Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Snow Red alert

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,161 ✭✭✭nilhg

Started here ( Rathangan Co. Kildare ) as very light sleet at about 7.30 now has turned to snow and is just starting to stick on the grass. I don't think that it is heavy enough yet to accumalate much but you never know.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭MackQ

Yip, getting quite a bit heavier here also. Temp falling also...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭houseoffun14

snowing north of droghjeda for last 30mins,quite thick flakes. Starting to stick to shed roof.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

traffic sounds mental everywhere, M50 backed up from toll bridge to M1, not looking forward to that now shortly :mad:

ooooh
    really got its act together now
    big thick flakes
    just west of Arklow co wicklow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,726 ✭✭✭✭DMC

Going to the train station an hour ago, steady light snow, certainly not sticking.

City centre now, same as above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭atgate

Light snow here in Walkinstown. Not sticking yet.

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

heavier now but not sticking excpet for light dusting on cars.

I see met have us down for heavier stuff later today, anyone know when this should hit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

quite heavy now in leopardstown, sticking on the racecourse grass, but not yet on the concrete....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Sandymount
    > UCD plenty of snow falling - no sticking, ground getting increasingly wet. Ah well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

none in waterford . . . yet it but its bloody cold so we'll see

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Heavy snow falling in Leixlip for the last half hour, starting to stick on the grass, if this keeps up for anotehr hour or so it could get intertesting. Haven't seen snow like this for years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Continuing :D

Big flakes but precipitation rate is low. Only 0.1mm in 30 minutes.

Air +2.0C
    Grass +1.1C
    Dp -0.8C

Starting to stick here
    The ground was and is bone dry and those flakes well they're having what looks like a soccer game down there :D
    jeep is covered as are the silage bales
    quite heavy snow at the moment and the sky has closed in and dark
    just west of Arklow co wicklow

I know I reported big flakes earlier, but they are so much bigger now.

Huge flakes now

Precipitation rate has probably doubled now, but still very low.

Air +1.7C
    Dp -0.8C
    Grass +1.1C

Anyone is carlow at the moment?? if so give us an update.

Mothman wrote:
    I know I reported big flakes earlier, but they are so much bigger now.

Huge flakes now

And getting even bigger :D

though they are quite wet.

A wonderful sight, considering I'm only a mile from sea and just 12m ASL

Latest radars show quite a bit of precip to come for teh next hour or two, pitty it ain't sticking on the wet ground.

Edinburgh is seen blizzards at the moment.

Very very very very heavy here now
    havent seen snow as heavy in years
    whole place is white-you would only see a few yards in front of you

• Advertisement

Starting to be really thick and heavy - also starting to stick on the grass in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Congratulations Weathercheck - its a snow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 745 ✭✭✭misswex

Snowing in Wexford :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Mountrath, Laois...sleet falling as snow at 8am. Temp is 1.9C and falling, though pressure is rising.

Bloody Wicklow mountains are taking all the snow from carlow. Still snowing in Leixlip, grass getting very white now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

I see someone to the north of Drogheda said it was snowing since approx 8 am. Where I am (3 miles due NNW of Drogheda) there has been some snow here for 4 HOURS!! :D:p . Consistent moderate to heavy snow since about 6am. And still falling. I said to myself earlier that it will only stop here at about 1pm and by the looks of the radar that appears to be the timescale.

I thought it was hillarious to see TV3 weather. They're in denial at this stage lol! He's talking of max temps of 7-8 Celcius while snow falls around him. He also used words like wintry showers, the map had one sleet icon and no snow icons at all!! He was suprised when he described that snow was "actually" falling:)

Accumulations at this stage are 3-4 cms generally, 5 on car roof. It's a total whiteout! I see this as a victory for the amateur forecasters and the likes of Weathercheck and co., who are doing a far better job at getting their predictions right than their professional counterparts. Well done guys :p

I'm off to check the dunleer NRA station. Has anyone else been having difficulties looking at any of the weather stations? Ive been getting errors all the time.

Update: I have to use the data table to see the stats, but I like what I see:) M1 Drogheda with lowest air temp in the country at -0.2 celcius, road temp 0.1 celcius.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Look at this!!
    http://www.weatheronline.co.uk/radar/ukuknirf.htm
    The radar I used this morning for completely free, no login (at 7.10 am) is now subscription based! wtf? :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭kleefarr

8:30 sleet
    9:15 light snow
    9:40 heavy snow, large flakes

It's not settling though, ground to wet from the previous sleet.

It's snowing though!!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

morning all

http://www.nci.ie/ispy/cam4.yp

dublin city centre webcam (gardiner street) some snow on the cars as they ass. the ground looks wet though.

Over an inch of lying snow now just west of Arklow co wicklow and still snowing heavily

It's covered the grass, the tarmac, the cars everything and is crunching under my feet.
    Big thick flakes

Reports from Castledermot of snowing starting to stick and falling heavy.

