Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIN Update

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inaudible

i went to the listening party in chicago yesterday and got to listen to the whole album.

it is great. period. very introspective, the last track has more emotional octane than "hurt" & "the great below" combined. it has a neat '20's pop sound and what sounds like a contrabass! the first song has him singing in falsetto, sound like an 80's song - there are 2 VERY 80's sounding songs.

every song on the album is very drum heavy - alot of them have the same characteristics as "march of the pigs" or any number of faster NIN songs.

they didn't tell us the name of the songs, but there's a really goods one where the chorus says something along the lines of "it's all about me" - very good.

--this is the most mature album he has ever made, even more existential than the fragile. i suspect this will be one of his most popular albums, even more so than "the downward spiral" -- yes, it's that good.

i preordered the new album and am getting a 7" LP of "the hand that feeds" and "home" (an unreleased track)

that's my $0.02 - hope it was enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 inaudible

there isn't one single instrumental track on the entire album.... this would be the first album since "pretty hate machine" that doesn't have an instrumental. i don't know if it's relevant, but i thought it was worth mentioning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 472 ✭✭Metacortex

inaudible wrote:
    i went to the listening party in chicago yesterday and got to listen to the whole album.

it is great. period. very introspective, the last track has more emotional octane than "hurt" & "the great below" combined. it has a neat '20's pop sound and what sounds like a contrabass! the first song has him singing in falsetto, sound like an 80's song - there are 2 VERY 80's sounding songs.

every song on the album is very drum heavy - alot of them have the same characteristics as "march of the pigs" or any number of faster NIN songs.

they didn't tell us the name of the songs, but there's a really goods one where the chorus says something along the lines of "it's all about me" - very good.

--this is the most mature album he has ever made, even more existential than the fragile. i suspect this will be one of his most popular albums, even more so than "the downward spiral" -- yes, it's that good.

i preordered the new album and am getting a 7" LP of "the hand that feeds" and "home" (an unreleased track)

that's my $0.02 - hope it was enough.

Sounds good. I can't wait to hear it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

I'm dissapointed about the lack of instrumental, but I know he'll be back with more in the future, fingers crossed anyway, I'd love to hear an entire album of instrumental work, maybe with a whole orchestra :D

One thing that The Fragile lacked IMO was the lyrics, a lot of the stuff, while good was very basic rhyming etc, much like Pretty Hate Machine. Not to say the lyrics were bad but they were very basic and didn't suit the complex music well in some parts. I hope this album is a return to form, a la TDS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

Sure we'll propaly have the With Teeth remix album before christmas, sure they'll be some instrumental on that, it be interesting to see how this album goes down, from what I've read it could be there most accessible, I'd say some Foo Fighters fan will check them out, maybe gain a whole new audience QOTSA style.

• Advertisement

Buck Owens wrote:
    Sure we'll propaly have the With Teeth remix album before christmas, sure they'll be some instrumental on that, it be interesting to see how this album goes down, from what I've read it could be there most accessible, I'd say some Foo Fighters fan will check them out, maybe gain a whole new audience QOTSA style.

according to Mr. Reznor himself:
    questions6.gif

So no remix album on the way, but hopefully a new album within a year or two, rather than 5 or 6

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

best picture ever

nin_molotov.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

nin is to appear on cd:uk next week

lots of kids expecting an album filled with catchy tunes will buy it now...

nin is to appear on cd:uk next week

lots of kids expecting an album filled with catchy tunes will buy it now...

are you for real? please tell me your calender is fúcked up and this is a belated april fools joke?!

heres what actually happened during the CD:UK show

"After an amazing show on Thursday night, my friends and I waited outside the back entrance in a bid to meet the almighty! After waiting around for about an hour we overheard the roadies say that all their equipment was going to CD:UK the following day-our jaws dropped!
    The next day on the phone, I rang up ITV Telesion Studios and found out that they were, in fact, playing! The best part was, we could have free tickets to see them! We made our way down, at the appropriate time, dressed in black, slutty clothes, expecting to see a convoy of NIN fans, but there was only the six of us!

