Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

request from iol for new packages to launch in mid march

• 21-02-2005 8:03pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭

anyone any realistic demands from esat for the new packages considering smarts entry into the market. what would stop current subscribers deserting esat to move to smart apart from the obvious pricing :D

il start with realistic download limits on the current 16gb package. web radio and video/tv streaming mean the 16gb caps are a joke for their top flight product. i would suggest 40gb up and 40gb down as a realistic benchmark. also the download sped at 512 are fine but the upload speed needs to increase to 256.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

40gb up and down
    1.5mb d/l
    512k u/l

all for about €20 per month realistically speaking,if Ireland is to get anywhere near like any other country

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GaRtH_V wrote:
    40gb up and down
    1.5gb d/l
    512k u/l

all for about €20 per month realistically speaking,if Ireland is to get anywhere near like any other country

wow 1.5gb d/l don't think anywhere has got that (residentially) wink.gif

1.5mbit down
    512kbit up
    40gig limit up and down

would be great even at 30 euros this would fly off the proverbial shelves

NTL do 1.5 down and 1.5 up.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

GaRtH_V wrote:
    40gb up and down
    1.5gb d/l
    512k u/l

i think the 20 euro bit is dreaming. usa prices would dictate 35ish or a little more euro to b a very fair price. all this talk of broadband for a tenner is unviable for any company imho. remember tax isnt applied to the quoted american prices. with data rates at 5 cent a gig, i would def say 35or a little more is a fair price from the consumers point of view for 1.5/512 or a little slower even, doesnt really matter and 40 gig caps .

good service also very important, esats billing dept needs new software :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

GaRtH_V wrote:

they don't offer this residentially do they?

• Advertisement

Cremo wrote:
    they don't offer this residentially do they?
    yup,not too sure about the u/l but deffo the d/l

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭andrew163

Realistically?

1.5Mbit down, preferably 2Mbit..
    at least 256kbit up

30GB cap

I'd be willing to pay €35 or €40 a month for that...if it was of high quality (to see what I mean by high quality, try using a Clicksilver connection, then try an eircom connection...... as much as eircom is the root of all evil in the universe and the reason I've got a cold, my dog died, and there's conflict in the middle east, their connections are actually of higher quality.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,718 ✭✭✭SkepticOne

Identical to Smarts service except higher speed up and down. I think Esat will need to do this to compete.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,981 ✭✭✭✭Giblet

1mb/256 30 gig cap for 40 would make my year.

Did anyone hear anything about new packages or is this speculation.

If anything I would think they might bump our cap to 20 gigs and leave the speeds the same til about Christmas.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭Spunog UIE

Giblet wrote:
    1mb/256 30 gig cap for 40 would make my year.

same and what I'd expect really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭Lex_Diamonds

Jeez, ask for decent speeds lads, if your going to ask at all. This cap in hand bollox for measly 1.5meg is embarrasing.

"Please mr.esat sir can I have a really inferior product compared to the rest of the known world? Id be willing to pay over the odds!"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

20GB is too little considering data transfer is very cheap. if they want to maintain current speeds and pricing i would move towards an 'uncapped' product like on the continent or the uk, if they want to keep customers.
    they should remember loyalty counts for something but they need to give alot to compete meaningfully,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭CyberGhost

1mb/256
    50GB cap

would gladly pay 50 for it

btw is eircom upgrading too?

I'm currently on dial up, and march looks to be a busy month, everyone seems upgrading, I was wondering if I should maybe wait for eircom's announcement(if they plan to do anything)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭chorus techy

GaRtH_V wrote:

No, ntl has 256k up on the 1.5megabit package tongue.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

speeds dont bother me too much
    ill happily continue paying 55 + line rental for 512/128 with a 30 - 40 gig cap

anything else would be a bonus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,761 ✭✭✭✭Winters

But the questions is ... if they upgraded their products, would they upgrade the existing users.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Chalk

they always have done in the past,
    and im sure they wouldnt encourage many new customers if they leave you behind when they upgrade.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

surely eircom have to upgrade their speeds/caps first before esatbt/iol can upgrade their packages? theres been no word from eircom about any upgrades so far this year. the current eircom/esatbt/iol/utv packages have not been upgraded in over a year now so lets hope it happens very soon, what with ntl and now smart offering decent speeds to a much wider audience, i think it will be laughable if eircom dont upgrade their service and offer higher speeds, broadband should be made minimum 1024k/256k, i dont think im asking for too much as that is still considerabley less than the new competition. As for a capless residential service i cant see that happening on eircoms packages for a long time to come.

Advertisement