Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newcastle v Chelsea *scores*

• 20-02-2005 7:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭

1-0
    :D

there goes chelseas quadruple

kluivert in the 4th minute and from what i heard chelsea were pretty poor altogether

cudicini sent off after 90mins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Bridge injured.
    Duff injured.
    Gallas injured.
    Cudicini to miss the Carling Cup final.

Not a very good day for Chelsea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

I like Mourinho, I think he'll fall on his face eventually, but I like the refreshing attitude

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,467 ✭✭✭smemon

dreadful preparation for the nou camp in a few days too, not what murinho would have wanted.

loads of injuries, pretty poor display, lacking creativity and a miserable day weather wise to go with it which always makes losing seem worse.

we'll see how good a manager murinho is now having to build up the belief going to the nou camp of all places. barcelona will be delighted with how today went.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cudicini to miss the Carling Cup final.

Not a very good day for Chelsea.

great for chelsea, cech will be keeper now. have to see how serious duff and gallas injuries are. Duffs didnt look to bad, think it was just a bad knock, wasnt a strain or pull anyway.

as a liverpool fan its a bad result for us. a win would of been better. they will be well up for winning against us now in the carling cup, drogba will probaly be back aswell, and terry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Gotta say,nice save from johnson! He looked mortified to be put in nets.

• Advertisement

as for the nou camp, its not that big a blow. bridge is the only bad injruy for them, there defence is fine, so is the midfield. only have attacking problems but that doesnt really matter.

a nil nil or even a 1-0 to barca would be a good result for them i feel. And that can definitly be acheived.

as a liverpool fan its a bad result for us. a win would of been better. they will be well up for winning against us now in the carling cup, drogba will probaly be back aswell, and terry.

theyve a little game against barcelona in the nou camp before the mickey mouse tie against liverpool. i think murinho would take a win over barca and loss to liverpool than a win over liverpool and loss to barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Chelsea were still very good today...or Newcastly very poor one or the other.

First 15 minutes Newcastle dominated a second string Chelsea side, last 30 minutes of the first half the 2nd string were well on top. 3 changes at half-time and then Bridge gets injured within 5 minutes and stretchered off so they were down to 10 men. Still dominated the game for most of the 2nd half with 10 men, for the last 10-15 minutes Duff was limping and only on the pitch becuase Chelsea had no-one left to bring on.

Cudicini was very unlucky to get sent off, but that's the way things go sometimes.

Not exactly the end of their season but hopefully the luck will continue to go against them

great for chelsea, cech will be keeper now.
    Cudicini was promised a start in the final after being dropped against United. By far and away the best backup keeper in the premiership and a player of his ability doesn't deserve to be sitting on the bench.

eirebhoy wrote:
    Cudicini was promised a start in the final after being dropped against United. By far and away the best backup keeper in the premiership and a player of his ability doesn't deserve to be sitting on the bench.

he got sent off so hes suspeneded. Hes still a great keeper, but i would much prefer to be facing him then cech

• Advertisement

smemon wrote:
    theyve a little game against barcelona in the nou camp before the mickey mouse tie against liverpool. i think murinho would take a win over barca and loss to liverpool than a win over liverpool and loss to barca.

when did i say he wouldnt? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

Very exciting match to watch though - much better than Burnley vs. Blackburn, thank God.

he got sent off so hes suspeneded.
    Eh, I know. thats the bit you quoted me on. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭smuckers

Poor game but wehy were the Newcastle fans booing Bridge while he was stretchered off? shame on them. :mad:

eirebhoy wrote:
    Eh, I know. thats the bit you quoted me on. ;)

having cudicini in send off and cech in goal now means it better, thus me saying that part would doesnt really make it a bad day for chelsea!

smuckers wrote:
    Poor game but wehy were the Newcastle fans booing Bridge while he was stretchered off? shame on them. :mad:

yea forgot about that, what was klivuret up too aswell?! i seriously hope he wasnt complaining about it taking so long.

Kluivert wanted Bridge to be rolled off the pitch, and not to be stretchered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

It will be intersting to see what happen Chelsea from here on in. Some injuries to key players today, Duff has a hamstring injury according to a radio report. with Robben out they can not afford to lose Duff for any length of time. Left back will be a problem for them too with bridg out long term, Dreadful timing for such key players to be injured with Barca to play mid week but thats football.

