Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Decent place to play pool

Options
  • 21-02-2005 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭

Any recommendations on a good place to play pool, that doesn't cost a fortune

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Mardyke is good and there be no kids there running around like there is in the leisureplex

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,054 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

I second that, the Mardyke is the only place I can think of but it's pretty good anyway. There might be pool tables in that arcade place across the river from Merchant's Quay, but it always looked like a bit of a hole to me...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,148 ✭✭✭✭Raskolnikov

solice wrote:
    Mardyke is good and there be no kids there running around like there is in the leisureplex
    The LeisurePlex is a terrible place to play pool, tables and cues are in bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

The Mardyke is probably the best. The tables and cues are awful but you don't usually have to wait long and there's a good atmosphere. The gaff Fysh is talking about is the Victoria. Last time I was in there the tables were OK but the place was full of knackers. For serious pool playing - get your own table :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭7mountpleasant

Upstairs in the Gill tavern in Gillabbey street. Downstairs is pretty scummy but upstairs there is 4 pool tables. Pretty cheap and you can have a pint while you play.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

7mountpleasant, thanks for the tip, I'd completely forgotten about the Gilabbey.

It's just that we were in the Mardyke the other night as it's just around the corner from the house, but it was fairly pricey. Or so I thought. And the baize on the tables was in bits. Though it is a nice venue none the less.

are there still pool tables on the balcony of the multi functional hall in UCC?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,429 ✭✭✭brettmirl

solice wrote:
    are there still pool tables on the balcony of the multi functional hall in UCC?
    Take a stroll up and look yourself, ya lazy fecker! :p

as im sure you are well aware i dont have the time to venture anywhere past the library. that and its up two flights of stairs so tits to that i say

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

I've gone off the mardyke... I was in there last week, it's still as ridiculously expensive as ever for the crap table we got. Looked more like a vomit stained minefield than a pool table.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

If you're serious about pool the mardyke is a disaster. The tables and cues are terrible and there's wicked slopes on every table. The last time I was there you needed steels to stand at one end of the table cos both pockets had holes. It's really for situations where you're meeting up for a pint and a game of pool is just an excuse. It's a nice atmosphere, you can get a pint and there's a comfy bar downstairs.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,235 ✭✭✭Dave147

The Gill tavern at 6 to 8 on wednesday nights we (UCC pool and snooker club) run competitions 2 euro a man, great craic guaranteed.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭namaimo

What nobody suggested the classy establishments of The Vic or The Wonderboy... Shame...

The Vic is full of *ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭rymus

tracksuit & shiny white reebok wearing, elizabeth duke toting, bumfluff tash culvitating, scooter driving, burberry baseball cap perching, boy racing out and out knackers.

"soooooooooooooEEEEEEEEEEEEE"

*ahem* =
    tracksuit & shiny white reebok wearing, elizabeth duke toting, bumfluff tash culvitating, scooter driving, burberry baseball cap perching, boy racing out and out knackers.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Amnesiac_ie

Yeah there are still pool tables upstairs in Áras nz Mic Léinn in UCC. €1 per game.

Advertisement