Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World of BoreCraft

Options
  • 21-02-2005 2:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭

OK, I've had this game almost a week, I am a level 20 nightelf rouge at this stage and can't bear to play another minute of this boring game. All the quests are exactly the same, the fighting is repetitive, using the same sequence of spells/moves again and again.

As for playing online, why even bother? if the game ran off line there would be little diffrence considering the limited interaction between players. I am playing on a normal server, fair enough. I assumed it was just the RPG element wasn't my cup of tea, but today, a hoard invasion of ashenvale meant I could kick into pvp mode and try out the "action". front of the line for the battle, the orcs appeared for two frames as the lag kicked in, one moment in the distence, next approaching me, next my ghost in the graveyard.

This is my first time playing a online RPG, and assumed that I'd give it a shot as it is one of the most anticipated in the genere and because of blizzards reputation for quality. (of course the artwrok, detail and music of WoW is fantastic). Are all games of this type as boring? What is supposed to keep me intrested in gameplay no more sofisticated than a barcode battler past the first week?

(When's Battlefield 2 out?)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Well if you don't enjoy World of Warcraft, then you'll hate MMOGs in general, is all I'll say.

As for the lag, WoW has piss-poor net code and handling. Big raids tend to turn into horrible lagfests.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 603 ✭✭✭Prior Of Taize

Fenster wrote:
    Well if you don't enjoy World of Warcraft, then you'll hate MMOGs in general, is all I'll say.

i would partly disagree with you there...i think WoW can only perhaps be related to fantasy MMOG's and not some of the other titles...

The thing that got me about WoW is that the players are for the most part complete asshats...nobody want to help anyone or talk to anyone...despite the fact that the dos command line interface that is the chat function is completely w*nk to say the least i have found myself feeling like i was playing a fantasy version of KOTOR...

the game is for the most part incredibly boring and i was utterly let down by this so called game of the year. imo its going to be a pretty crap year if this is the best we get.

I know having played eve that warcraft is going to be a completely different kettle of fish but every time i log to WoW i find myself logging after 5 mins and just feeling bored.... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭joe.

This is my first MMORPG and I can safely say Its probably the best game I've ever played. Put it this way, I got it yesterday about half 5 pm(as in Saturday) and I'm only pulling myself away from computer now. No ****. Even at that I want to go back and play some more. Handily enough a new server was made very recently so it was like starting new with everybody learning from beginning. Lots of helpful people and lots of fun. Thumbs up from me

joe. wrote:
    Put it this way, I got it yesterday about half 5 pm(as in Saturday) and I'm only pulling myself away from computer now. No ****. Even at that I want to go back and play some more.

Yeah i played for circa 12 hours when i got it first...i can 100% see where your coming from...but omfg its just so crap now...im only trying to level with you tbh...i know why people like this kind of game...but (to me) its longevity is just zilch...i cancelled my account having read this thread...thats how much it bored me...and i have sat down and played eve for 2 days with no sleep even 18 months after i started playing...maybe its just not for me but for someone who started playing WoW with no knowledge/expectations of the game (never even saw a pic/screenshot) i was utterly disappointed after 3 or 4 days...thats my 2 cents...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

playes EQ, EQII, COH, EVE and WOW

EQ was the worst followed by WOW.

the rest were all very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,560 ✭✭✭Ivan

I find it difficult to take the opinion of people who liked the veritable, Massively-Multiplayer-Screensaver, that is EVE, seriously.
    WoW does take some willpower to handle the grinding I'll say that. The quests are designed to break up the monotony that comes from all MMORPG (Mining in EVE anyone?) The meat and bones of WoW (imho) is PvP. Its difficult for some to stick with it long enough to get there, but it helps if you break up the xp with some PvP every few levels.
    Getting in a guild is pretty much essential too, if you want to stay sane/interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

Spacedog wrote:
    OK, I've had this game almost a week, I am a level 20 nightelf rouge at this stage and can't bear to play another minute of this boring game. All the quests are exactly the same, the fighting is repetitive, using the same sequence of spells/moves again and again.

As for playing online, why even bother? if the game ran off line there would be little diffrence considering the limited interaction between players. I am playing on a normal server, fair enough. I assumed it was just the RPG element wasn't my cup of tea, but today, a hoard invasion of ashenvale meant I could kick into pvp mode and try out the "action". front of the line for the battle, the orcs appeared for two frames as the lag kicked in, one moment in the distence, next approaching me, next my ghost in the graveyard.

This is my first time playing a online RPG, and assumed that I'd give it a shot as it is one of the most anticipated in the genere and because of blizzards reputation for quality. (of course the artwrok, detail and music of WoW is fantastic). Are all games of this type as boring? What is supposed to keep me intrested in gameplay no more sofisticated than a barcode battler past the first week?