The Muppet wrote:
    It will be intersting to see what happen Chelsea from here on in. Some injuries to key players today, Duff has a hamstring injury according to a radio report. with Robben out they can not afford to lose Duff for any length of time. Left back will be a problem for them too with bridg out long term, Dreadful timing for such key players to be injured with Barca to play mid week but thats football.

the injury was caused when he clattered into cudicini, i would be supirsed if its a hamstring. would of put money of it being around the knee area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

tbh, I thought he got kicked very hard in the knee or chest, I can't imagine its hamstring, but he might not be playing against barca

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Was it just me or did Titus Bramble actually look like a footballer today? What's going on?

A slight strain for Duff, he couldn't run at all for a few mins but ran it off. Geremi dear oh dear close down Robert, best CFC player today was RC he was everywhere.

Was it just me or did Titus Bramble actually look like a footballer today? What's going on?

Peter Brackley called him a colossues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Gileadi

god a signing other than jarosik in january could have been nice with some hindsight

was a fairly lacklustre display,had alot of possession in the 1st half but no creativity to put it away without duff/robben,that being said i dunno if kezman could put it away with his confidence so low atm

the positive is its less games to cope with and leaves more time to prepare for any possible CL games in the future

heres hoping duff and co are ready for wednesday

smuckers wrote:
    A slight strain for Duff, he couldn't run at all for a few mins but ran it off. Geremi dear oh dear close down Robert, best CFC player today was RC he was everywhere.

yea, having him and terry back for the barca match is certainly a big boost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,654 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

can kezman beable to do it in the premeirship im not sure maybe his confidence is low now but im not sure still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

can you move this to the humour forum please.

there is no need for THAT level of trolling on the soccer boards!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

If Duff and Robin were missing for the Cup Final next week, it would certainly make for an interesting game..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

That's ten quid down the pan for me.

John

• Advertisement

snoopdog wrote:
    can kezman beable to do it in the premeirship im not sure maybe his confidence is low now but im not sure still
    :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

I would say Duff has a sore knee or a dead leg. he was running around alittle bit after. So i would say he is a doubt for Wednesday but he should be ok for Cup final.

What a horrible day for Chelsea. Not only is that the dream over of 4 trophies but they lose Bridge,Duff,Gallas, through injury and cudicini through suspendion. Plus Robben is already injuried.

It would be funny if they suffer a heavy defeat to Barca and lose to Pool in the Cup.....then its only the Premiership left. But thats wishful thinking.

I bet Newcastle will get Arsenal now in the next round.lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Bound to be United-Arsenal

Dewey wrote:
    It would be funny if they suffer a heavy defeat to Barca and lose to Pool in the Cup.....then its only the Premiership left. But thats wishful thinking.

it wouldnt be impossible. we seen it with arsenal last year collapsing under everyone's expectations and all the pressure on their shoulders. a few big injuries mixed with poor recent results could well be the start of chelsea's blip.

btw, yes, yes it would be very funny :D realistically though i think they'll lose narrowly to barca and beat the pool narrowly. 1-0 perhaps on both occasions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

Im delighted with the result and am hoping another one of my predictions for the season comes true .Mourinho did say only a couple of weeks ago that Chelsea will probably only win two titles , id say he beleives thats the League and the league Cup .

Hopefully we'll get a good draw for the next round . Brentford would do nicely .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

The wishful thinking side of me thinks that this could be the start of Chelsea performing the most dramatic bottling the premiership has seen since Keegan's Newcastle.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

syke wrote:
    the most dramatic bottling the premiership has seen since Keegan's Newcastle.....

Oh god will I ever stop being reminded of that :( .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Big Ears wrote:
    Oh god will I ever stop being reminded of that :( .

Sowwwwy :( But hey, if Chelsea do it everyone will forget Keegan.

I took em at 25-1 to win nothing incidently. Prob not gonna win, but then I thought that the first year Utd one nothing and got myself 200 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

snoopdog wrote:

Eh? No speeky d ingrish?!

Anyway, it certainly was a bad day for Chelsea. It would make you wonder if it would've been better for Mourinho to send out a better team in the first half to try and win the game and then try and defend any possible lead in the second half while resting the better players. But hindsight is a great thing.

I thought for the best part of the game Newcastle were a shambles. Even though Robert was warned by Souness he was still very wasteful with the ball. Shearer lost it with him a few times as did Souness from the touch line.

Dyer was also fairly sh1te, but he wasn't fully fit so I suppose he could be forgived. But the thing that really got me was there inabilty the hold onto the ball in the latter parts of the game. In the last 10 minutes when Newcastle had a corner Shay Given had to go up as far as the halfway line to get them to play the short corner and hold onto the ball. All pretty elementary stuff.

