Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Cant Turn on my Firewall

• 20-02-2005 2:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭

I cant turn on my firewall in Windows XP home Edition. It says "The security center could not turn on your firelwall please go to control panel".

I go to control panel click on firewall and it says " Windows firewall settings cannot be displayed because the associated service is not running, would you like to start ICS?" I click yes and it says it cannot start ICS.

What is the problem I wonder ? I have Service Pack 2, Microsoft Antispyware installed.

Any ideas ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭30-6shooter

Restart the computer!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭thejollyrodger

I have tried that, it doesnt work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Have a look in the event log, and see what the problem is. You can check the event id on www.eventid.net and see if that sheds any light.

Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7023
    Date: 20/02/2005
    Time: 16:00:17
    User: N/A
    Computer: LAPTOP
    Description:
    The Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service terminated with the following error:
    An address incompatible with the requested protocol was used.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Im not sure how to correct the address problem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Damn, I had that problem too. Ended up having to reinstall the entire OS.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

happend to me after a windows repair, on numerous occasions. It was a SP2 slipstream disk.

even tried reinstalling SP2 after, didnt help

f**k ms!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,134 ✭✭✭holly_johnson

Have a look here:

http://www.techspot.com/vb/topic16323.html

This may be of help.

thanks for all the help ! I think it was a virus. AVG picked the virus up but couldnt delete it. I just delted the whole directory restartd and it seems to have done the trick.
    I was getting a serious amount of spyware on my machine. hopefully that stops it
    Many thanks.

Advertisement