Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contracts

Options
  • 21-02-2005 2:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭

Are all contracts valid for a year with the 3 operators?

Saying this as someone I know is moving here for 6 months. They don't need a new phone so can they just join a network or is a 12mth contract a necessity? (...if a 12mth contract is needed, can you end it after 6mths giving appropriate notice?)

All help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

AFAIK all 3 operators operate 12-month contracts.

You can end a 12-month contract (before it is finished). However, you will be required to pay out the remainder of the contract i.e. if you end the contract on 6-months, well then you have to buy out the remaining 6-months (it is a contract after all).

alternatively, if the person does not care and is leaving the country after 6 months................

i believe this is the case. you might want to check out the 3 operators (see their websites for more info).

http://www.vodafone.ie
    http://www.o2.ie
    http://www.meteor.ie

--laoisfan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭laoisfan

just a further point....

a contract is not necessarily a necessity. it depends on several factors.

for example: if one uses it for work and claims the phone back as expenses then yes a contract is required....

but that is just one case, i am sure there are others.

if the person does not care if they have a contract and their phone is sim and network unlocked they can go prepaid.

--laoisfan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

thats what i thought, thanks for the info anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hes going to need to be resident in Ireland though. To get a contract he'll need a recent bill/ bank statement (proof of address) and photo id (Passport/ drivers licence)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 pentesh

vodafone used to operate in such a way that you could get a prepay sim card and register it. then you could upg to a bill paying account with:
    NO CONTRACT
    NO NEED FOR ID's

however you could not avail of a handset from the networks range.

the contract is only stipulated when connecting to a network and buying a new handset coz they are often giving you hundreds of the price of the handset.

However i have a good feeling that they stopped doing this. you could contact Vodafone RTG HelpDesk on 1850 20 8787.

Or perhaps meteor or o2 do the same. vodafone defo did do it though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

pentesh wrote:
    vodafone used to operate in such a way that you could get a prepay sim card and register it. then you could upg to a bill paying account with:
    NO CONTRACT
    NO NEED FOR ID's

however you could not avail of a handset from the networks range.

the contract is only stipulated when connecting to a network and buying a new handset coz they are often giving you hundreds of the price of the handset.

However i have a good feeling that they stopped doing this. you could contact Vodafone RTG HelpDesk on 1850 20 8787.

Or perhaps meteor or o2 do the same. vodafone defo did do it though.

Thanks for that, have to see if its possible

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

just tel him to buy a pay as u go o2 t630 for 130 with 70 or 80 credit. and have 2 sim cards, one for peak and one for off peak so calls will be 13 cent max. sims are 10 euro with 30 credit. use telestunt for international calls. if he does this it will be much cheaper than any bill pay phone. trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭kazzer

Really good idea using the two sim cards lomb.

Advertisement