The studio was tiny and there was only 200 people in there. There was no barrier at the stage AT ALL -- think "within touching distance" and thats where we were! After 2 & 1/2 hours of being forced to scream for the most appauling R&B chart rubbish and Italian TV link, word had escaped; NIN were on the move! Half of the teeny-bopper audience left, leaving the other half, us and 5 other NIN fans. I positioned myself directly in front of Trents mike...

The production team wanted to record some links, Jeordie White was smirking, Jerome didnt look too impressed(quite bored actually) and Trent was just quietly laughing with the rest of the band with a look on his face that said "what the hell are we doing here."

Me and my friends started cheering for them, it was mental-my god was standing in front me. I caught his eye and mouthed "I love you!" He smiled at me, yay! They played "The Hand That Feeds" three times and we all got abit of a mosh on. I dont think CD:UK knew what had just hit it! The last time was the best. Trent threw his plectrum on the stage. There other NIN fans were screaming for the stage guys to give it to them. He picked it up and came and gave it to me personally! Rock On!

After they finished, we legged it outside to try to meet the band. We waited for 10 minutes and then Trent walked out of the front exit. I ran over to him and he said "Well, that was a bit weird" to which my boyfriend replied "Ah well who booked you for that gig!" I asked if he would mind signing my copy of The Downward spiral for me. My friends had been mocking me, saying if we did meet him, I'd go crazy. Ha, they were were a dribbling mess on the floor, and I contained myself quite well! He was so lovely, he signed all our friends CDs, posed for all our photos, gave me a hug and a kiss. Yes! And oh my godness, what a nice guy. He was so friendly! We waved him off into the distance watching, while we were all puddles on the floor!

There must have been some serious crossed wires over the bookings because CD:UK is a pop show for teenagers, however, this crazy situation that formed, resulted in us meeting him, a once in a life time experience. I can't wait to see the pictures! SCREENING IS NEXT SATURDAY AT 2AM ON ITV- WATCH IT!

2005-04-02"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

Numina wrote:
    SCREENING IS NEXT SATURDAY AT 2AM ON ITV- WATCH IT!

2005-04-02"

Is it really on that late? Is that Saturday morning or Saturday night?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭Buck Owens

heh heh, I did'nt think that they'be THAT accessable, next week TRL :D

it's true, they be playing CD:UK. unlike that report, it's on at 11:30AM this coming saturday. someone fuxx0red up, not exactly knowing what CD:UK was

it's true, they be playing CD:UK. unlike that report, it's on at 11:30AM this coming saturday. someone fuxx0red up, not exactly knowing what CD:UK was

well, it is repeated at 2am on one of the mornings, so not totally fuxx0red

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

Heard the album, thought it was cack.

AlcoholicA wrote:
    Heard the album, thought it was cack.

yeah?
    I'm guessing you're a fan of his previous stuff.
    So what was cack about it? too heavy, too soft, too poppy? what?

Oh, and where did you manage to hear it?

at 1 or 2 AM (check bbc.co.uk) trent will be a guest host on the radio 1 rock show. to listen in, plug in your coaxial tv cable in the back of your stereo and tune into 99.7FM (i think). alternatively,listen online (it is archived)

I think it's time for one of those infamous "Irish take over the internet" jobbies....

rock.show@bbc.co.uk, e-mail himself for tonights show and ask him if he's coming over to Ireland... you'll get an auto response from the show, hopefully he'll respond!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Certainly should be an interesting show I only wish it were on at an earlier time. Have to up at seven tomorrow :mad: .

Alos just heard THTF this week. It's ridiculously catchy. Good tune, I'm excited about the album even more now. Can't wait to see CD:UK, should be....an experience.

