Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Rab Douglas - OUT NOW!

• 20-02-2005 3:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭

disgraceful goalkeeping error today, shocking. ive had it with him and mistakes in big matches when theres alot at stake.

he could also be faulted for the 2nd today as he was caught in no mans land. rangers keeper waterreus on the other hand didnt put a foot wrong and got man of the match. imo he won them the match along with andrews.

2-0 rangers by the way. douglas should be sold asap and dropped from the scottish squad for good. too many unforced errors. celtic cant keep playing him when he continues to cost them dearly.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

There's more than just the goalkeeper on a team smemon.

Where were the ten other Celtic players, particularly the defenders, when the goals were scored?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Amz wrote:

Where were the ten other Celtic players, particularly the defenders, when the goals were scored?
    The difference between the two teams today was the goalkeepers. If Rangers had Douglas and we has Watteraus I've very little doubt we would have won. Once the first goal went in it was all over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

Amz wrote:

hang on a second here, you obviously didnt see the match. vignal hit a farely tame, easy to save shot at douglas. douglas sort of threw it into the net and didnt get his body behind it at all. thats basic goalkeeping, no excuses. you cant blame defenders for a simple goalkeeping error.

douglas cost celtic the match. could well have cost them the title. that sort of unforced error has always been in his game and its about time o'neill gets tough and drops him or sells him, same with walter smith. you'd forgive him if it was a once off, but its not, every so often he makes a mess of a simple shot, clearance and it results in disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

The defence was terriblr on the 2nd goal. Big up and under and the defence just watched it sail over them.

smemon wrote:
    douglas cost celtic the match. could well have cost them the title. that sort of unforced error has always been in his game and its about time o'neill gets tough and drops him or sells him, same with walter smith.
    Its nothing to do with getting tough, maybe he was too tough. Marshall made a couple of mistakes earlier in the season, he didn't last long. Hedman came in to replace him, made an error or two and was dropped. Douglas came in and has been doing well, until today. It'll be interesting to see what MON does.
    The defence was terriblr on the 2nd goal. Big up and under and the defence just watched it sail over them.
    Rangers wouldn't have got that chance if the first goal hadn't gone in though so I'm sticking the blame on Rab. Also, Watteraus made a few fantastic saves before that which Rab wouldn't have saved at the other end.

• Advertisement

I saw the second goal and it wasn't just down to goal keeping that time.

If one bad game from the goalkeeper is what costs a team a season then there's not much hope for them.

All players make basic errors. I'm sure there have been times this season that Douglas saved Celtic's ass in a game and now, because of the heated emotion that generally follows/surrounds an Old Firm Derby, there's a lynch mob out to get him.

Are you a goalie smemon?

Amz wrote:
    I saw the second goal and it wasn't just down to goal keeping that time.
    As I said, that chance wouldn't have occured if the first goal didn't go in.

I'm one of the less fickle of football fans (I think) and I'd be defending most other keepers in this situation but Douglas doesn't deserve it. This is one of many.

Hrm, I just wonder if it wasn't for the fact that the goals were conceded against Rangers would there be such a backlash against Douglas.

Amz wrote:
    Hrm, I just wonder if it wasn't for the fact that the goals were conceded against Rangers would there be such a backlash against Douglas.
    Certainly not on this forum as many Celtic "fans" don't even watch the smaller games but on Celtic forums, without a doubt.

Amz wrote:
    Are you a goalie smemon?

actually i used to be, yes. even i could have saved that vignal shot. douglas is a disaster area full stop, it's not too often he wins celtic matches and he's average overall.

look at rangers' klos, solid as a rock, goram etc are all rock like and that gives confidence all around the team. douglas is prone to dropping/flapping at crosses, not coming out when he should or staying put when he should come out, stupid mistakes like the 1 today and the odd poor kickout, as he insists on drop kicking ALL the time which is very dangerous as a keeper as theres always the chance you'll hit it too low and not get the connection you want.

ive always thought of douglas as a weak link, its not just because of today. surely eirebhoy you'll agree watching celtic all the time over the years. the only time he makes mistakes are in huge matches ie rangers and european ties. he gets away with it in the league as he never has much to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

Amz wrote:

exactly... up until that minute he kept celtic in the game.

poor showing in the second half for celtic cost them the match.

exactly... up until that minute he kept celtic in the game.

poor showing in the second half for celtic cost them the match.

rangers never had a shot on target the entire 1st half, how did he keep celtic in the game? plus any shot he saved was straight at him and you'd expect him to save, just like vignals.

smemon wrote:
    rangers never had a shot on target the entire 1st half, how did he keep celtic in the game? plus any shot he saved was straight at him and you'd expect him to save, just like vignals.

what about prso's shot?

poor showing in the second half for celtic

after that shot (prso)... rangers dominated the midfield.

