Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Focus vs Almera vs ???

Options
  • 20-02-2005 3:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭

have found some good deals on new cars
    Focus 1.6 old model for 13k euro ish
    Almera 1.5 for 11k euro ish
    both 3 door, just-above-basic spec

Any personal comments on which is better? why? any alternatives?

drove a micra for years, happy with its reliability and performance but its handling could be better.

living in UK btw (explains why prices so cheap :) )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It depends on what you want from a car.

Focus - great car to drive, looks better than the new model imo, very popular, build quality is very good compared to other Fords. A used car that is always in demand and the 1.6 gives decent performance. Just check the brakes as the Focus had issues with the braking system in the past. A very good used purchase overall.

Almera - styling is bland to say the least, very well built, usual Japanese reliability, 1.5 will not win any medals for performance though. Handling and steering are boring. Try and find one with ABS as this was an optional extra up to recently. A very durable car with effortless ownership.

If it were my money I would choose the Focus.

Alternatives:
    Corolla,
    Golf (avoid 1.4, too under powered),
    Civic,
    Astra.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,155 ✭✭✭samo

Have just changed from almera 00 Hatchback 1.4 (old model though NOT new model) to 01 Ford Focus Estate 1.4. I havent driven new Almera but did find the old one was very heavy in comparison to Focus on petrol - I wasnt that taken at all with it to be honest.

Found it very sluggish and was 'sports model' - it was quite tough going on backroads etc and not great handling overall. I'm much happier with the Focus now overall, its an improvement fuel wise (surprisingly enough considering its an estate as well) and handling/feel of the car much better overall.

Have spoken to a few people since that didnt have great things to say generall about Almera's fuel wise but maybe it was just me being fussy over the handling as they were all fairly happy!

Other than that had no problems with the Almera, was very reliable mechanically just wasnt very exciting!

Just read Bazz's post - he beat me to it, must type quicker....

For the alternatives,

Corolla 3 door hatch is very nippy if 00/01 but looks awful and not good for re-sale - the 02/03 new model tends to be very dear but was not impressed with drive, seemed uite underpowered in 1 1.4

If you could get a 1.5 V-tech civic Saloon (think its only in a 98/99 unless someone can correct me), its a great car, is very fast, fantastic handling and excellent on fuel, would recommend it! Have driven the hatchback 1.4i when changing Almera recently and wasnt so impressed with hatchback 1.4 in a 98/99 - 98 is based on the rover model and didnt feel so good compared to the 1.5 but the 99/00 hatchback (3 dr new model) is an improvement

As for the Golf/Astra - havent driven them so cant say!

Advertisement