Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAZI's and bad memories

Options
  • 21-02-2005 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭

With the recent "blunder" by Prince Harry wearing a Nazi costume to a fancy dress party, among others who made comments comparing such and such to Nazi's:

Is there really anything wrong with somebody wearing a Nazi costume to a fancy dress party. It is a fancy dress party at the end of the day.

If someone is liable to be compared to a Nazi for wearing such a costume at a party,it would be the same as comparing actors who play Nazi's in movies as Nazi's.

People dress up in costumes like pirates, other kinds of soldiers, pharoes, etc. to remember or mark a historical period. Whether we like it or not, Nazi's are part of history.
    Also, Jewish community always say "never forget". By trying to stamp out these "gestures" they are ignoring the Nazi's.
    It would be easier to get over what happened if they didn't hide the problem, but by excluding that part of history from society is merely hiding the problem.

Any comments?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭shltter

who gives a **** what the parasite wore

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

shltter wrote:
    who gives a **** what the parasite wore

I'm not specifically talking about Prince Harry, but in general society.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

I think the point that was being put forward was that it was inappropriate for a public figure or representative to dress in such a manner. Harry Windsor (or Harry Saxe-Coburg-Gotha), whether he likes or not and by unfortunate accident of birth, is such a public figure or representative in the UK. Had he dressed as a slave trader, Black ‘n Tan or Soviet Commissar he would also have received criticism - although probably not as much.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Is there really anything wrong with somebody wearing a Nazi costume to a fancy dress party. It is a fancy dress party at the end of the day.
    Yes but Harry isn't an ordinary citizen, much as his rebellious pugnacious attitude wants to demonstrate otherwise. He's a representative of the State and, as such, is duty bound to reflect his Nation and its peoples - including knowing those who would be outraged by his attire.
    If someone is liable to be compared to a Nazi for wearing such a costume at a party,it would be the same as comparing actors who play Nazi's in movies as Nazi's.
    Not a valid comparison. Actors are paid to portray Nazis in a role and aren't choosing to do so. Harry, of his own violition, chose to dress up and play Nazi. There were plenty of other choices there for him.
    People dress up in costumes like pirates, other kinds of soldiers, pharoes, etc. to remember or mark a historical period. Whether we like it or not, Nazi's are part of history.
    Quite. How was Harry marking the period? By boozing it up with his upper class mates? He wasn't commemorating anything at all - just wearing an outfit that he probably talked looked neat, in some way, and didn't bother thinking about the social consequences.
    Also, Jewish community always say "never forget". By trying to stamp out these "gestures" they are ignoring the Nazi's.
    It would be easier to get over what happened if they didn't hide the problem, but by excluding that part of history from society is merely hiding the problem.
    Again, it's the fact that Harry appeared to be trivializing the issue. He's in the media spotlight and a certain decorum is expected, a bit of public sensitivity. He showed none here.

There's a wider issue though as to whether people, in general, should be allowed without being ridiculed but, for Harry, I think it's a no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 396 ✭✭Rossonero

I'm not specifically talking about Prince Harry, but in general society.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

We need new etiquette.

How about:

OMG! You're worse than Darth Vadar! (instead of Hitler or any other real-world figure)

You're such a stormtrooper! (instead of Nazi etc)

You're on the dark side of the force! (instead of you're a fascist/autocrat/communist/whatever)

That's just as bad as the death star! (instead of holocaust/concentration camps etc)

And so on. This might prevent all these boring controversies and allow history to be discussed and remembered by those who have gone to the trouble of learning about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 790 ✭✭✭Redleslie2

Mr. Saxe-Coburg-Gotha is just doing what comes naturally to his family I reckon.

_661966_hit150.jpg

In the guy's defence, it's not really his fault he's been bred to believe in his own inherent superiority over the mudblooded plebs. Sometimes I think wealth and privilege is as much of a prison as poverty is. Other times I think nah that's arse, hang all of Europe's aristocrat scum.

Advertisement