Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Champions League Football 22/2 + 23/2 *scores*

• 21-02-2005 12:33am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭

Tuesday:
    Bayern Munich - Arsenal = 2-2(maybe 1-2, depends on who shows up)
    Liverpool - B Leverkusen = 1-0
    PSV - Monaco = 0-2
    Real Madrid - Juventus = 2-0

Wednesday:
    Barcelona - Chelsea = 2-0
    Porto - Inter = 1-2
    Man Utd - Milan = 3-0
    W Bremen - Lyon =

Bayern vs. Arsenal:
    Sol Campbell out -> Arsenal defense weak
    Arsenal offence playing amazing -> goals :)
    Ballack out, but I suspect it'll still be a decent offensive display for Bayern

Liverpool v Leverkusen:
    Gerrard showing his stuff
    Benetiz smart euro man
    Leverkusen on bad run of form
    [edit]
    Gerrards out! haha, draw then :)

Barca vs. Chelsea:
    Chelsea got nobody but Duff upfront firing
    Might be diff score if Drogba is playing, they might nick an away goal
    Ronaldinho Deco Xavi Eto to break through Chelsea's defense, which while amazing can be scored on by good teams, eg. Utd and Arsenal, so I don't think they are as invincible as everyone thinks.
    Duff maybe out
    Bridge defo out
    -> Back 4 with gallas on the left, which he hates and carv playing without being entirly back to full strength
    Lampard to get owned in midfield, but Makelele to play a stormer, but they'll lose it on the wings, especially with the lack of Robben, so theres strikers playing as wingers, and strikers dont defend as much as wingers do.
    Puyol will show just how good he really is

Utd v Milan:
    Interesting scoreline I know :)
    Milan, good run of form, grinding out results, not playing amazingly well.
    Shev is out, while Crespo might be good, he is still a huge loss up front.
    Kaka is their main threat, and I think Keano will boss him around, with the form he is in.
    Cafu loves to get forward, and it'll be against Giggs and Heinze, who both defend, but Giggs breaks at incredible speed and I think he will get a lot of fun down that side.
    Maldini is amazing, but lacks pace, and I think Ronaldo will be able to run past him quite a bit. Ronaldo is a big game player, and I think with his form he'll be the MOM
    Nesta + Stam - Amazing defense
    Rooney + Van Nist - Amazing attack
    When they meet, the attack normally makes something from nothing and scores.
    Ferdinand + Sly I think can contain the Milan offense.
    Van Nist will score
    Rooney will score
    Ronaldo will score
    Giggs Scholes Keano and Ferdinand will all play amazing

Thats my thinking, whats yours :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

gerrard is suspended for the game against leverkusen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

He's also been non-existant since [unfounded rumour started by me] he sign a pre contract with chelsea or real [unfounded rumour started by me] so it might not be a big loss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

PHB wrote:
    lack of Robben, so theres strikers playing as wingers, and strikers dont defend as much as wingers do.

Duff and Cole will probably be playing, both of which are wingers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

My heart says 2-0 Liverpool but realistically I think it'll be 1-1. I just hope Baros plays like he did in Portugal what with our attack being limited to say the least.

I actually agree with PHB I can see Utd winning their game comfortably by a couple of goals, perhaps 3-1. Schvchenko has been ruled out for at least 10 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,263 ✭✭✭Caesar_Bojangle

Stekelly wrote:
    He's also been non-existant since [unfounded rumour started by me] he sign a pre contract with chelsea or real [unfounded rumour started by me] so it might not be a big loss.

Gerrard to meet Chelsea officals :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

All the Italian sides winning , Arsenal drawing , Liverpool drawing , Chelsea winning , Bremen winning , Monaco drawing .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

PHB wrote:
    Liverpool v Leverkusen:
    Gerrard showing his stuff
    Benetiz smart euro man
    Leverkusen on bad run of form
    [edit]
    Gerrards out! haha, draw then :)
    To be honest if a "bad run of form" is 7 wins, 1 draw, and 1 loss in the last 9 games, 3 cleans sheets out of 5, and 13 goals scored in their last 5 games, I would hate to see Leverkusen on a good run of form!