Well everyone has their own perspective on things, so I can respect the fact that you don't like the game. Perhaps its a genre issue, as MMORPGs aren't exactly everyone's cup of tea.

Now I've played, Legend of Mir, Lineage II, Dark age of camelot, Star wars galaxies, Planetside and now WoW.

Overall DAOC was the best experience. WoW however far surpasses it and the other games in terms of everything that has been implemented in it thus far. The real make or break is going to be the Honor system and battlegrounds. Its only when these are in that we can really judge WoW's PvP system. And then i can compare it to what I considered the best of the past MMO's I played which was DAOC, till they ruined it with stupid PvE expansions.

As for the quests being the same. Thats kinda true, there are different kinds of quests that are repeated in one way or another throughout the game. However if you think this is boring then I don't think you will be able to handle leveling up in ANY MMORPG. As most MMO's the leveling is just a pure grind. In WoW, if you want to, you can pretty much quest your entire way to level cap. Most of the quests have a cool backstory to them if you bother to read it. Personally I used to hate quests, and never bothered with them in any game till WoW.

I think your server choice might be playing a large part in the interaction or lack thereof your seeing. In europe most players are on the PvP servers. So yes, playing on a PvE server you will not find as many players to interact with. Secondly if you chose a low pop server this will further compound the problem. As for interaction, maybe you are doing something wrong here, but I've had pleanty of it. I'm in a guild, we do instances together, help each other in PvP, no matter where I go I run into other players. The thing with WoW is that they have made it such that it is possible to Solo the entire way if you choose to without grouping at all. This has its own downfalls and benefits, but overall is much better than a game where everyone is FORCED to group and spends ages looking for a half decent group.

Also If your going to play on a PvE server then you are basically playing "wimp" mode. Your removing half the content and all of the challenge of the game for yourself. From my point of view its stupid and silly to play on a PvE server or any PvE mmorpg, you might as well be playing single player. Try playing on a PvP server. And not till level 20 because your safe till then. But try playing till level 30, on a high pop PvP server, and then come back and tell me about lack of interaction.

Again this is personal experience here, but I have never had any problems with lag or complete break down of FPS. Even when I was playing on the US servers, though my ping was affected by the distance my lag was good. I think this might just be a problem with your pc being crap or having a poor connection of both. But i have had 0 problems with FPS and lag in WoW on european servers. Please tell me when was the last FPS game you played online with more than 20 players on either side of the battlefield?

At the end of the day however, I get the feeling that MMORPGs just might not be your cup of tea. But drawing an analogy to battlefield. Would you play battlefield with only bots? If not then why are you on a PvE only server in the first place?

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 9,632 Mod ✭✭✭✭mayordenis

Ivan wrote:
    I find it difficult to take the opinion of people who liked the veritable, Massively-Multiplayer-Screensaver, that is EVE, seriously.
    WoW does take some willpower to handle the grinding I'll say that. The quests are designed to break up the monotony that comes from all MMORPG (Mining in EVE anyone?) The meat and bones of WoW (imho) is PvP. Its difficult for some to stick with it long enough to get there, but it helps if you break up the xp with some PvP every few levels.
    Getting in a guild is pretty much essential too, if you want to stay sane/interested.

i didnt particularily like EVE i think that says how i feel about about WOW.
    I did all the usual craic with wow like you said got guilded like you would in any mmorpg, lads on the guild were all grand but the game just doesnt hold my attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Don't like it? Don't play it.

Not everyone is going to like every game out there. There's plenty of other games out there for you to play, no one is making you play WOW :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

mayordenis wrote:
    i didnt particularily like EVE i think that says how i feel about about WOW.
    I did all the usual craic with wow like you said got guilded like you would in any mmorpg, lads on the guild were all grand but the game just doesnt hold my attention.
    Say it ain't so!

Gonna sell your copy?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Gizzard

some people will never get the attraction of MMoRPGs, battlefield 2 is more your type which is fine
    Spacedog wrote:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Grinding is in every MMORPG in different ways, the repetiveness is their but you can try and mix it up a little to keep your self from getting bored.

Agreed with everrything Ivan and others said.

Bottom line is this, grinding is the "work" of leveling so you can get to the end game and finally start playing PvP, killing real players as opposed to mobs which is where all the fun begins.

I hate PvE. But even at that I dont find it repetive or dull xping atm, I actually quite like it, it can be fun, of course you have to kill mobs and all that but they are varied and they send you all over the places so you get to explore the map and get bonus points for seeing new places !

I think its great :) getting some good friends and a good decent fun guild makes it all so much the better as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭BKtje

As for the lag, WoW has piss-poor net code and handling. Big raids tend to turn into horrible lagfests.
    I actually disagree here. In still playing in the states and while i do get lag during huge attacks its nowhere enar what u described. That said even my pc takes a bit of a hit where theres a lto of action (fps drops to about 20-30 at andorhal cos of all the mobs milling about).

