Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whose your favorite Doctor?

Options
  • 21-02-2005 12:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭

Its a tough one, but you really get to know the 7th doctor through the new adventures. The cynical sly meddler side of him was intrigueing.

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Jaysus! Someone else read the New Adventures :D I loved that series. How many did you read? I read all 61, right up to "Lungbarrow" and I agree - it really changes your outlook on what we say of McCoy on the TV series. The Doctor becomes far more powerful, a bit of a manipulator but very intruiging.

Based on TV performances, it'd be Tom Baker but for novel reading it's be the NA interpretation of the 7th Doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 520 ✭✭✭foxybrowne

Well I only read about 20, Human Nature is a fav, and Sky Pirates.
    Was it 61 altogether? Some of them were great early 90s gritty urban zombie stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,130 ✭✭✭✭Karl Hungus

I was always a fan of Pertwee as the doctor myself.

foxybrowne wrote:
    Well I only read about 20, Human Nature is a fav, and Sky Pirates.
    Was it 61 altogether? Some of them were great early 90s gritty urban zombie stuff.
    Yup 61 in total. I struggled to get them all near the end because they were out of print. I bid above the odds on ebay for the likes of "Lungbarrow" for example, which revealed who The Other was, how he related to the Doctor, and a good bit about the Doctor's family (I saw it go for up to £150 on ebay). I even got one copy off one of the authors in my plight.
    If you're bothered, some of these novels, including "Lungbarrow" are now available to readonline at BBC's Doctor Who site.

I also managed to secure all the Virgin MAs (33) and most of the Bernice spin-off novels (bar the last two which I may purchase for exorbant prices on Amazon).

I've now moved on to the BBC EDAs - the series of original novels that pick off after the failed telemovie. There's 73 of those - I've about 6 to collect left - bought others but ain't read them all. I've about 20 of their PDAs. And then I've got about 100 or so of the Target novels.

As for the show, I've got about 95% of the series from Season 7 onwards (Pertwee) on videotape....

Anyone want to take me on as Board's #1 Doctor Who fan :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭norbert64

Can't rightly remember half of em. Only 2 I know of really, are Davison & Pertwee.
    Anywho John Pertwee would prolly be my fave. :D

• Advertisement

What did you think of the Target novelisation of "The Twin Dilema", it had an enjoyable "Hitchhikers Guide..." kinda feel, as did the "Delta and the Bannermen" one.
    Will there ever be a novelisation of "Shada" and "City of Death"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Hmm. Reading that makes me want to pick up some Doctor books. I remember how no matter the odds, he'd outfox the bad guys and win the day. :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Tom baker then Jon Pertwee

foxybrowne wrote:
    What did you think of the Target novelisation of "The Twin Dilema", it had an enjoyable "Hitchhikers Guide..." kinda feel, as did the "Delta and the Bannermen" one.
    Will there ever be a novelisation of "Shada" and "City of Death"?
    Ah there was, unsurprisingly, a bit of that vibe off some - particularly "Delata and the Bannermen". Not so much a fan of "The Twin Dilemna" (for those of you who don't know Douglas Adams scripted a few Doctor Who stories).

I think there's still legal problems with the estates over "Shada" preventing it from being adapted. It's even more difficult given that, AFAIK, the Target imprint (taken over by Virgin I believe and then back to the BBC) is no longer operational...

Just about to order, as it happens, the Faction Paradox series of books - a spinoff range from the EDAs about a cult group intent on creating havoc with the timelines. Always a shame they killed that thread off...

Why do you say unsurprisingly, Adams had nothing to do with scripts or novelisation of "Twin Dilema" and "Delta", as far as I know.
    So what about this new series then, Billie Piper, hey hello there young wan, I'd say I can flog off all d'aul vids then at a good price.

• Advertisement

foxybrowne wrote:
    Why do you say unsurprisingly, Adams had nothing to do with scripts or novelisation of "Twin Dilema" and "Delta", as far as I know.
    Whoops - for "Delta and the Bannermen", I thought of "The Pirate Planet". And I hadn't meant to imply Adams touched "Twin Dilmena" - he was finished with the series after Tom, I believe.
    So what about this new series then, Billie Piper, hey hello there young wan, I'd say I can flog off all d'aul vids then at a good price.
    Ahh but are the vids worth anything with the new DVD editions (have you got any of those?). Should be interesting, particularly if the rumours are true and it's premiering this month...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 590 ✭✭✭regeneration

Tom Baker was of course the best TV doctor, and yeah, the "new adventures" novels really took great strides in muddying the doctor's personality into something more believable in a character with so much power as the doctor clearly has.
    MY only hope is that the new TV series with Eccleston manages to touch or even replicate that side of the doctor to a certain degree, rather than go back to whimsy (at least there'll be no question marks on the shirt collers )

at least there'll be no question marks on the shirt collers
    And no more hanging off cliffs by umbrellas neither.
    But hopefully lots more dark corridors and deserted spacestations.