I'll try to record that show off Radio 1 tonight. You can listen on Sky Digital, just tune into: 10803 H SR 22000 FEC 5/6

The Gonzo MTV2 appearance is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 9pm. The CD:UK show will be alongside the likes of Rooster and Ciara :confused:

• Advertisement

anyone manage to record the show? My connection died at about 2 (due a virus I didn't realise I had), and I missed the second half of it. I listened to the rest today on the stream but the tracklisting has Home (the extra song due to be released on the vinyl of With Teeth) but it didn't seem to happen on the stream... did they cut it because it's supposed to be rare or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Just finished listening to the stream. I enjoyed it, most of the music he played was good too and there were some bands I'd never heard of that I'll definitely be looking into again.
    Unfortunately he didn't say anything about an Irish gig however he ded say that he'll be touring for the next year pretty much. So there's still hope.

Roll on Gonzo tonight. The vcr is set and ready to go.

flogen wrote:
    anyone manage to record the show? My connection died at about 2 (due a virus I didn't realise I had), and I missed the second half of it. I listened to the rest today on the stream but the tracklisting has Home (the extra song due to be released on the vinyl of With Teeth) but it didn't seem to happen on the stream... did they cut it because it's supposed to be rare or something?

My plans to record it didn't exactly work out. Somebody might be posting it soon on echoingthesound.org

So, watched MTV2's Gonzo, what can I say really, it was an interview about things you probably already know. but it does give an insight about why Left is better than Right on The Fragile. The following NIN videos were played also, The Perfect Drug, Closer, The Hand That Feeds, March Of The Pigs. Quite a treat!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

The albums totally rubbish compared to previous efforts, its like he didnt even try the majority of it feels like nothing more than background music, I was constantly waiting for the kick in that never came.

I made a rip of the Gonzo interview. It's just the interview bits, I edited out the videos. 18 minutes long.

Torrent: http://www.thepiratebay.org/torrents-details.php?id=3313131&hit=1

nice one plazzTT. By the way, that NIN gig torrent you listed before, did you get it all? my download seems to have halted at around 30% or so...

I was able to download the FLAC all right, it was 511MB. I remember there being very few seeds, so they might be gone now. There should still be torrents of it out there. I found one for the MP3 version here.

thanks.
    I got to watch that Gonzo show last night, as was said, nothing really new, he kind of gave more about himself away on the Radio 1 show.
    It did help me to remember just how much or a twat Zane Lowe is, he's even more of a moron than he was on Brand New all those years ago. I mean, if I were interviewing Trent Reznor I'd be excited and I'd find it hard to contain my excitement, but I'd have some professionalism about me, and more importantly some dignaty. He spent the whole thing trying to look cool and impress Reznor, and wouldn't stop saying stuff like "represent".
    Did anyone else notice when Reznor was talking about the Fragile and he was pretty much controlling the interview, just talking about whatever he wanted because he was getting stupid crap from Lowe, he started to talk about listening to the album again now, and Lowe half-heartedly tried to look like an interviewer and said "Yeah... what did that sound like?". I think he was getting to that, you tool.

/rant

• Advertisement

flogen wrote:
    thanks.
    I got to watch that Gonzo show last night, as was said, nothing really new, he kind of gave more about himself away on the Radio 1 show.
    It did help me to remember just how much or a twat Zane Lowe is, he's even more of a moron than he was on Brand New all those years ago. I mean, if I were interviewing Trent Reznor I'd be excited and I'd find it hard to contain my excitement, but I'd have some professionalism about me, and more importantly some dignaty. He spent the whole thing trying to look cool and impress Reznor, and wouldn't stop saying stuff like "represent".
    Did anyone else notice when Reznor was talking about the Fragile and he was pretty much controlling the interview, just talking about whatever he wanted because he was getting stupid crap from Lowe, he started to talk about listening to the album again now, and Lowe half-heartedly tried to look like an interviewer and said "Yeah... what did that sound like?". I think he was getting to that, you tool.

/rant
    lol...let it out man. no one here will judge you...

Advertisement