Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mario Kart: Arcade GP unvieled at AOU

Options
  • 20-02-2005 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭

http://news.spong.com/detail/news.asp?prid=8348
    Nintendo and Namco have jointly shown a coin-op rework of the seminal Mario Kart series, carrying the name Mario Kart: Arcade GP. Revealed at the AOU show in Tokyo, the game is the star attraction, with attendees forming the biggest lines in the convention to catch a glimpse and take part.

The game runs on the GameCube-based Tri-Force arcade board, as co-engineered by Sega, Namco and Nintendo and features a NamCam 2 camera in a Daytona-esque throwback, as featured in Namco’s Race On some years ago.

The units displayed at the AOU were four-player linked affairs, with Namco (seemingly the chief developer) claiming that the code was a shade over half finished. It was mentioned by Namco reps that the game may be able to support eight players upon release though the official line is currently four.

An interesting side note sees Pac Man take charge of a kart in the latest sharing of character love between two big name Japanese games firms.

A slow player catch-up mechanic is in operation, but may be switchable in time of release. Described as ‘Namco Rubber Band System’, rather than simply speeding up slower players, they receive a constant boost of speed depending how far they fall behind in the race compared against all others involved at the time.

A card system has also been assured for inclusion, which will hold race data, kart modifications, items (of which there will be hundreds we are told) and battle data. Impressively, 24 courses in 6 worlds will be available, making Arcade GP the biggest Mario Kart outing of all time.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

3227024145745446.JPG

looks cool but who goes to arcades anymore?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

people not living in ireland do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 Easy-C

How much do arcade machines cost in those countries? Arcade machines are just too expensive, 2 euro+ to play something that will probably only last two minutes..

They're massive in Japan, then again.. what isn't? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

arcade machines cost ? or how much it costs to play ?
    its very cheap. Thats why they have these tournaments and what not.
    i think most advanced arcade places now have cards, you buy a card for 3 dollars or something and get 5-6 credits or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭honru

It has a better chance of making it here than F-Zero AC, although you probably won't see it in your local Dr. Quirkies for another year or two.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

Rew wrote:
    looks cool but who goes to arcades anymore?

that was my first thought too!!

I believe the scene is pretty much dead in the USA too(save for beat-em-ups)

But in Asia this'll be huge, its a pity it's about 10 years too late for Ireland!!!

something like this would have been HUUUGE imo, heck people liked Nintendo and arcades then!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,889 ✭✭✭evad_lhorg

i really wish fzero AX hadve made it over here. although i have unlocked all the tracks and most of the racers in gx i still wouldve loved to sit in the big moving car thing.

hop mario kart comes here cause it looks sweet

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Thats it! I'm becoming a millionare.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Hmmm. I wonder how much a Triforce arcade board fitted in a lovely sitdown cabinet with a plasma HD TV fitted is?

I think I'll buy 8 or them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,181 ✭✭✭✭Jim

Retr0gamer wrote:
    Hmmm. I wonder how much a Triforce arcade board fitted in a lovely sitdown cabinet with a plasma HD TV fitted is?

I think I'll buy 8 or them.
    May I touch one?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,393 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get your hands off them you damn dirty ape!

• Registered Users Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I guess you could pretend that it was like Double Dash and have a friend stand behind you and swap places with them every few minutes and hope you don't crash...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

I guess you could pretend that it was like Double Dash and have a friend stand behind you and swap places with them every few minutes and hope you don't crash...
    best freakin idea ive ever heard
    your mate at the back could hurl things at the others aswell,

Advertisement