EW [Bad Boy WON, Little Willy 2nd]
    3.50 Southwell Bunny Boiler 3pts WIN [LOST]

Old Balance: 77pts

Bab Boy 10pts @ 3/1 = 30 + 10 = 40pts
    Little Willy placed 5pts @ 20/1 (1/4) = 25 + 5 = 30pts

New Balance = 77 + 40 + 30 = 147pts

Any questions about calculations, or any such can be made in another thread, don't be afraid to ask questions.

People can join up until the end of this Sunday 27th Feb. But people can start playing anytime between now and then, as soon as I put up the thread ;)

So questions, suggestions, changes?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Just two questions:
    are place only bets allowed?
    and is it only singles?

and a suggestion:
    highest price winning tip of (week/month/cheltenham festival) gets a bonus?

I don't think we should give any bonus points at all as from what I have seen from other competitions run over a short space of time is that they can ruin the competition as 1 or 2 people open up a big lead and just keep picking very short priced favourites from then on.

It is important that there is a minimum number of bets that a person must make (say 20) in the course of the competition, as if somebody picks a 33/1 winner early on the best strategy for them would not to make any more selections for the rest of the competition, they would be difficult to catch.

If there is a minimum number of bets that must be made then there shouldn't be a closing date for entry. These sort of competitions generally increase in popularity as the weeks go past so it would be very restrictive to have a closing date just a couple of days away.

I didn't think about place only bets, but yea I can't see why we shouldn't allow them.

But no doubles, trebles, or special bets. Unless of course many people want them. I personally think it should be kept as simple as possible.

I don't think the minimum number of bets would work, as they could just bet 1pt 20 times... If someone got an SP win of 33/1 and had bet a decent proportion of their 100pts, they probably deserve to win the competition. We could of course say something like, at least 1/4 (or 1/5th) of your current balance needs to be bet per week.

But then we arrive at the stage where people might have to police the competition.

I don't think there should be bonus points for the top scorer of the week. The winnings are the bonus. I think it would be nice to look at everyones score during the comp, and say... If they had put a 100 in the bookies they'd now be up/down however much.

We probably should open up the competition to join when you want, but would the punters with less than 100pts be annoyed at this stage, and register new nicks and try again? :) I dunno maybe we should open it past Sunday... what do people think?

chump wrote:
    We probably should open up the competition to join when you want, but would the punters with less than 100pts be annoyed at this stage, and register new nicks and try again? :) I dunno maybe we should open it past Sunday... what do people think?

If there is no minimum number of bets then the only other way to allow this would be to take points off the starting bank for each week of late entry, say 20 points a week (e.g. if you join in week 3 then you start with a bank of 60 points). Alternatively everybody could start with just 20 points and have another 20 added every Monday up until the end of the competition.

I think actually what we should do is run the comp until just before Cheltenam. That's just 2 and bit weeks away, and people can join up until end of this sunday.

This way if they miss out they can join for the big week and we will have seen how the two week trial went and modified the rules accordingly...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 573 ✭✭✭The jock

Count me in chump

• Advertisement

It's probably a good idea to just have a short competition to start, it will allow us to iron out the rules and format as well as give others an oppurtuinity to join in time for a new competition beginning at Cheltenham.

Are we ready to start then? Chump, If you could create a new thread maybe we could get going tomorrow?

Yup, will start one tonight when I get home!

Any tips for 2mo? ;)

jjjmultiple post deleted

Advertisement