There's a very positive review of the new series in Q Magazine (lifted here from Gallifreyone.com):
    Q Magazine, a popular UK music magazine, has published a glowing review of the new series in its latest issue, calling it "must-see TV for everyone". From the comments and some of the details given in the review it would appear that the reviewer, Boyd Hilton, has seen a number of episodes from the series - all of which impressed. Amongst many plaudits Hilton states that "the much-hyped return of rickety sci-fí classic Doctor Who lives up to all expectations: it's every bit as good as its mid-'70s heyday. Furthermore, this time around you don't have to be a geek to enjoy it." He goes on to comment on Eccleston's performance; "The inestimable Christopher Eccleston plays the ninth Doctor... replete with trendy leather jacket and wry sense of humour." As for Billie Piper; "the biggest surprise of the show is Billie Piper's performance as the Doctor's "assistant" Rose Tyler. Not only does Piper prove she can hold her own in the company of esteemed actors, but her feisty cockney character shows real depth. Importantly, Rose's relationship with the Doctor is as an equal, rather than just being there to whimper when the aliens show up." The special effects also impress: "Gone are the cardboard sets and naff-looking monsters of old, this time you see... [edited geographical location] ...landmarks come under thrilling alien attack, as convincing and exciting as anything shown before in a British TV series." Boyd ends by praising series writer and executive producer Russell T Davies for the "triumphant regeneration" of Doctor Who (the series rather than the person) and for "the slick, sharp dialogue". He ends by saying that "Doctor Who is no longer the domain solely of sci-fi spods, this is must-see TV for everyone".

Yay :)

(dribble)

but I remember years ago when the Paul McGann t.v. movie came out, my reception was ****e, cos we had an aerial, and all I saw was grey fuzz.
    But hey, thats all anyone saw back in 1963, when Doctor Who (a thrilling adventure in time and space) was first aired.

Did you read the second New Adventure when the Doctor and Ace went to Wales and went to Tír na n-Óg (which is prob the nearest the Doctor came to visiting Erin's green Isle)?

foxybrowne wrote:
    Did you read the second New Adventure when the Doctor and Ace went to Wales and went to Tír na n-Óg (which is prob the nearest the Doctor came to visiting Erin's green Isle)?
    That was the 7th IIRC. The first four were the Timewyrm series and then it jumped into the loose Cat's Cradle trilogy. Cat's Cradle:Witchmark was the Tir na nOg one and yeah I remember being excited that *finally* the TARDIS landed in Ireland :D

I still think he should visit us more often. I'm stretching my memory here but I've a feeling there's an Irish short story in one of the Decalogs involving a vampire and the 4th Doctor and Romana arriving in Dublin :)

I don't think the TARDIS landed in Ireland in that one, did it?
    Hey whats your favorite DW quote?

I like
    "someday I shall return, yes someday, but until then, go foward in all your beliefs and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine"
    from William Hartnell in last episode of Dalek Invasion of Earth

Mine's from the "Androids of Tara" maybe. K-9 was always a bit useless and, in this one, he had to use his crappy little red-beam laser and the Doctor scolds him, "A hamster with a blunt pen knife could do it quicker!" :D Baker's delivery on the line is great.

I'm also kinda partial to the final line of the original series (in "Survival"): There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea is asleep, and the rivers dream. People made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace; we've got work to do!

The Doctor vs Davros scene in "Genesis of the Daleks" where the Doctor tries to reason with Davros about what he's going to create is a classic as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

You can pretty much tell a person's age by which is their favourite Doctor (or favourite Star Trek series)
    My fave is Patrick Troughton (because he's the best :D )

"If we fight like animals, we die like animals"

The first episode I saw on telly was the Colin Baker with the plants on the spaceship.

If you have Pyramids of Mars on video, check out the hand holding down the pillow when the evil baddie Egyptian god gets up off his chair for teh first time. And then Ghostlight when you see the camera crew in the wardrobe's mirror when Ace and the Doctor have their chat about confronting the past.

Sophie Alren was a fine one alright.

• Advertisement

foxybrowne wrote:
    If you have Pyramids of Mars on video, check out the hand holding down the pillow when the evil baddie Egyptian god gets up off his chair for teh first time. And then Ghostlight when you see the camera crew in the wardrobe's mirror when Ace and the Doctor have their chat about confronting the past.
    Or in "The Green Death" (I think) you can see the cue-hand indicating "roll scene!" in one shot :D

Ah The Green Death - the best use of condoms & fox skulls one can think of this side of a strange ritual ;)

The Green Death was also the television premiere of Quorn, I believe.
    Yum, sausage shaped fungus.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Just read Sunday Times, Culture, pg 6: new Doctor Who series starts Easter weekend.

:D
    less than a month away - ooooooh :)

Woudnt it be great if it could be shown on the big screen in Meeting House square, and we could all head along with digestives and a weak orange drink.
    Hurrah.

I'll get the Jelybabies ;)

I'll get the giant inflatable Dalek.

I'll knit the 22' scarfs :) [there's a website dedicated to it here]

• Advertisement

wellity wellity, it's already been leaked onto the internet...
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4326005.stm

Advertisement