People of making light of Leverkusen, they could go a lot further than people think, Liverpool are definately going to have to do VERY well to knock them out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

PHB wrote:
    Utd v Milan:
    Interesting scoreline I know :)
    Milan, good run of form, grinding out results, not playing amazingly well.
    Shev is out, while Crespo might be good, he is still a huge loss up front.
    Kaka is their main threat, and I think Keano will boss him around, with the form he is in.
    Cafu loves to get forward, and it'll be against Giggs and Heinze, who both defend, but Giggs breaks at incredible speed and I think he will get a lot of fun down that side.
    Maldini is amazing, but lacks pace, and I think Ronaldo will be able to run past him quite a bit. Ronaldo is a big game player, and I think with his form he'll be the MOM
    Nesta + Stam - Amazing defense
    Rooney + Van Nist - Amazing attack
    When they meet, the attack normally makes something from nothing and scores.
    Ferdinand + Sly I think can contain the Milan offense.
    Van Nist will score
    Rooney will score
    Ronaldo will score
    Giggs Scholes Keano and Ferdinand will all play amazing

Thats my thinking, whats yours :)
    I rarely tape matches with teams I don't support but I can't resist taping this match looking at those names. :)

Other than a 2-0 defeat away to Bayern, Leverkusen have been doing well in the league recently. 3-0 (a), 4-0 (h), 2-0 (h), 4-2 (a).

In the big match not containing an English team I think Madrid will do it. Trezeguet and Montero still out for Juve, Nedved not fully fit and they're playing crap. Madrid lost at the weekend but that was the first time they failed to win in the league in 2005 (7 consecutive wins).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭The Rooster

Okay, 2 people have already re-butted the nonsense comment that Leverkusen are on a bad run of form, so no need for me to do it. Its exactly Leverkusens very good run of form that should make them favourites for the tie. No idea what the odds are, but I'd bet that a Leverkusen away win will be the best value bet of the week. I'd settle for 0-0.

I think Arsenal will lose the first leg. Makaay is tailor-made to take advantage of their current weakness in defence. But Arsenal could still win on agg, especially if they can grab an away goal.

With Bridge now out, and Duff and Gallas both very doubful, its not looking good for Chelsea. It'll depend on how long their defence holds out. If they concede early, they could get hammered.

ManU will beat Milan if they remain composed, and dont do anything stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

I fear for arsenal with Cygan playing in the defense but he hasnt been playing too bad of late and usually does well in europe. Makay is the main threat but they have very good players and the are very tough to beat

Id take a score draw. If arsenal score id fancy their chances in the return leg
    Vieira is the main man here.

Leverkusen will beat liverpool

Chelsea and Barca will be a dull draw!!

Man Utd vs Milan

well it could be 3-0 to utd or milan but i think milan have too much experience and class all over the field for utd but UTD are playing very well of alte and are building up a head of steam for a good euro run. so as i said toss a coin to see how wins this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Boro

Tuesday:
    Bayern Munich - Arsenal = 2-0
    Liverpool - B Leverkusen = 0-1
    PSV - Monaco = 1-1
    Real Madrid - Juventus = 1-2

Wednesday:
    Barcelona - Chelsea = 3-1
    Porto - Inter = 0-1
    Man Utd - Milan = 2-1
    W Bremen - Lyon = 0-1

I predict heartbreak for Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool in this leg. Think Arsenal might pull it back in the 2nd leg but Chelsea and Liverpool will miss out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hmm, you're all absolutely right, I dont know why I thought they were on a bad run of form. Can't remember why I wrote it, I'm sure it'll come back to me :)

Duff out. Chelsea team named:
    Cech, Ferreira, Carvalho, Terry, Gallas, Tiago, Makelele, Lampard, Cole, Drogba, Gudjohnsen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭talla

Tuesday:
    Bayern Munich - Arsenal = 1-0
    Liverpool - B Leverkusen = 1-1
    PSV - Monaco = 1-1
    Real Madrid - Juventus = 0-0

Wednesday:
    Barcelona - Chelsea = 1-0
    Porto - Inter = 0-2
    Man Utd - Milan = 2-1
    W Bremen - Lyon = 0-1

I think Munich will keep a clean sheet against Arsenal, they won't give Arsenal any space to play and a defensive error will cost Arsenal the match.

