Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NIN Update

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭flogen

Just thinking, does anyone know what the packaging is like? Just in relation to this comment:

questions9.gif

Mainly the bottom two paragraphs... it interested me when I read it first, I just hope it's not some stupid let down, like a slight varience on a digipack or something

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,330 ✭✭✭radiospan

flogen wrote:
    Just thinking, does anyone know what the packaging is like? Just in relation to this comment:

questions9.gif

Mainly the bottom two paragraphs... it interested me when I read it first, I just hope it's not some stupid let down, like a slight varience on a digipack or something

I just bought the album. It's €20.99 in both Virgin and HMV. It seems that the last two paragraphs in that answer Trent posted on the website is referring to the fact that there are NO album notes, and NO booklet with the digipack.

The inside cover of the digipack has a tracklist and just:
    Produced by Trent Reznor and Alan Moulder
    Complete information: www.nin.com/with_teeth

I guess the album notes will be available for download from that website on Tuesday.

The 2 UK bonus tracks are "Home" and "Right Where It Belongs V.2".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

Whoever asked what the artwork will look like, Here ya go,

http://www.9inchnails.net/wt_art.jpg

hrm.... fair enough. Surely they could have made better packaging, though. Tool never print lyrics and that but their lateralus cover was amazing. Oh, and is that FBI warning on all copies or is that just an American one?
    Maybe the site will have more than just lyrics though... perhaps thats what the big picture is!

Anyway, will be picking it up later today, and the vinyl if I can find it.

flogen wrote:
    Oh, and is that FBI warning on all copies or is that just an American one?

Just the American one I think, it's not on the UK version anyway.

• Advertisement

picked it up today, looking forward to seeing the site running, I hope it's more than just lyrics and THTF video, and some photos of trent and band. I want something big!

Anyway, Home is alright, heard one of the live versions and it was much better than the studio version, and the v2 of Right where it belongs isnt that good.

Vinyl hasn't arrived for anyone interested, or the DVD/CD hybrid. HMV and Soundcellar said next week sometime for th vinyl anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Awwww a digipack :(. My CD holder isn't very kind to them. I'll certainly be picking THTF up tomorrow, can't wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,135 ✭✭✭✭John

Got it today. I've listened to it once and I must say I like it. It'll need a few more listens but I think it's a cracker of an album. I would have liked more stuff like he did on Still but meh, more NIN is more NIN. And I like the artwork, nice and minimalist. The scans above don't do it justice, when you have it in your hands and can take in the detail it is a very beautiful sleeve.

Oh and I want a vinyl copy too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

picked it up on friday. my first impression was great, but then i felt a bit tired and so the album sagged towards the end. the more i listen the more in love i am with it...

now trent, get the bejaysus over here :(

• Advertisement

There was a mention of NIN coming back to the UK later this year (after their summer tour), so maybe they'll include an Irish date then.

'Still' is once again for sale on nin.com, their merch store is open, it's cool, and for those of you who missed the THTF's digipak, thats also for sale there

The deluxe version of And All That Could Have Been/Still pops up in town the odd time for crazy prices. I paid £20 for it when it came out, I see it for over €60 sometimes in HMV. That's mad. But Still is a great album, still, after all these months.

John2 wrote:
    The deluxe version of And All That Could Have Been/Still pops up in town the odd time for crazy prices. I paid £20 for it when it came out, I see it for over €60 sometimes in HMV. That's mad. But Still is a great album, still, after all these months.

soundceller tbh, got the delux edition of it (ATCHB and still) in there for... erm €28 I think. Saw the live DVD in HMV for around €45 the other day...

Looks like the NIN site has finally been updated so we can see what this big picture is that Reznor was on about
    (www.nin.com/with_teeth)
    It's similar to the Audioslave album, in that you need the CD in your drive to access the information on it...

[edit] Just checked the site, you need to use IE firstly, and you need to have a login for the site (and obviously an original copy of the cd). It installs loads of CD verification stuff and then verifys the CD, but I've been having trouble with mine on more than one machine... according to theninhotline.net a lot of the UK(and Ireland) CD's arent being recognised, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭hostyle

flogen wrote:
    Looks like the NIN site has finally been updated so we can see what this big picture is that Reznor was on about
    (www.nin.com/with_teeth)
    It's similar to the Audioslave album, in that you need the CD in your drive to access the information on it...

[edit] Just checked the site, you need to use IE firstly, and you need to have a login for the site (and obviously an original copy of the cd). It installs loads of CD verification stuff and then verifys the CD, but I've been having trouble with mine on more than one machine... according to theninhotline.net a lot of the UK(and Ireland) CD's arent being recognised, so I guess we'll just have to wait and see!

Bah. He can **** right off so. I am not going to use IE, and I am not letting any random website install random crap. Any idea what its about?

