Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Advice on buying fiesta

Options
  • 21-02-2005 10:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,530 ✭✭✭

I'm nearly certain I will buy a 00 Fiesta 1.25, it has 89,000 miles on the clock, just wondering is this far too much for a fiesta of this age? At just under €4000 it seems a good deal. I know the average mileage is around 15,000 per year, but how much mileage would a fiesta like this last for?

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It may depend on how many miles do you do a year?

Average mileage is 12k a year so the average for a 00 would be around the 60k mark. While the Yamaha designed engine would more than likely be able to take high mileage I think when you go to sell the car on you may find it difficult to shift it with over a 100k on the clock. Also other parts such as gear box or clutch may not wear as well as the engine. You could end up spending money on it soon.

Might be better to find a low milage Fiesta that is only used as a runabout or second car, you will pay a little more for it but it may save youself hassel in the long run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

my 00 1.25 zetec has 53k on the clock had 89k on an 9 year old sunny once !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 228 ✭✭daggeredge

BTW a friend of mine has an 82 fiesta with 140k on the clock and not once has it failed to start for him!!!!! fuel economy is shot though....personally I wouldn't go 4 the 89ker you'll easily make up the €2/3k in repairs if it starts to feck up........make sure timing belt etc is changed and get a mechanic to have a look at it! the guy who owned it would want to have been doing some mileage for it to have that on the clock so possibility he didn't care about the car (thrashed the gearbox etc.) a grand or 2 to fix!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

What bazz26 said. It does seem like a good price though, but make sure you'll check it thoroughly. PauloMN here has a '00 1.25 Zetec for sale. PM him for info

• Closed Accounts Posts: 291 ✭✭Paul (MN)

unkel,

Paulo (MN) is but a pale imitation of Paul (MN) (me) who has the Fiesta for sale!

Thanks for the plug though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,399 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Ah I thought there was something wrong, sorry Paul :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

These are a good car if looked after and not abused but don't suffer the sort of treatment often handed out to 'first' cars. The mileage is high IMHO for a five year old Fiesta and since we don't have motorways, it won't have been easy on the suspension, brakes, drivetrain and ancillaries. Have the car checked over by someone you trust and if it is a private sale be very certain that it is in good order before parting with cash. There are plenty of lower mileage Fiestas around, and this one though well priced, may be priced to sell due to a hidden fault or accident repair.

Try to drive two or three of the same model before choosing, to see if there is one you prefer and then haggle hard if you find a better one.

'c

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Thats not excessive milage the main things to worry about on these cars are wishbone bushes,track rod ends and play in the steering column joint.Also jiggle the gear stick to check for play in the linkage a sure sign of a rough driver.the engines are quiet strong i know of one with 180k on it and still going strong.By the way my mondeo has just gone past 300k with just the usual stuff like clutch,Timing belts and regular servicing.

Advertisement