I can see Liverpool going a goal behind, hit on the counter attack and getting a late equaliser.

Milan to score first against united (I've yet to see Uniteds keeper and defence play weel in the same game, it's always one or the other), United to come back in the second half.

Chelsea defence will limit Barcelona to the one goal, can't see Chelsea scoring, just a bit toothless in attack for tomorrow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭case n basket

With no Bergkamp I think it's vital for Arsenal that Edu plays well tonight.

I'll go for 1-1 or 2-1 to Bayern.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Tuesday:
    Bayern Munich - Arsenal = 2-1(Arsenal defence will certainly concded, but there attack isnt to shabby either,forgot about bergkamp, huge loss. still should sneak one though )

Liverpool - B Leverkusen = 2-1(cant see liverpool not conceeding, my head sayins 1-1 but i hoping if i keep believing a 2-1 it will happen!)

PSV - Monaco = 2-1, tough one, but on a good enough run of form. PSV won 5 of the last 6, dont think monaco havent lost in 8 games. WIll give it to PSV for home advantage.

Real Madrid - Juventus = 2-0 - Juve been poor, alot of injuries, Real have been excellent lately, barring the slip against bilbao but they rested alot of there top class players for that one.

Wednesday:
    Barcelona - Chelsea = 1-1 - think chelsea will hold out here, there defence is great, its nearly better now then for the last few weeks with RC back, bridge is a loss, but not a huge one i feel.

Porto - Inter = 0-2 - inter should win this, porto are very poor.

Man Utd - Milan = 1-0 - 2nd best defensive recrod in the Serie A, be very supirsed if they concede 3. RVN wont be at his best, servely lacking match practice at that level. Rooney will struggle also. I will go for 1-0, cant see AC scoring though, for a set piece aswell.

W Bremen - Lyon = 2-1 - i can see the winner of this one causing a big upset, both teams did very well in qualfying and are on a good run. lyon, topo f the french league, not to bad form lately. go with home advantage.

Bayern 1 - Arsenal 0

talla wrote:
    a defensive error will cost Arsenal the match.
    spot on so far!

Liverpool 1 - 0

goe Garcia

liverpool 2-0
    go risse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,766 ✭✭✭robbie1876

Poor first half from Arsenal, but unfortunate to be 1-0 down. Clichy is playing superb, as is Vieira. Cygan has been fantastic in the air at the back, hasn't missed a header that's come his way yet. The off the ball movement from Arsenal has been non existent, making it easy for Munich to mark the Arsenal players. 2nd half they need to push Ljunberg out to the right, put Pires on the left and Reyes up front, or maybe even leave Reyes where he is and bring Van Persie on for Pires.

Either way, I feel Arsenal have a goal in them the second half, but they will have to work their socks off to create the opening for it.

Robbie

Reyes is going to get sent off, I'm quite sure of it :)
    Put on Van Persie for Reyes, and pop him up front with a straight 4-4-2

Bizzarro Pizzaro!
    2-0 to Munich

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭Pacifico

Boro wrote:
    Bizzarro Pizzaro!
    2-0 to Munich

Yay! :(

Defence is quite shocking....

2-0 it is, bye bye arsenal from CL

3-0, goodnight as the commentator said

Hah. Getting hammered now arent they?

See that dirty frenchman Lizarazu - wearing the number 69 - my hero!
    Think we know which goalkeeper will be no 1 for the german squad now eh?

Only the linesmans flag prevented it from being 4

3-1, theres a glimmer glimmer glimmer of hope

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,645 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

hamann you sexbag!
    3-0

ROFOLLLFORORFLF

Liverpool 3-0 up

Dudek does what, yep ****s it up!

3-1
    stupid leverkusen bender faces

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

not happy with that away goal - still great performance by Liverpool.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

That error could turn out to be very costly

Cant believe the pool did so well! Thought they would lose that!
    Great result for them.

• Advertisement

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    not happy with that away goal - still great performance by Liverpool.

no not happy at all but when the game kicked off i would of taken 3-1 so . . .

psychologically its huge though,
    3-0 they leave the match desolate
    3-1 leave the match with encouragment

psychologically liverpool had a weak team and they won comfortably

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Not thrilled at all but not too woried either, we have Gerrard back next week whereas they will still have a dodgy back line. Just 1 goal from Pool will be enough I think.