Just a page offering the download of the album lyrics/artwork/credits:

Viewing Version (5.3MB, PDF)

Printing Version (20MB, zipped PDF)

The printing version is so called for a reason, it's very hard to view it properly on a PC.

flogen wrote:
    soundceller tbh

That's indeed where I got mine from

plazzTT wrote:
    Just a page offering the download of the album lyrics/artwork/credits:

Viewing Version (5.3MB, PDF)

Printing Version (20MB, zipped PDF)

The printing version is so called for a reason, it's very hard to view it properly on a PC.

having a look over them, a lot of extra verses and lines that dont appear on the finished work... the lyrics used may be from his original demos or something, fingers crossed he includes some of them on the site soon!

Yeah, there's even one whole song printed on the lyrics page that isn't on the album ("The Life You Didn't Lead"). There's also a mention of "The Warning".

Maybe future B-sides?

Explained on nin.com:
    questions1.gif

• Advertisement

It's a nice idea alright, and I'm looking forward to seeing it develop... but how am I supposed to print it off?? Something tells me A4 will be too small, and besides, the amount of ink it would use!
    Trent, send me a cheque for €50 so I can get more black ink and i'll print whatever you want!

The album should come with a token for Reads or something.

He could at least have made it printable as a booklet, and not just a "poster".

plazzTT wrote:
    He could at least have made it printable as a booklet, and not just a "poster".

someone on echoingthesound.net has made it into a booklet... will find the thread now...

edit: http://www.echoingthesound.org/phpbbx/viewtopic.php?t=10441
    there ya go!

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Devious

Well after listening to the album for the past 3 days I have to say i'm disappointed.

The thing I love about NIN is that on one hand you'd have vicious, spiky numbers like Heresy, Mr. Self Destruct, Star****ers Inc. etc and along side them have something completely mellow and haunting like Hurt, Great Below, Warm Place and so on. This album seems to be full of tracks that just sit in a kind of a bland no mans land (from what i'v come to expect of Trent anyway) of thumping drums and dull vocals. Thats not to say there isnt some good: I can definitely see The Line Begins to Blur and Right Where It Belongs becoming two of my favourite NIN tracks; however theres far too much chaff with the wheat (Beside You In Time is just awful, full stop)

Anyway, thats just my two cent. Given further listening im sure it'l grow on me some more, but thats not someting im used to with a NIN album (even The Fragile hooked me on first listen)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 487 ✭✭fortysixand2

Hmmm. Beside You In Time was my favourite track on first listen, and still is. then again, The Fragile is my favourite NIN album full stop.

Have to say, I'm a little disappointed in W_T myself, the whole thing actually seems to be more of a parody of his own work than a proper NIN album. I think that there are four or five songs I'd have kept and scrapped the rest of the album, condense it into an EP . . . but that's just the disappointed fan in me talking :p I do quite like Sunspots though, and I got the single of THTF - the remixes are actually quite good, for 1) NIN remixes (horrible track record) and 2) dance/dub remixes generally.

That be my 2 cents :)

EDIT: just noticed the post at the top of the page (it's 5am, leave me alone, I'm allowed to miss details ;)) plazzTT, those two are probably the two tracks that are going exclusively on the vinyl release of the album.

the remixes are actually quite good, for 1) NIN remixes (horrible track record)

:eek: :eek: :eek:

NIN are one of very few bands with so many good remixes. Look at the Sin single, all the mixes are better than the album version. Look at Fixed, some amazing stuff there (granted it's no broken). Further Down The Spiral (both versions) may as well not be remixes but completely different songs. The Closer (Prescursor Mix) is by far the best piece of NIN music from that era. Ok I admit Things Falling Apart isn't the best remix album ever but the Complications of the Flesh remix from the We're In This Together single is ****ing cool!

Sorry, not saying you're wrong, just misguided :p

With_Teeth is now #1 on the US Billboard charts and THTF's is now #2 on the Modern Rock charts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

After 5 years of build up it was pretty much impossible for this album to meet everyones expectations. Needless to say it's gonna take more than a few listens for some fans to forget what they thought the album should sound like (and that's no bad thing). Like Trent said, it's all about him challenging us and vice versa.

After the first listen my favourite track was 'Every day is exactly the same'. With my second it was 'Right where it belongs'. Basically, it changes with every listen and for me that's the sign of a great album.

I think the poster is a cool idea. You guys are right about it being a pain to print though...Still, I think it's worth it and I'd be happy for Trent to do it again on the next album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

"beside you in time" sends chills up my spine when the guitars kick in... mainly because of that 30 second clip months ago... that was the first new NIN piece to be heard in years... and it was awesome.

i'm addicted to the album. now all we need is NIN to pay us a visit :(

Advertisement