what about prso's shot?
    That was on the 55th minute wasn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

TBH Celtic should have been in the lead by the time the first goal was conceeded but I don't see you calling for Bellemy's or Hartsons heads. Douglas made a bad mistake but so did the defense for the second goal. (I missed the first because I was switching around cause I was getting bored).

eirebhoy wrote:
    That was on the 55th minute wasn't it?

around that time..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

anybody notice mcgeady doing the little ronaldinho flick trick thing in his first run down the left. the boy is class, will end up one of the best irish players ever imo.

as for douglas, he was poor on the first goal, dont really see how he could have done more for the second, if he hadnt come out novo could have taken it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Hartson and Bellamy cost Celtic the game today. 3 very good chances between them and they did not score... that is unacceptable (although Waterreus done well). Douglas made an error to gift the 1st goal and Laursen (I think) made a right nmess of it for the 2nd. A really poor show from Celtic in the 2nd half and I am beginning to question O'Neills tactical awareness especially when he inisists on playing his favourites.

I don't think Douglas should be 1st choice material but I will not go for the usual witch hunt against him. Some of the comments about him coming out of the ground were a disgrace from so called Celtic fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,778 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

same old celtic rubbish, they have lost the big game mentality, if they were a TV show we'd say they had "jumped the shark"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

a good win for rangers, and i thought they deserved it for the performance of hte 11 men onthe pitch tbh.
    be interesting to see how celtic react in their next game.

although, bellamy should really have scored. doesnt matter what team you put him in, hes still an ass!

• Advertisement

although, bellamy should really have scored. doesnt matter what team you put him in, hes still an ass!
    and an overrated one at that. O'Neill admits he's taking a risk and doesn't seem to care about that:

"As long as he doesn`t upset Chris Sutton we will be delighted."

"John (Hartson) knows him best from international matches and he says he has been quiet - God knows what that means. He has been good. He really has been good.

"But I could be sitting here this time next week saying what a load of rubbish that was."

"I don`t know if I could even have an influence over Craig Bellamy.

"I am hoping he doesn`t get involved in too many off field situations.

"If I had asked anyone about him I am sure they would have said `don`t touch him` but I didn`t bother.

"You take the chance on a very good player who has a bit of baggage attached to him.

"If he does it on the pitch he will please us all. Not for one minute do I feel I am a position to quell his exuberance."

I'll give him a chance and see how I feel come May.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

O'Neil's comments hardly instill confidence.

B.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 374 ✭✭meepmeep

Draupnir wrote:
    anybody notice mcgeady doing the little ronaldinho flick trick thing in his first run down the left. the boy is class, will end up one of the best irish players ever imo.

One of the best Scottish players ever don't you mean?

Deciding to play for Ireland because of a grandparent doesn't make him Irish.

God damn traitor :p

Anyway, I didn't get to see the game because I don't have Setanta, but good win for Rangers.....we needed that!

meepmeep wrote:
    One of the best Scottish players ever don't you mean?

Deciding to play for Ireland because of a grandparent doesn't make him Irish.

God damn traitor :p

Anyway, I didn't get to see the game because I don't have Setanta, but good win for Rangers.....we needed that!

:rolleyes: TROLL

He chose to play for Ireland because he played for them at schoolboy level because he wasn't allowed to play at Scottish schoolboy level because of some silly rule.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    :rolleyes: TROLL

He chose to play for Ireland because he played for them at schoolboy level because he wasn't allowed to play at Scottish schoolboy level because of some silly rule.

B.

Troll why?

Because I don't like the fact that a Scottish player chose to play for Ireland instead of his own country? He's not Irish, no matter what you say. Our national team is bad enough without players running off to play for someone else.

Or because I am a Rangers supporter?

meepmeep wrote:
    Troll why?

Because when you use words like "traitor" to describe a player imo it gives the impression that you're a Troll.
    meepmeep wrote:
    Or because I am a Rangers supporter?

:rolleyes: Yeah that's it! You got me there. And there was me thinking I could hide my sectarianism!

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    Because when you use words like "traitor" to describe a player imo it gives the impression that you're a Troll.

Oh I'm sorry, I'll use words that you approve of the next time.

Do you want to send me a list?

:rolleyes: (look i can rolleyes too).

I'm not a troll - look through my previous posts and you'll see i've never even had an argument with anyone on here. I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you, and I can use any words I want as long as I am not insulting anyone.

I used the word traitor in a jovial manner, hence the :p but I still don't like the fact that he chose to play for Ireland (along with every other Scottish person I've ever spoken to about football).

But I'm sure you had a point somewhere in your posts.....what was it?

If you're going by the definition of the word than McGeady is a traitor.

meepmeep - He chose Ireland at the age of 15. If you want to bully a kid at every ground he plays, go ahead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,314 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

meepmeep wrote:

But I'm sure you had a point somewhere in your posts.....what was it?