A better Chelsea would've destroyed Newcastle. But that's just if's and but's. Well done to Newcastle they got their win. I just hope Duffer isn't too badly injured.

B.

But when is Dyer ever fully fit? he's the most overrated player in PL.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Dewey wrote:
    I bet Newcastle will get Arsenal now in the next round.lol.
    More likely to be Sheffield United. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

syke wrote:
    The wishful thinking side of me thinks that this could be the start of Chelsea performing the most dramatic bottling the premiership has seen since Keegan's Newcastle.....

Id love it, I would LOVE if they go out there and get beaten....

camera focuse in on teary and bleary eyed keegan who has managed to go completely grey in the space of 3 weeks...

Id love it, I would LOVE if they go out there and get beaten....

camera focuse in on teary and bleary eyed keegan who has managed to go completely grey in the space of 3 weeks...

It always makes me smile when I think of that! :D And when Tim Flowers lost his "bottle" in a post match interview. :D

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

A 1-0 defeat by newcastle is hardly indicative of a total collape of Chelsea's season , it was against 10 men (9 if you don't couont kezman as a player) and they still mnaged to keep the ball and create more chances than the geordies. Losing Bridge is a nuisance but hardly fatal, losing Duff for an extended period would hurt a lot. I would have expected Newcastle to do a lot better in the second half against Chels but they were pretty poor in using the ball , from a Chelsea perspective it was a risky strategy which immediately backfired (as it always does) but the team performance in damage limitation was admirable.

Fair play to Titus, he has been absolute rubbish in recent times but was a deserved man of the match yesterday.

Anyway , I only want to win the league, anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

growler wrote:

I second that. There are plenty more seasons left in this team for the other titles. KTBFFH. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭dirkey_wynne

growler wrote:
    A 1-0 defeat by newcastle is hardly indicative of a total collape of Chelsea's season , it was against 10 men (9 if you don't couont kezman as a player) and they still mnaged to keep the ball and create more chances than the geordies. Losing Bridge is a nuisance but hardly fatal, losing Duff for an extended period would hurt a lot. I would have expected Newcastle to do a lot better in the second half against Chels but they were pretty poor in using the ball , from a Chelsea perspective it was a risky strategy which immediately backfired (as it always does) but the team performance in damage limitation was admirable.

Fair play to Titus, he has been absolute rubbish in recent times but was a deserved man of the match yesterday.

I didn't see the game, though I did hear Chelsea were the better side. But perhaps now is the time those bits of luck that Chelsea have enjoyed all season are going to desert them? I mean like the games against Liverpool etc where they should have conceded a penalty, and got a lucky deflected goal late on. Now perhaps without those little bits of luck, those 1-0 wins will turn to 0-0 draws or 0-1 reverses. That's what I'm hoping for.

What I'm really hoping is this. Chesea go out and get stuffed in Nou Camp. Liverpool then beat them in Cardiff. Chelsea then realise all they have left is the PL. The pressure mounts. The infighting starts. The points are dropped. The pressure mounts some more. Fergie cranks up the pressure. Mourinho's cool, composed, cocky exterior crumbles. He doesn't know how to react with a side which seemingly walks on water, starts to lose.

But that's just me - a sad hungover Utd fan.

growler wrote:
    A 1-0 defeat by newcastle is hardly indicative of a total collape of Chelsea's season

I don't think that anybody is saying that. As you go on to say yourself, it is more worrying the amount of injuries Chelsea sustained yesterday, which in time might prove to have an adverse effect on Chelsea's good form this season.

B.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

They may not be saying it , but they (or at least dirkey_wynne) sure are saying that they hope it does.

I dont see it happening myself , not do I see Barca hammering us, but it is nice to see the Man U / Arsenal brigades clutching at straws now! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

growler wrote:
    They may not be saying it , but they (or at least dirkey_wynne) sure are saying that they hope it does.

I dont see it happening myself , not do I see Barca hammering us, but it is nice to see the Man U / Arsenal brigades clutching at straws now! :D

It's hardly surprising that United and Arsenal fans are hoping for a Chelsea slump. I would not say we are clutching at straws either. With Chelsea to meet both Arsenal and United the league is by no means over. Newcastla Arsenal and United themselves have all lost substantial leads in the run in to league titles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭Brian017

Chelsea's lead could be cut to 3 points by the time they next play in the league and the pressure will be on them to win. That is Bolton away by the way.

On the bright side, Parker is very close to fitness and is nearing selection.

• Advertisement
Advertisement