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Haven't played WOW at all. However if you are only playing for a couple of weeks it generally means you have seen very little of the game. Also you could try rerolling up a new character (I assume that is possible in WOW).

I don't mind PvE as long as there are good storylines and a large amount of areas to explore, other then that I like PvP too, although I generally suck at combat :)

its strange the difference in tastes for mmporgs. I started off with DAOC (beta) and I've been trying different ones since. Absolutely loved DAOC but got bored after four years, and Atlantis just sucked.

I've subscribed at different stages to EQII, EVE, DAOC, AC, AC2, UO, AO.

Did beta of GW, WOW, Ballerium, and a few others.

Overall, I've liked WOW the most. (DAOC is still the best for community and RVR) WOW just makes sense, for graphics, units and storyline. Sure you have a slugfest for exp, and items, but EVERY mmporg has this. If you're not prepared to slug away at getting exp, buy a topped out account, or go play a fps. MMPORGs are not for you, unless you are willing to camp a spot for a couple of days killing the same creature, getting the same loot, seeing the same animations etc.

And just to show how different tastes are, I hated EVE. :rolleyes:

Just one other point. At home I have a 56k modem. It sucks beyond belief for any large battles, with any mmporg. Thing is tho, I have decent playablity for WOW and otehr games, for normal gameplay. And while WOW has its issues, its still one of the better games to play on a modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 696 ✭✭✭Kevok

Personally I find that the meat of the game isn't in the grinding/questing but playing with other people.

I'd suggest finding a decent guild full of helpful friendly players. Some of the best fun to be had in the game is going on a raid with a guild. Yesterday I went on one to Darkshire and it was lots of fun, we dominated for all of 10 minutes until a massive (and I mean massive) defense was raised by the alliance that squashed us. They then proceeded into ashenvale and raided Zoramgar. Didn't receive a single xp for 4 hours but it was fun, which is really all that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭zekiel

One aspect I would like to see in wow is some place, were a guild could have a base... castle, whatever and perhaps ownership of lands, In EQ2 (I hated it by the way) you have a room in an in which you can furnish.. store things in and so... in wow you have no place of real residence which I dont like.
    Another thing which for friends starting out is that once a smal group put in the hours and break away... thats the last you can see of them because you are several levels behind and unable to follow. So your then on your own and leveling up.. granted you can meet up with other gamers, but its no the same as having a laugh with mates.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

crack.jpg

staying true to my 5 point plan of mmorpg addiction i successfully played and quit the game ages ago (a day before the euro beta stopped). it was taking over my life. i'd eat, sleep and **** wow daily for about a week until i realised that i wasn't going nowhere. warnings from my friends about kicking my ass if i didn't put the game down and come out to play did it. that and the risk of getting fat, increased propensity for bone loss and muscle atrophy did it for me (im still in the camp of people that think these symptoms evolve from play and not because the game is played by people who are prone to them).

oh yeah. the game was too simple. the only joy of the game was leveling up, and how old is that concept? no sooner did the game go live in US and Europe you'd get news of people reaching lvl 60 grillion and half in 3 days of constant play. staying true to the history of the warcraft lore, it was fun to control the characters from the franchise and custom build them in your image. quests were also fun, and the added joy of sharing quests with your friends made the game stand out.

the bad points remain the economic constraints of the game. with only one auction house per race and small npc vendors, there was hardly any expansion for player owned shops (free market of spamming the chat windows seems a bit crude). In the beta i could have made a killing by opening "adnans house of linen" or the only kebab shop in auberdine. (cause i was a fiend with cooking skills).

the rest of the game is beautiful, and runs fine on a mid spec pc. i'd love to play it again moderately with friends and complete quests in a timely manner, play through numerous instances while exploring the lands of azeroth. but seeing as it is over populated with people desperate to level up on some dodgy servers, its not everything its made to be. plus, its crack times twenty.

-adnans

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Dude, if you don't like repetitive questing/grinding then ou obviously shouldn't have gotten an MMORPG in the first place, because that's what most of them are.
    WoW is not supposed to be an overly enjoyable experience levelling up, it's like DAoC, getting to 60 is a grind but once you're there you get to End-game, a.k.a. PvP.

I think a lot of you are being far too harsh on this game, considering most of you haven't passed the level 30 barrier yet, I personally have never seen a more well made and polished MMORPG in retail, it's brilliant.

I don't know if it'll have the long term playability of DAoC, due to in my opinion, a far weaker grouping system, but I can see myself playing it for a good while yet, providing it doesn't ruin my Leaving Cert!

adnans wrote:
    its crack times twenty

Ditto.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

you've obviously never had crack then

:rolleyes:

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Hello everyone, I'm a recovering EQ junkie.

