Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Info needed

Options
  • 21-02-2005 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭

hey guys, i'm planning on pursuing a career as a tattoo artisit, however i'm in the position of not having and friends already in the business so i'll be going through the route of teaching myself and begging to be taken on as an aprentice over then next few years

the info i need is basically about the medical knowledge i'll need (if any) before i ever do any work on anyone, so if anyone can help with that or anyone with any decent tips or advice about how to go about getting an artist to take me on, not the generic "dont waste your time" stuff, i'd really appreciate it. i'm 21 btw, if that matters in the slightest.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

Just guessing here but I'm thinking some form of portfolio is going to be a help. Also, bear in mind you'll be tattooing yourself as part of your apprenticeship so if it's not something you want, get out while you still can. Also, there's not many better incentives to be the best you can than to have your practice work etched in your own flesh. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

ah yeah, the portfolio and the practicing on myself are a given. wouldnt touch anyone else if i wasnt confident of tattooing myself first

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I'm thinking all you have left is to build up some form of rapport with an artist and just persist until they agree to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Do you have many tattoos yourself? If not, get some, you'll make friends with some artists that way and how many tattooists do you see with bare arms :)

If you're not in art school, you should apply. I know quite a few tattooists and they all went to art school and have degrees in fine art or illustration. You could maybe think about doing a human biology or dermatology course?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭el rabitos

thanks man, good advice on the dermatology course, i already did a 1 year animation course and i'm planning on going back to get a degree in animation in september.

• Advertisement
Advertisement