Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playing DVDs on a 17" Monitor

Options
  • 20-02-2005 10:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭

I recently got a decent size monitor so I can watch DVDs on the PC, but Windows Media seems to always play them in widescreen format (2 black bands, one top, one bottom).

Can I adjust Windows media so I can use the full screen, or is there free software available for donwload that plays DVDs well?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

It's not displaing them as widescreen. There are being displayed using the Aspect Ratio of 16:9, when this is watched on a 4:3 screen it will result in the black bars. You cannot make the image fit the full screen or it will distort the shape of people. The Film is shot in Cinemascope, the an ARC (Aspect Ratio Convertor) To adjust the size to a 16:9 aspect ratio. When these films are shown on tv (Well the british channels) they have another Aspect ratio conversion to 14:9 (the best of both worlds).

So, the short answer is no, unless you decide to buy and aspect ratio convertor, and play out through that to an external monitor there's no way.

Also Widescreen format is the daddy.

John

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Ah cheers John, I messed with the aspect ratio settings and spotted how distorted it gets. I'll stick with the widescreen, its looking better.

But.. I can only see it on my laptop for some reason. I got the big monitor hoping to hook it up to the laptop and watch DVDs on it, but I can see everything on the laptop .. and everything but the film on the monitor.. so Ive a suspicion its some sort of copywrite protection or something.

I guess Im stuck with watching the DVDs on the little laptop screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,984 ✭✭✭✭Lump

Probably to do with the video overlay settings on your graphics adaptor.

John

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

Alot of software DVD players will only decode to the primary display which is normally the laptop screen. Closeing the lid normally sorts it or esle it can be set in the display properties.

It can happen with other video formats as well.

Advertisement