Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to:Tax Return on the Paid Fee for Course

Options
  • 20-02-2005 11:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I'm a Junior Freshman in TCD,Evening Courses and i'm wondering if some1 knows how to deal with the Tax Return for the Fee which i'm paying for my course.

Thanks...

PS
    I did previously a search,but the search engine just got a mind of her own:
    Search: Key Word(s): return ; Forum: Trinity College Dublin and child forums
    The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search: tax, fee

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Kevin_rc_ie

Educat told me and I forgot I'm certain he'll tell you soon enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 793 ✭✭✭xeduCat

You are entitled to some tax relief, but it's capped at €3175. This is at the standard rate of tax - 20%, so effectively it's worth just over €600 (20% of the cap) in real terms, to you. Obviously it's only worth it if you actually pay tax, i.e. if your income is substantial enough to bring you into the tax system.

Your bank giro from when you paid the fees is acceptable as proof for your tax return , however if you've lost it, contact the Fees Office (over in the 5 College Green building, same place as Centra/Little Caesar's etc.) and they make you an extra receipt, though it usually takes a week or two.

(and yes, as Kevin says, I've answered this question before for him, so I'm copying and pasting ;) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭rolion

@EduCat,Kevin_rc_ie

Very much obliged !
    I hope that ,out of these money,to pay sometime for a beer !!

Regards...

Just say your dad paid your fees and your 2 brothers fees. Does it remain a maximum of 605 euro to be tax deductable? CAn one parent make one reduction from their tax and the other from theirs?

What happens if during the academic year the financial income of your family dramtically decreases (redundancy, death) can you be reassed for grants or must you wait until the beginning of the next academic year?

Just say your dad paid your fees and your 2 brothers fees. Does it remain a maximum of 605 euro to be tax deductable? CAn one parent make one reduction from their tax and the other from theirs?

Not sure on the first question (not a tax lawyer!), no on the second (unless the two people are financially independent). Also, the student could have the tax relief applied to themselves rather than to the parent, if that made economic sense.
    What happens if during the academic year the financial income of your family dramtically decreases (redundancy, death) can you be reassed for grants or must you wait until the beginning of the next academic year?

desertcircus (welfare officer) and myself both think this would be possible (although up to a grant authority - i.e. county council) if it was that your income changed before you applied for a grant - when you apply for October 05 you're usually assessed on 2004 income but if circumstances changed between Jan 05 and Oct 05 they might consider it. We'll check it once real offices open (yes, we're both in our offices now). But in terms getting a grant for a year that you've already been rejected for, that's v unlikely...

• Advertisement

do you know if they would take things like life insurance and stuff into account?

generally speaking it's just an income count and a yea/nay on that basis, but (again quoting Mr. Welfare) most county councils are decent enough in terms of assessing particular circumstances, although they can be slow and lazy.

ok thanks for that. Denise/Lorna/Donal have big boots to fill.

:D

enough praise for now though, we've got polling in Tallaght at 9am so it's time to get out of here....

Advertisement