Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Terminating a Lease Agreement

Options
  • 21-02-2005 11:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭

First of all I know there was a thread started on this before, I read it but situation is slightly different so I said Id start a new one.

Like the title says, I want to terminate my house lease. Ive been renting there for 6 and a half months but I signed the lease for a year.

I understand that I can give the landlord one months notice which is fine, but what about my deposit?? The lease agreement doesnt mention anything about whether I'll loose my deposit or not which Im worried about :(

Am ring the landlord tonight to give my notice, I just want to check what my legal rights are regarding my deposit... just in case the landloard turns around and says Im not getting it back.

I chekced this up on oasis as well but it just says that it depends on the conditions in the lease.... but like I said already it doesnt say anything about it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,388 ✭✭✭✭Victor

You made an agreement, you now want to break it. The landlord is the aggrieved party. That you pay monthly is merely a convenience between two parties and has little to do with the length of the one year lease.

He is within his rights to have either (a) you pay to the end of the lease (for which you are allowed access) or (b) you pay (advertising, vetting, loss of rent) to get replacement tenants (c) accept some payment for loss of income.

In practice, give the landlord as much notice as possible and try to agree something reasonable like (b) above. While landlords don't like replacement tenants in a falling rent market, neither are they going to be complete unreasonable about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭trotter_inc

Ok cheers.

Rang him last night and he was really nice about it - said there's be no problem with me leaving :D

Advertisement