Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old floorboards finish

• 20-02-2005 4:43pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 931 ✭✭✭

Howdy all,
    Just moved into a new house, gotta love it.
    Anyway theres alot of the old style floorboards in the house. I dont know
    what varnish/finish the previous owner used but it scratches very easily.
    I'm looking for advice on what would the best thing be to do with them.?.
    Are there any industrial strenght finishes I can put on the boards?. Someone
    mentioned yacht varnish to me...
    Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Dave W.

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Samson

If they are the original boards they will most likely be soft-wood, which will mark easily no matter what type of finish you put on them, so beware stiletto heels.
    I still have some stuff in my shed from when I last did my floors, I'll see if I can find the tin (for the name) as it is very good stuff. It's the one that you add an activator to just before use, and it stinks to high heaven.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Xennon wrote:
    Howdy all,
    Just moved into a new house, gotta love it.
    Anyway theres alot of the old style floorboards in the house. I dont know
    what varnish/finish the previous owner used but it scratches very easily.
    I'm looking for advice on what would the best thing be to do with them.?.
    Are there any industrial strenght finishes I can put on the boards?. Someone
    mentioned yacht varnish to me...
    Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks
    Dave W.
    Dave,

If it's a new house did the previous owner get these old floor boards put in or are they just the std. 5"'ish tongue & groove boards?

Yacht varnish is really only worth the expense for bathrooms.

If you get an off the shelf stain from Ronseal, etc that you like the colour and varnish over with Diamond coat Varnish.

Alternatively, if you like the colour of the floor and just want to make it more durable, then just varnish over it with Diamond Coat varnish. I personally prefer a varnish with a Matt or Satin finish for a floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

There's stuff that we put on the wooden floors in the house called "Plastic F". It's a 2 part thing, stinks like bejaysus, but forms a sorta hard plastic layer to protect the wood... been using it for years - reapply every 4-5 years....
    K

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,814 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

Sadolin do a version of it called PV67. Rustin's also do a similar product. Try the more traditional hardware shops for it. It's a bit expensive (60 euros or so for the big pack), but really is worth the cash.

Advertisement