Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motor/Switch?

• 21-02-2005 4:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Bit of a hacker when it comes to electronics & stuff, but hope you can point me in the right direction. I'm looking for a small widget, that can control the flow of water. Current idea is to have a tube with lots of small holes in it. I want to be able to turn on/off the water flow at will. I know I could easily use a motor to control something covering/uncovering it, but motors seem a little inappropriate for what is just needs to be an on/off motion. (not to mention slow)

So, are there on/off devices like that. It's probably called something basic.

Also, if anyone has any other suggestions that'd be cool.

thanks all!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 459 ✭✭nmacc

If you simply need a binary on/off device, your simplest solution is probably a solenoid valve from a washing machine. Easily scrounged from a machine near you; or, if you don't have one handy just pop down to your nearest scenic beauty spot and I'm sure you'll find some scumbag has dumped one in the ditch.

They rarely go wrong and thus usually survive the machine. Might be best to avoid one from a hard water area however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭theCzar

how would you use the solenoid? to insert/extract a plug?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

theCzar wrote:
    how would you use the solenoid? to insert/extract a plug?
    You would remove them and the pipes and wires connected to them from the old washing machine.

Mains voltage is nasty, but since the solenoids are just inductors thier DC resistance would be a lot lower than thier AC resistance so you might be able to run them off 12 to 24 V DC - much safer - but don't forget the freewheel diode to take care of the back emf. IIRC most are spring loaded so are normally closed.

Advertisement