Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't send texts on unlocked Motorola

Options
  • 21-02-2005 7:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 34

Hi

I bought an unlocked Motorola C385 off Ebay, and I'm using a Vodafone Pay as You Go SIM with it.
    Everything works perfectly, including the MMS and WAP services (through Vodafone).
    Only thing is that I cannot send text messages. I can receive them, and I can also send them using an O2 contract SIM. But sending always fails when sending with the Pay as you Go card.

I can only assume that the message centre number needs to be changed to Vodafone, as it was an Orange phone originally. However, with this particular model, there are no menu options to allow me to change the message centre number.
    In the models such as the C350, you could go into Message Settings and change the message centre number, this no longer has that option.
    Is it possible that the message centre number is "locked" into the phone somewhere? If so, how can I change it?

I read somewhere that the older SIM cards were 5 volt, and the newer ones are 3 volt. Do you think my SIM card could be too old?

Vodafone is unable to help, because this model is not available in Ireland yet. Orange were unable to help because they couldn't find the menu option to change the service centre number either.

Please help!
    Thank you!

Comments

You have two options:

1: Put the SIM card into a different phone and change the message centre, since this is stored on the SIM, not the phone.

2: Hack the software using a data cable to enable the message centre settings. This is possible btw, lol, I've done it many times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 Delerium

Hmmm...

The message centre number is definitely correct on the SIM, I have been using this SIM card in another phone for years. I put the card in the other phone and checked all the settings, the only thing that I changed was the option to use GPRS, I changed this to Yes.

Still not working though....

Could it be something other than the message centre number?
    I used the Vodafone site to send through those update messages so as to update the operator settings, they didn't have my phone model so I used the C350 one out of desperation. Do you think this could have had an effect?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

You should not attempt to send SMS via GPRS as Voda dont support it. Can you send SMS with that SIM in other phones? I think you've implied yes, but just to be sure!

Yes, I have been sending texts for years with that SIM in a Nokia phone.

I have changed that GRPS setting back to No.

Just a thought...

I can definitely send texts using my O2 card, so this is definitely SIM-related.

If it is due to this voltage thing, do you think it's worth getting Vodafone to send me a new SIM?

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Do you know anyone else with a VF SIM you can try? I'm not sure if you "lose/break" it if VF charge you for a replacement or not... If you can prove a newer one works then might be worth trying for a new one from VF. But yes, it does sound SIM related.

Ahaaaaa!!!

I used someone else's Vodafone SIM to send a text from the phone and it worked!

So my SIM is definitely suspect. I have an ancient SIM card, it still shows up as Eircell instead of Vodafone....

so methinks it's time for a replacement!

Thanks for your help! I have spent about 11 hours scouring the web for info on this!

Big happy head on me now :D

Advertisement