That McGeady will be a fantastic addition to the Irish team :D

It is good to see the SFA remove the rather silly rule that 'persuaded' McGeady to play for the Republic.

• Advertisement

That McGeady will be a fantastic addition to the Irish team :D

It is good to see the SFA remove the rather silly rule that 'persuaded' McGeady to play for the Republic.

I'm sure he will! And I hope he does the business for Ireland.

I'd support Ireland as long as they're not playing Scotland, but i'd still prefer he played for us in the first place!

Anyway, he made his choice and we'll all move on (sob) :D

meepmeep wrote:
    Oh I'm sorry, I'll use words that you approve of the next time.

Do you want to send me a list?

Don't be so childish, I never said you have to use words I approve of. I was making the point that if you are using such emotive words as "traitor" to describe somebody well then there's the possiblity that you'll come across as a Troll.
    meepmeep wrote:
    :rolleyes: (look i can rolleyes too).

Well done you.
    meepmeep wrote:
    I'm not a troll - look through my previous posts and you'll see i've never even had an argument with anyone on here. I'm entitled to my opinion, as are you

I'm not bothered reading through any of your previous posts. I've never seen you post on the Soccer Forum before so I'll use that as my yard stick. As you've said yourself, I'm entitled to my opinion and in my opinion you're a Troll.
    meepmeep wrote:
    and I can use any words I want as long as I am not insulting anyone.

Read the Charter
    • Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated
    meepmeep wrote:
    I still don't like the fact that he chose to play for Ireland (along with every other Scottish person I've ever spoken to about football).

It was already explained to you why he chose Ireland over Scotland.

B.

BaZmO* wrote:
    It was already explained to you why he chose Ireland over Scotland.

B.

Oh, that means I have to agree with it then? Well that sorts all that out. I'll never have an opinion of my own again. Thats where I've been going wrong all these years.
    BaZmO* wrote:
    Outbursts of personal abuse/racism etc, be it directed at other board members or at Sports people will not be tolerated

Where was that in any of my posts? Traitor is not personal abuse or racism. Look up the word in the dictionary and stop talking nonsense.

I made a comment that no one else seems to have a problem with, and you jumped down my throat. It would seem you are the one who is trolling.

LOL. Traitor is a term of endearment so?

Anyway, I made my point and this has gone waaay off topic. So I'll leave it there.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

I thought McGeady had Irish parents?

If I was living abroad and I had a son who was an excellent footballer, I can guarantee that he'd only play for one country - Ireland.

Similarly if Cruz Beckham is any good he'll play for England, not Spain.
    And Roy Keane sent in the Times on Saturday that his English born son wears an Irish football jersey (and ManU and Celtic!)

I thought McGeady had Irish parents?
    He has a diary on Icons.com:
    had only played a few games for the Celtic first team when I was called into the senior Irish international squad in spring 2004. I think it was a case of them wanting to give me my first international cap and make me a full Irish international.

So I travelled with them as they played Romania, Jamaica, Nigeria and Holland. I was in the squad for all of those games and came on against Jamaica for my international debut. That was also a great moment in my career. I felt great because, at 18, I was one of the youngest players ever to have been capped for Ireland. It made me feel that I was going places. That game against Jamaica was played at The Valley, Charlton's home ground, but it wasn't filled to capacity; I think there were about 10,000 there that night.

I had first begun playing for Ireland at schoolboy level. I had wanted to play for Scotland schoolboys when I was 15 but because Celtic didn't let you play for your school, it meant I was not eligible to play for Scotland schoolboys. I thought, 'Fair enough'. Then Packie Bonner phoned me up and asked if I was interested in going across to Ireland for training because he knew my grandparents on my dad's side were Irish. We had a practice match, I did quite well, and ever since then I have been involved in the Irish international set-up.

I played for the Under-15s, Under-16s, Under-17s, Under-19s and then the first team. The Irish do let players play for their schoolboy team even if they are not playing for a school in Ireland because a lot of their young players of schoolboy age have already moved over to England. I was always going to play for Ireland rather than Scotland at full international level, if chosen, because by the time I was capped I had already been part of the Irish set-up for around two years.

I then played my first game for the Irish Under-21s against Bulgaria on August 17, 2004. I thought I did alright in that game: we won 3-2 and I set up two goals and was involved in the other one. We were quite good and I played well.

Things have gone well for me up to this point in my career, but I know that it is now up to me to keep it going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

jesus, who gives a crap if you dont agree to each others opinions.
    STFU already.

my god, is this a game of tireless rebuttle, or are you both trying to prove that you can both nitt pick?

beedin girls shouldnt be allowed in here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Back to the Celtic - Rangers match, if you want to discuss McGeady's decision to play for Ireland, open a new thread.

beedin girls shouldnt be allowed in here.
    Don't you start!

Advertisement