Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The real deal on the Dublin job market

Options
  • 21-02-2005 12:03am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2

Hello All,

First of all, apologies if I'm repeating a post; I can't access the function which would allow me to search the forum. Anyway, I'm very close to taking the plunge and moving to Dublin to look for a job. I'm encouraged, when it comes to the job market, by all the "Celtic Tiger" talk. Basically, what I want to determine is how difficult it will *actually* be to land, at minimum, a 40-hour-a-week, minimum 10 EUR per hour job when I get there (i.e., working at a bookstore, a waitering job, a relatively steady temping job). I ask because I will only have enough money to stay there for a month. That is, I will have to earn enough in that first month to cover the next month's living expenses. I have a bachelor's degree in international development economics from a highly selective U.S. university and I am an EU citizen. Does anyone out there have enough of a feel for the current job market to help me out? Would be much appreciated. Later on!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

I have a bachelor's degree in international development economics from a highly selective U.S. university and I am an EU citizen. Does anyone out there have enough of a feel for the current job market to help me out? Would be much appreciated. Later on!
    Why restrict yourself to a menial lower paying job when you could potentially do a lot better for yourself? I'm sure some of the big multinational corporations here will have a position for someone with your skills.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,546 ✭✭✭Enii

Your time frame in which to get a job seems very tight to me. What if it takes you 2 or 3 weeks to find a job? €10 an hour is probably a little unrealistic for the type of work you will be looking for. Possibly if you get in touch with some recruitment firms they might be able to either hook you up with some interviews for when you arrive or might be able to let you know what your prospects of getting a job are. Best of luck and enjoy Ireland when you do come!!!

Advertisement