Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION crash

• 21-02-2005 3:44am

I was formatting a floppy disk earlier on, but it seemed to be taking absolutely ages. I had headphones on so couldn't hear if the disk was just bad or not.
    Anyway, it started locking up my machine so I took the disk out, after which I was hit with a Stop error 0x0000009C MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION message. Fair enough, I did something I shouldn't have. But after resetting the machine one of my hard disks was detected in the BIOS as garbage characters instead of the usual "SAMSUNG SP0411N". I turned off the PC and back on again, it was detected normally, but then Windows was moaning that my network cable was unplugged. So I shut it down, unplugged the PC from the mains, then after that it was ok.

I'm just concerned about the hard disk. The BIOS said the following:

IDE Primary Master: ST340014A
    IDE Primary Slave: (long line of garbled characters)
    IDE Secondary Master: LITE-ON LTR-40125S
    IDE Secondary Slave: HL-DT-ST DVD-ROM GDR8161B

It all seems ok now but I'm feeling iffy. Do I have anything to worry about?

One other question. Any time I get a Stop error it always seems to be when I'm doing something, so when I reboot some files are damaged. I'm considering turning off the hard disk's write back cache in an attempt to prevent this from happening. Will this cause a significant performance drop on a modern PC? My box is an Athlon 64 3000+ with 512MB RAM.

Advertisement