Mike.

Very half arsed performance from the gunners. I really felt the team had no game plan. Every player seemed unsure of themselves, and what they should be doing.

The movement and passing were shocking. In the second half specifically, there was virtually no one touch football played by Arsenal at all. It seemed that every pass attempted by Arsenal was to a player who had their back to goal and a Munich player in their shorts. Even when Arsenal had the ball in open play, the passing was either directly to the players feet or behind them. There was no positive passing in front of the players, encouraging players to move forward.

We made it way too easy for Munich to mark us by not moving on or off the ball. Nobody made any attempt to make any space, and this is the thing I'm most annoyed at. Ljunberg especially is a usually so good at opening up space, but was quiet tonight.

The key in the second leg will be Bergkamp. If he has a good game Arsenal will go through.

Robbie

• Advertisement

Haha, Lehman's post match interview was a classic:

Interviewer - "So, do you think you were beaten by a good Bayern Munich team?"

Lehman - "Well, what do YOU think?"

Interviewer - "Eh....no, what do YOU think?"

Lehman - "Well I'm not answering you until you answer me..!"

:D

He's bonkers, gotta love him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

robbie1876 wrote:
    =
    :D

He's bonkers, gotta love him

Yeah he's hilarious, does a mean impression of a keeper too. ;)

HAHA, had Riise as my captain in my UEFA fantasy football team. Got 24 points. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭mr_angry

That was the worst performance by Kolo Toure I have ever seen - he was a complete shambles tonight. I don't know what's happened to him this season. I think he's been infected by Cygan or something. I'm no fan of that slaphead either, but at least he was quite good tonight, apart from the odd appaling mis-kick here and there.

And Lauren's two-footed challenge tonight was absolutely disgraceful - he should have been given an instant red card. I hope UEFA ban him for it, but I doubt it since Kim Milton Neilsen saw the incident and punished him with a yellow card already.

On another note, Bayern's diving and play-acting was equally shocking. Salihamidzic was a particularly bad offender. Needless to say, I didn't enjoy that game one bit.

mr_angry wrote:
    I think he's been infected by Cygan or something. I'm no fan of that slaphead either, but at least he was quite good tonight, apart from the odd appaling mis-kick here and there.
    Yeah, I've noticed that about Cygan. He seems a lot more comfortable in the air, and some of his headers tonight were excellent, he seems to win every challenge in the air. But on the ground, he looks so uncomfortable. Early in the game he did have some nice touches though.

Also, fair play for the way Pires dribbled the ball across his own box in the second half to clear it, although it could have so easily have gone horribly wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Cianan2

Real 1-0 Juventus. Nedved injured,it showed how much they needed him,but 1-0 can be brought back at the home match i think. Figo played well,Zidane dove,which gave away the free kick or the goal which im shocked at. Lovely footwork from Ibrahimovic,as always!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

The officials for Real-Juve were shocking tonight.

Countless wrong offside calls, a Real peno appeal not given, and the usual diving. Juve were putting in some strong tackles/fouls in the second half with little sanction and then the usual cards were handed out for dissent.

Juve still have a good chance of going through.

The Goons have it all to play for in 2 weeks after that Toure goal, don't write them off yet. Liverpool should be safe, and I've no idea how PSV-Monaco will end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Big Ears

What footballer disguised themself as Raul Bravo tonight :eek: , he was immense !!! .I was disapointed in Zidane the way he dived quite a bit , but other than that he was his ussual exceptional self .

Del Piero disapointed me .Camoranesi is a much better player than he showed tonight aswell .Juventus actually didn't look that solid at the back , Zebina seems poor .Good to see the Real fans being vocal about who should start up front , Ronaldo wasn't fit tonight and shouldn't have been picked .Owen showed quite a bit of desire when he came on .

Real were by far the better team , but I can only see them going out with only a 1-0 lead from the first leg .

PSV look like they could be on their way as do Liverpool and Bayern .Although I get the feeling one of those 3-1 wins will be turned over .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

what was with the highlights of the Arsenal match on TV3

they must have lasted 6 minutes in total. poor show TV3

The arsenal game was actually quite dull I felt, stp watching it after a while :/ 6 minutes of highlights is good :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement