Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

focus pause in startup

Options
  • 20-02-2005 8:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭

well i cant think of a better way to describe it .

but im wondering if anyone could tell me what causes it or if its a known problom

i have a 04 focus and its just about to become 1 year old with about 15k miles done . its had a service done at about 11 r 12k miles but ive notised that at times ill turn the key to start it up and nothing will happen for a second then it will kick in . but this moringwhen i started it up nothing happened for about 10 seconds . so i started to think there could be somthn wrong with it . anyone seen this type of problom b4

( i do turn the key to the point just b4 turning the engine on for a few seconds to let it turn on all them there lights n stuff on the dash and chk the levels etc.. i know almost nothing about cars )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭ando

yea something is up. My focus never has the pause you are talking about and mine is a 00

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Could happen if you have a lazy/failing starter solenoid.

Got a test lamp and know where your starter is?. Check you have the supply to the solenoid on START.

While you are n there, check the battry connections for corrosion, tightness, the main cable to the starter for hot spots and the battry itself, jic it needs water, etc.

If you have no power to the solenoid connector for a while, it woudl lead back to the ECU and possibly a nother starter relay in the relay board. (without a wiring diagram, I have no idea is your vehicle even has such a secondary relay..... check your fuse/relay panel.)

Forgot to mention the std simple test is at the same time someone is holding the key to START, hit the starter with a light hammer on the side. If that causes an immediate response, starter is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

AMurphy wrote:
    Could happen if you have a lazy/failing starter solenoid.

Got a test lamp and know where your starter is?. Check you have the supply to the solenoid on START.

While you are n there, check the battry connections for corrosion, tightness, the main cable to the starter for hot spots and the battry itself, jic it needs water, etc.

If you have no power to the solenoid connector for a while, it woudl lead back to the ECU and possibly a nother starter relay in the relay board. (without a wiring diagram, I have no idea is your vehicle even has such a secondary relay..... check your fuse/relay panel.)

Forgot to mention the std simple test is at the same time someone is holding the key to START, hit the starter with a light hammer on the side. If that causes an immediate response, starter is the problem.

this car should be under warranty shouldnt it? good advice though on the starter i spent 6 months with a car with a dodgy starter. the wheelbrace has more than one use :D

Advertisement