Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need Poem!

• 20-02-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭

mocks start tomorrow morning and i only have one poem with notes,i dont want to just make my own crap up for the exam
    so does anybody have a good poem and notes given by the teacher that they could post?
    thx :D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭ozt9vdujny3srf

Try the notes on www.skoool.ie, they might have notes on JC poetry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

i did check,doesnt give alot of info though :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

well.....is it for english or irish? have you not learned ANY poems? all my notes are in a big ole copy....and I'm not assed typing them up since i'm not even sure if theyre in my locker or whatnot, but i could name a poem for any theme and you could work from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,935 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Most of the same notes can be reused for any poem.
    Especially love poems, they seem to be a big thing.

Assonance - makes it more lyrical. More memorable, so the object of love may remember it. Or just so anyone will remember it.
    Alliteration - see assonance.
    Metaphor - gives more vivid imagery to the poem, helps to convey the particular ideas more clearly.
    Simile - see metaphor.
    Pronouns - the use of "I" and "you" make it more personal and more heart-felt, like they are speaking directly as opposed to using the more seemingly cold 3rd person. In this case you can start ranting on about how you feel like you're invading on the poet's personal work and their emotions and whatever.
    Punctuation - a lack of punctuation, run on lines, means the poet is agitated or upset. Or that they just have a lot of things to say, just apply it to the particular poem. A lot of punctuation, many full stops and things, means they're taking their time. I've not used that particular one for describing poetry, I'd tend to only use punctuation in the case of run on lines and no full stops.
    Word Use - the poet may be using words with positive association for a reason, or words with negative association similarly. They might even be using the two of them together to create contrast.

Okay that's all I can remember off the top of my head, my nonexistant english notes are in school.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,958 ✭✭✭Fobia

Tbh if you just know a few poems off by heart, and have a good knowledge of the english language you can pretty much bluff your way through the poetry section of the exam

.....I hope :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

hehe,ended up ok.
    the one poem i had suited the theme :)
    thanks for the help anyway! :D

Advertisement