Now I've switched to wow, join us, its blisssssssssss.... </zombie voice>

I agree with Cina that is a highly polished game and that since most of us havent gotten passed 30 we really havent seen much of the real game. I've got a couple of comparisions to make with EQ though... (I only played EQ 1)

Death where is thy sting? Dying in EQ was a disaster, it meant losing up to an hour or more's hard grinding just because someone ELSE pulled some massive train and then died, right beside you. That single thing caused me to leave the game.

Wow is far far more forgiving. Its not that its nothing to die, it costs ever more money to repair your stuff, its sometimes a long run and in an instance its a real pain to get back where you were, but its not a stomach churning catastrophe. Corpse collection is far better too. Sometimes I do think there should be more of a penalty for dying but it would reduce the next big difference between the two.

For a game with "Quest" in its title, Everquest didnt have a lot of quests. Well, quests you could be bothered going on! Also, every quest was a break from grinding which meant that you didnt make xp. That sucked as there was little incentive to quest or explore, except when the mob you were camping became too low to give reasonable xp. That sucked. In Wow, I feel like if I wanted to wander into a 50+ level zone, I could do so. Ok, I'd need to be REAL FOOKIN CAREFUL but I feel like I can explore a bit more without the ever looming spectre of death and XP loss.

I love the quest system in Wow. Its real straightforward and I enjoy reading the backstory to the Defias Brotherhood and what have you. We did the first instance dungeon yesterday (Amp and I and a few pickups) and it was a lot of fun, tough and quite long though and ultimately the group had to break up but we did well and by the end of it I found I'd gone froma bubble into 19 to being a bubble short of 20. That would have taken several days of hard grinding in EQ.

So, I expect to get to 60 inside 2 months I reckon, maybe 3. Thats ok for me, if it gets boring then then I will find something else (like HL2 that I still have only started!) but I dont think it will...

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

What about the gameplay? that's my main gripe, it's not a fun game to actually play, sure PVP is great but there is no interaction in fighting, no skill involved on the part of the player.

The closest example I can think of is Winning Streak.

If your is apponent is 4 levels above you, you are guarenteed to lose a fight, if 4 below you are guarenteed to win, anywhere anywhere inbetween and this winning streak/barcode battler randomness kicks in, where the outcome is decided by chance and probability algorithms, instead of the players skill.

Example, to fire a bow/shoot a gun, you click on your target and press the shoot key. then sometimes you have a random chance of hitting or missing. why not give you a crosshair and let you shoot them yourself, if your a good shot, you'll hit. the same with the fighting, they could have made it as fun as tekken, where you have to respond to attacks and counterattack when the guard is down. but you just right click and watch the game play itself. I feel no more involved in a battle than I did using a hero in Warcraft 3.

I'm not saying WoW is a bad game whatsoever, I'm simply saying there's much room for improvement in the MMORPG genere if WoW is an example of one of the best it has to offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

You didn't play for very long though, did you? You admit that.

You can't really complain about the PVP when you haven't gotten past level 20 or 30, as others have said. Once you're higher, of course levels make a difference, but if you know what you're doing you can beat people that are levels above you. You also can't say it isn't a fun game to play because that's your opinion, and not fact. I'm having tonnes of fun, and it's pretty much the only thing I'm playing at the moment.

It just really sounds like MMORPGs aren't your cup of tea. So who cares? Play something else. I don't like sports games and I don't feel bad about it, the rest of the world seems to like them plenty but it doesn't bother me. That doesn't mean I think the whole genre is flawed just because I don't enjoy those games.

wtf is it with people saying that if u dont like WoW then u wont like mmog's or rpg's...thats such a load of crap...

i love EvE and KOTOR and lots of other games and i still think WoW is a crap

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

"People" are not saying that you wont like mmorpgs just because you dont like wow. They are saying spacedog probably wont. A point which I agree on. Been playing WoW since release for hours each day. Decided to take a break from it today and will get stuck in again tomorrow.

it was a general remark made to spacedog...and im disagreeing with it...

WoW is certainly the weakest game i have played in a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 2,387 ✭✭✭Cina

Spacedog I don't see where you get the "there's no skill in PvP" from, anyone who's played DAoC knows the HUGE barrier between guilds in PvP (Nolby Pride anyone?) PvP is very skill based, in WoW aswell, judging from early experiences.

The truth is, anyone who has played MMORPGs before that I know, and enjoys them, LOVES WoW, fair enough if you don't like MMORPGs in general, but it's a bit stupid to diss one MMORPG in particular just because they don't fit your tastes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,967 ✭✭✭adnans

if i give you a stick with angry bees and spacedog's address will you go and beat that point into him without arguing on the forum? k thx bye

-adnans

Advertisement