Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Canadian French

Options
  • 21-02-2005 3:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭

I watched la Peau Blanche last Friday on TG4

I guess I haven't heard Canadians speaking french before because I could only understand about half of it!!!

Its such a strange accent :eek:

I remember the Canadian dramas on TV5, but they had French subtitles so I guess I never really listened to them!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I caught the end of that film - seemed quite cool.

That's one of my first times hearing Canadian French as well and I agree that it's very odd - they seemed to be pronouncing "d" like "z" in some cases iirc! I suppose you'd get used to it if you spent some time over there, though!

It's funny how you can tell from the style of the houses that the film is North American and not French - my bf figured that out even though he doesn't speak French at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭D

I had a conversation with a french guy over this. He said that the dialect of the French Canadians was very archaic compared to france.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭Oddysseus

D wrote:
    I had a conversation with a french guy over this. He said that the dialect of the French Canadians was very archaic compared to france.

Oui, ça c-est vrai. Moi, je deteste le 'Quebeca'. J'ai été en Canada, a la cote de Montreal pour 2 mois. Je parle français...mais j'ai rien compris. :mad:

...so I tried to speak english....ppl told me "we speak french here".

I just said, sorry that's not french to me... :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 834 ✭✭✭dearg_doom

I am actually lol-ing!!

yeah I heard the French don't like the Canadian dialect!!

simu wrote:
    I caught the end of that film - seemed quite cool.

That's one of my first times hearing Canadian French as well and I agree that it's very odd - they seemed to be pronouncing "d" like "z" in some cases iirc! I suppose you'd get used to it if you spent some time over there, though!

I'm glad you said that - I wasn't sure if I was listening correctly there!! Also, the ending '-ant' seemed to be dropped, eg: 'croissant' was pronunced 'croisse'!!!

simu wrote:
    It's funny how you can tell from the style of the houses that the film is North American and not French - my bf figured that out even though he doesn't speak French at all.

yeah, I got that from the cars moreso! I know what you mean though, but I thought that even though the buildings were obviously American, they also had a huge French influence - all the windows had shutters, there were overhangs over the roofs/doors.

still, I'd like to go over someday :)

• Advertisement

dearg_doom wrote:
    I am actually lol-ing!!

yeah I heard the French don't like the Canadian dialect!!

btw - I am NOT a french citizen. ;)

I am also NOT english, irish nor american or canadian.

oh right :)

I'm not French either... I am Irish though !!

where are you from?
    Oddysseus wrote:
    Oui, ça c-est vrai. Moi, je deteste le 'Quebeca'. Je suis été en Canada, a la cote de Montreal pour 2 mois. Je parle français...mais j'ai rien compris. :mad:

...so I tried to speak english....ppl told me "we speak french here".

reading this story again, it's funny how these guys were as arrogant as the real French are :rolleyes: must be a Francophone thing..

dearg_doom wrote:
    oh right :)

I'm not French either... I am Irish though !!

where are you from?

well...my father is from East Kilbride. enough said? :)

Advertisement