Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Skype portforwarding

• 21-02-2005 4:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭

Hi
    I have Skype on Eircom BB with Wireless Netopia router.

Is there a best configuration setup for pinholes to improve quality and cut back on lagging?

Can anyone post the setting?

Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

sorry for slightly changing the topic
    but i got a sister on bb in oz and i want to conect with her using this program. would you please recomend a good head set for using on skype?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

This might help

http://www.skype.com/help/faq/technical.html
    I can’t connect to Skype from work or due to a restrictive firewall. Which ports need to be opened in order to use Skype?
    If you aren’t familiar with firewalls or ports, it may be a good idea to ask a system administrator or tech-savvy friend to help you. The minimum requirement is that Skype needs unrestricted outgoing TCP access to all destination ports above 1024 or to ports 80 and 443 (the former is better, however). If you don’t allow either of those, Skype will not work reliably at all. Voice quality and some other aspects of Skype functionality will be greatly improved if you also open up outgoing UDP traffic to all ports above 1024, and allow UDP replies to come back in.

As for the 2nd question. Any headset is grand TBH. There is a Skype branded one in PC world for about €20

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭sailorboy

cheers mate
    ill get on down and pick one up the weekend
    is any of you guys in touch with over seas pcs/ oz usa etc and is it as good as they say
    im still trying to get over free pc calling to my sister in 0z.lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭DrEvil

i was just about 2 post that link! :)
    In the quest for even better voice quality, it is also advisable to open up incoming TCP and/or UDP to the specific port you see in Skype Options. This port is chosen randomly when you install Skype. In the case of firewalls, this should be easy to arrange. In some routers, however, you cannot configure incoming UDP at all (but you still can configure incoming TCP port forwarding, which you could/should do).

using headphones/headset intead of your speakers is also better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

Rew wrote:

Hrmm yeah I saw that and its really what prompted me to post.

I mean I can set ranges for ports but how do I set 1024 upwards on both internal and external ports? I can see the internal range but not external.

• Advertisement

There is a random port selected when you install Skype its in the options menu under the conection tab. Forward that port from your router to your PC and Roberts your mothers brother ;)

The outgoing stuff is done for your (your router wont restrict any outgoing trafic trust me). When you do the forwarding make sure to forward both UDP and TCP.

From the FAQ:
    In the quest for even better voice quality, it is also advisable to open up incoming TCP and/or UDP to the specific port you see in Skype Options. This port is chosen randomly when you install Skype. In the case of firewalls, this should be easy to arrange. In some routers, however, you cannot configure incoming UDP at all (but you still can configure incoming TCP port forwarding, which you could/should do).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,552 ✭✭✭✭GuanYin

What about this bit though:
    If you aren’t familiar with firewalls or ports, it may be a good idea to ask a system administrator or tech-savvy friend to help you. The minimum requirement is that Skype needs unrestricted outgoing TCP access to all destination ports above 1024 or to ports 80 and 443 (the former is better, however). If you don’t allow either of those, Skype will not work reliably at all. Voice quality and some other aspects of Skype functionality will be greatly improved if you also open up outgoing UDP traffic to all ports above 1024, and allow UDP replies to come back in.

syke wrote:
    What about this bit though:

Dont worry about it your modem/router wont restrict outgoing conections only places like colleges and big companies do that, trust me. Forward the incoming port and your done.

Advertisement