Still snowing heavy in leixlip, no let up.

• Advertisement

Earthman wrote:
    Over an inch of lying snow now just west of Arklow co wicklow and still snowing heavily

It's covered the grass, the tarmac, the cars everything and is crunching under my feet.
    Big thick flakes

You lucky fecker, I think you might see a lot of it in the next few days, if the precip stays until 3 or 4 there won't be any time for a thaw.

Earthman, do you think many of the showers tomorrow will make it far inland and if so how far.

I bet Weathercheck is sitting in a class room with his eyes glued to the window.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

been snowing in loughlinstown since about 8.45am and nothing is sticking anywhere, everywhere is really wet.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

snowing in Blanchardstown since 8 this morning. Plenty of coverage on the grass and cars etc but the roads are just wet. I want to see blizzards. Any chance of some blizzards in the next few days?

if those wet roads freeze tonight your snow will stick tomorrow, but i wouldnt suggest you go driving in it tomorrow. if it does.

Ok guys in the absence of w.check I'll do my best...
    But I have to work too unlike wcheck who I suspect will be mitching from tomorrow :D

This is a band of snow from a weatherfront caught up in the very cold air.

But folks the really cold air isnt here yet.

Expect drier snow showers and heavy ones from tonight and Irish1 I expect they will be heavy enough to get to tullow

It's mad here now ,i was out in it for 30 seconds and my jumper went white-it's piling up :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 3,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭LFCFan

all I want is a day off work. Is that too much to ask? 2001 is the last time I got a 'half day' because of the snow. I want a full day. Make it happen :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,806 ✭✭✭Lafortezza

Dublin Airport: been snowing since about 7am, gotten heavier since about 9.30am, thin layer on the ground, temperatures just above freezing. Should start clearing up a bit from half eleven or twelve.

I have seen 3 people slip and fall so far. ha.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

reading the forecasts doenst look too hopefull, they are playing down the snow showers now it seems, i dont think thre will be blizzards, just the odd snow shower on the east coast which may givea few inchs but with temperatures around 4C or 5C outside the showers what is on the ground will prolly melt fairly quickly once its stopped snowing. To have blizzards and snow taht sticks all day we would need temperatures of 0c and below to guarantee taht it sticks and lasts for a few days.

Don't be such a pessimist Gonzo :D

You wouldnt be saying that down here

Getting closer to 2 inches now just west of Arklow :D and snowing so heavy its like a fog in huge flakes

Borrows wchecks smileys :D :eek: :D

I'm about to get into my jeep now as I must head the 3 miles into Arklow-this should be interesting :eek: :D :eek:

I'm about to get into my jeep now as I must head the 3 miles into Arklow-this should be interesting

pics?

i see whe whole country at least seing snow fall within 24 hours to be honest. and if the wet surfaces freeze tonight, then no one will be going anywhere tomorrow. the

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭Darwin

Met Eireann are playing things down a bit - 3 day outlook talks of wintry showers near the east coast but:
    "Overall the dry weather will remain unbroken"...."as a result many places will remain fairly dry at least up to next weekend"

pics?

I'm just leaving now-shall charge up the camera when I get back.

Wish me luck :D

Still snowing in Leixlip, I got reports that some roads in Kildare are turning white.

I might have have to drive to arklow Earthman to get some decent snow!! how are ya fixed for a cuppa?

hehe
    strong tea you would need :D
    gone now back laters

i'd say its easing off here (UCD)

Irish1 wrote:
    Still snowing in Leixlip, I got reports that some roads in Kildare are turning white.

I might have have to drive to arklow Earthman to get some decent snow!! how are ya fixed for a cuppa?

just dont talk politics :D

http://www.met.ie/recentweather/

theres a couple of zeros for your edification ppl

only reason i was pessimist is where i am right now (loughlinstown) its been snowing like mad since after 8 and nothing is sticking but maybe thats just coz of all the sea air nearby:)

also notice taht met eireann have revised their forecast and playing down all the snow shower activity and higher temperatures even for the east coast, we'll see what happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Snow in Waterford... Just slushy stuff , its not sticking. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 366 ✭✭Kaskade

Featuring in the news now

Met Éireann predicts cold snap for rest of week
    21/02/2005 - 10:55:51

A cold snap that has led to snowfalls in the east of the country today is set to continue for the rest of the week, according to Met Éireann.

Forecasters said day-time temperatures would be around four to five degrees Celsius for much of the week, with further sleet and snow expected in the coming days.

Western areas are also set to experience the low temperatures, but Met Éireann said these areas should remain dry and bright, with some sunny spells.

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/02/21/story190329.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

still snowing heavy in leopardstown. golf course in the racecourse is quite white. some lunatics looking for golfballs. ha, muppets. sticking to cars also, not to the ground though it's wet. slushy large snowflakes. can't see too well - quite a whiteout.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement